IGNORED

Retained List

Sydneybcfc

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I read that as meaning it's up to Wagstaff - is he happy being a squad player and spending most of his time on the bench. If he is we'll keep him, if not then he's welcome to go and find first-team football elsewhere.

Well done!   :clapping:

You're powers of reading between the lines are amazing..........:facepalm:

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We're going to have a big squad then if these rumours of City signing 10+ players are true.

Not particularly - take out the loanees plus perhaps Wagstaff and one or two more leaving, and we're only starting with about 15!  I'd say signing 10 players (including new loans) is about what we need to be doing.

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting comment

Bristol City FC ‏@bcfctweets
LJ: "We'll do everything in our powers in the transfer market but it will probably take three windows before it's a true reflection."

he's said that since he came in, It took cotts 2 windows to sort it out,

Anyway 3 is the target that doesn't mean it can't be done in 1

38 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting comment

Bristol City FC ‏@bcfctweets
LJ: "We'll do everything in our powers in the transfer market but it will probably take three windows before it's a true reflection."

Hmm, a true reflection of what?  A team capable of winning the league?  Has to be really, as it should only take one good window to turn City into a team able to compete consistently in the Championship.

Or does he mean a true reflection of another club?  Leicester City???  :whistle:

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Hmm, a true reflection of what?  A team capable of winning the league?  Has to be really, as it should only take one good window to turn City into a team able to compete consistently in the Championship.

Or does he mean a true reflection of another club?  Leicester City???  :whistle:

Good point. We're gonna need a couple of windows to get into the champions league!

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Not particularly - take out the loanees plus perhaps Wagstaff and one or two more leaving, and we're only starting with about 15!  I'd say signing 10 players (including new loans) is about what we need to be doing.

LJ apparently wants to keep Waggy so I make it 16, plus the likes of Vyner, Morrell, Dowling, O'Leary, Garita, McCoulsky - are any of these to be considered first team squad next season?

With 10 new signings, perm. and loan, which I've heard could be a minimum, we'd be heading for well over 30 pros, which is surely far too many.

Even without the 'kids' we'd then have 2 players for every position, with several extra.

If Vyner (CD), Dowling (MF) and Burns (ST) (even McCoulsky) are seen as genuine prospects then imo. we should be actively trying to unload Williams, Waggy (no new contract even though I personally like him) and Agard for a start, otherwise there will few or no opportunities for these younger players to progress at AG.

A bulging squad, with 10 or more not even on the bench every week, is terrible for dressing room spirit, something we know LJ is keen not to dent.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

A bulging squad, with 10 or more not even on the bench every week, is terrible for dressing room spirit, something we know LJ is keen not to dent.

If we only sign Tomlin we will have a bulging squad - unless he goes on a summer diet!

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ apparently wants to keep Waggy so I make it 16, plus the likes of Vyner, Morrell, Dowling, O'Leary, Garita, McCoulsky - are any of these to be considered first team squad next season?

With 10 new signings, perm. and loan, which I've heard could be a minimum, we'd be heading for well over 30 pros, which is surely far too many.

Even without the 'kids' we'd then have 2 players for every position, with several extra.

If Vyner (CD), Dowling (MF) and Burns (ST) (even McCoulsky) are seen as genuine prospects then imo. we should be actively trying to unload Williams, Waggy (no new contract even though I personally like him) and Agard for a start, otherwise there will few or no opportunities for these younger players to progress at AG.

Every chance if we bring in players that Vyner, Dowling and Burns will get a season loan somewhere. Cheltenham I expect.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Surely two players in every position is the absolute minimum required. No one should have no competition for their spot, as we've found to our detriment in the past. 

I imagine we might see some loan time for some of the newest batch of youngsters like Dowling and Vyner. 

It's a fine line between a depleted/balanced/bloated squad but we need 25 first team players IMO. 

That's two competing for every place on the pitch week in week out and a contingency to deal with injuries/suspensions etc 

It might not mean 2 players for every position. Example Williams could play left back or centre back, asking could play right back, centre back or apparently centre mid. I think as long as we have players that can go in othe positions e should be fine for squad size as it will be supported by the younguns

8 minutes ago, Super said:

Every chance if we bring in players that Vyner, Dowling and Burns will get a season loan somewhere.

Wes has had 4 loans over the past 3 season, he's probably had enough loans now.

Perhaps we'll end up with the likes of Williams, Wagstaff and Agard going out on loan instead?

If we're dramatically increasing the size of the squad with new signings it's hard to see the reasoning behind keeping experienced players who weren't thought good enough even when the squad was much smaller.

5 minutes ago, City169 said:

Slightly off topic, but LJ was asked if any of the loan signings had any pre arranged deals as part of the loan, he said none of them did. Seems those ITK who said we did with Matthews aren't quite as ITK as they want the rest of us to think.

To be fair, after the fiasco that was Gray...Gayle...Clough gate, I imagine the club have finally learned not to talk about deals before they're done!

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You have to take into account that without the availability of emergency, clubs will now need bigger squads to cover injuries/suspensions 

9 minutes ago, City169 said:

Slightly off topic, but LJ was asked if any of the loan signings had any pre arranged deals as part of the loan, he said none of them did. Seems those ITK who said we did with Matthews aren't quite as ITK as they want the rest of us to think.

I'm almost certain Matthews himself said it in his first interview. That's why I've put it on here a couple of times. 

20 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Surely two players in every position is the absolute minimum required. No one should have no competition for their spot, as we've found to our detriment in the past. 

I imagine we might see some loan time for some of the newest batch of youngsters like Dowling and Vyner. 

It's a fine line between a depleted/balanced/bloated squad but we need 25 first team players IMO. 

That's two competing for every place on the pitch week in week out and a contingency to deal with injuries/suspensions etc 

I think SL has said in the past that ideally we'd have 2 players for every position, including a few versatile players.

Much more than that and things get problematical, both financially for the club and team spirit wise for the manager.

We've had very large squads in the past and paid a price with disenchanted players on the training ground, a situation we were told the club is determined to avoid in future.

9 minutes ago, City169 said:

Semantics. Pre-arranged deal vs Pre-arranged terms. If we've agreed an option to purchase Matthews for £X and agreed in principle a contract with him, if posed the question was that a pre-arranged deal I would categorically state "no". Only if it was binding on us to buy and on him to sign would I say that's a pre-arranged deal.

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Wes has had 4 loans over the past 3 season, he's probably had enough loans now.

Perhaps we'll end up with the likes of Williams, Wagstaff and Agard going out on loan instead?

If we're dramatically increasing the size of the squad with new signings it's hard to see the reasoning behind keeping experienced players who weren't thought good enough even when the squad was much smaller.

Agree on Wes, next season is the big one for him. If he's out on loan again then he's gone

On the emergency loans being scrapped, I've missed this - does that mean that transfers can only be done during summer / winter windows now?

46 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

To be fair, after the fiasco that was Gray...Gayle...Clough gate, I imagine the club have finally learned not to talk about deals before they're done!

the club never talked about the deals it was the agents leaking it to the media then it was picked up from on here, the club haven't spoke about deals for 4 or 5 years now

Archived