IGNORED

Vegetarian Options at The Gate

DavidNoble

As a vegetarian since the early Seventies I would love there to be more meat-free options available before a match. Just having one option is insulting. In fact there should be more than one vegan option too. If anyone says we come to Ashton Gate for the football, not the food, then the same can be said about alcohol. I look forward to the day when all football grounds follow the example of Forest Green Rovers and ban the sale of meat forever. 

7 minutes ago, glastonred said:

As a vegetarian since the early Seventies I would love there to be more meat-free options available before a match. Just having one option is insulting. In fact there should be more than one vegan option too. If anyone says we come to Ashton Gate for the football, not the food, then the same can be said about alcohol. I look forward to the day when all football grounds follow the example of Forest Green Rovers and ban the sale of meat forever. 

And the ball, is that still leather?  Also the boots, still leather? 

I I actually don't know the answer to the above. :)

9 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Mmmm all this talking about meat, I'm very tempted to put the bbq on this afternoon. 

Any recommendations for a butchers that does a decent bbq selection? 

Bristol Meat Machine. £20 BBQ pack comes with jumbos, quarter pounders, chicken legs etc. http://www.bristolmeatmachine.co.uk/

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I've never tried Quorn

Give it a go. I love it.

Gotta be honest, I'm not veggie. But I do like veg options. For example, leek and potato pie rather than cheese and onion pasty. 

37 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Bristol Meat Machine. £20 BBQ pack comes with jumbos, quarter pounders, chicken legs etc. http://www.bristolmeatmachine.co.uk/

Give it a go. I love it.

Gotta be honest, I'm not veggie. But I do like veg options. For example, leek and potato pie rather than cheese and onion pasty. 

The ribs in my pic are from there - fantastic butcher

51 minutes ago, glastonred said:

So one meat-free option at Ashton Gate is insulting but banning the sale of meat is ok?...the arrogance..

Why not both? If there's enough demand, of course.

1 hour ago, glastonred said:

You will be waiting a long time.

8 hours ago, BristolCity1992 said:

Probably the club if they are losing out on potential revenues.

It makes sense for the club to move with the times and offer more vegetarian options as more people choose a meat free lifestyle. 

Don't want to get to involved in the debate but when I did eat meat I used to try to eat "ethically" but really there is nothing ethical or cruelty free in ending an animals life early if it's healthy. 

Don't want to get involved in the debate ???  With comments about ending animals life's early to feed us humans you've opened a can of worms!!! 

This is way above my intelligence level so I'm going to leave it. I don't care if u eat meat or don't I just don't want to read about it on a football forum!!

6 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The ribs in my pic are from there - fantastic butcher

Just can't knock em. I spent £20 on a 4.5lb pork belly joint and 5lb turkey joint at Christmas and they were sensational. The same 2 things in Tesco I was looking at about £30. 

I always get my meat from there. Well worth it.

10 hours ago, Spoons said:

Don't want to get involved in the debate ???  With comments about ending animals life's early to feed us humans you've opened a can of worms!!! 

This is way above my intelligence level so I'm going to leave it. I don't care if u eat meat or don't I just don't want to read about it on a football forum!!

Yeah I basically feel the same I've always said it's a personal choice. Not sure why so many get defensive about it. 

It's irrelevant if you want to discuss it on a football forum or not and it's quite easy to skip by the thread. There any many threads on this forum about different areas of the club and they are potentially missing out on extra revenue by having one veggie choice with more people giving up meat. Simple really.

The catering is just based on making money, not right and wrong and they'll stock whatever sells best.

I eat meat but would defo prefer better options and don't trust the meat sold at stadiums.

Times are changing though. Daniel Sturridge, Peter Siddell, David Haye are all examples of world class vegan sports stars. nutritionists actually suggests that meat is counterproductive for health, but I don't see many down the Gate who would worry about that!

Denmark banned halal / kosher slaughter a couple of years ago; rightly seeing that it is nonsense to have animal rights legislation in place whilst giving an exemption to people who want to cut living animals' throats.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/denmark-bans-halal-and-kosher-slaughter-as-minister-says-animal-rights-come-before-religion-9135580.html

On 14/05/2016 at 12:27, DavidNoble said:

(Obviously nobody cares and nobody likes to be told about how to eat etc. but it is national vegetarian week next week and I challenge some of you to try some of the Quorn meat substitute alternatives; they're cheaper, more healthy for you, protects the environment, and saves animals. I was a huuuuge meat eater for the first 24 years of my life and have recently gone vegetarian for the past 3 months and don't miss meat at all. I know this will get shot down as I used to be the same but just educate yourself into the sourcing of meat products and try make a reduction where possible.)

The idea of Quorn puts people off.  It appears like Veggies wanting their food processed and meat-shaped.  Why not just make a meal out of non-meat foods without all the processing?  Hot and spicy curried lentils is as tasty a curry as I've ever had.  No need for a packet or box.

Its one reason I love the Mediterranean and it's street food.  Loads of superb, cheap, easy food as simple as can be.

Archived