IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

Maybe other clubs got the impression he'd be coming here, could be him letting other clubs know nothings official to alert them? ;)

I doubt it, if a club is interested regardless of speculation you'd think they would contact his agent. Sounds like to me it's a hurry up to us to make a offer that he'd be willing to sign or I'll go elsewhere, maybe has another offer already? 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Bo Andersons dietician said:

It could be interpreted in so many ways.

Maybe he just wants the people inundating him with 'sign the deal' tweets to shut up for a bit and let him enjoy his holiday!

Would imagine his timeline has been full of desperate tweets from a variety of people so no doubt he would want an end to that

3 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

dear oh dear, look I have no idea how it works, nor do you. But your comment is rubbish. There has to be an offer for negotiations to start, same with anything..i think.

No offer has been made. Nothing has happened regarding signing LT, that's the way I see it. At the end of the day he maybe way out of the budget, if so fair enough.

If you make a deal with someone, the very first thing you offer, before negotiating something that gets agreed, isn't going to be what your official offer is. 

Not hard to understand that.

This whole thing is bonkers. I think our Lee just likes having a bit of a laugh on Twitter. The official offer to Bournemouth was always likely to be the easy part to this saga. I don’t think we’ll be quibbling if it’s £2.5m or £3m. And I expect it to be the last thing that happens. Bournemouth want to recoup as much as they paid Boro. They’ll probably get a little less. It is slightly mischievous of Tomlin though to be tweeting this. Is it a come and get me tweet? No. It’s a ‘chill everyone. Your club haven’t actually put in an offer yet.’

You can see why he wound Bournemouth and its fans up. He’s not the shy, retiring type, but it’s these kind of players fans love to love. The polarising type.

No reason not to believe him though. Similarly, when he laughed at us supposedly tabling £1.5m for him. It’ll clearly be somewhere near the £3m mark. You’d like to think that once an offer comes in, all the negotiations with wages and any other extras will have been taken care of.

I’m guessing normally clubs make an offer, then work on terms. But, we’re in a different situation here in that we can’t afford to pay £27k (or whatever he really is on) a week, so it’s needing some creative work behind the scenes. Surely by now he knows what we can afford to pay him.

I just hope this is all resolved one way or another soon because it’s doing my head in.

No point making an official offer to Bournemouth (I suspect we already have discussed and unofficially agreed the fee) until we've done the hard bit - personal terms with Tomlin. And that is going to be tricky. But the closer it gets to Aug 31st the more likely Bournemouth will do a deal on paying up his expensive contract. They won't do that when there are still 2 and a half months left for someone else to come in and pay him what he's earning now. 

10 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Very odd tweet

No official offer to AFCB, or no official offer to the man himself? I can't imagine MA or LJ would be overly chuffed with LT putting this out there

Nope. This is what he's like. I have a feeling this will be resolved one way or another by the end of next week. For the sake of everyone's sanity. 

We were prepared to offer 9 million for at least one striker this time last year plus salary, joining fee etc.. If Lee Tomlin costs 3 million then Mr L has saved 6 million. He can offer Lee a 3 year contract with an annual salary of 1 million. Mr L will still be 3 million better off from last year's fiasco. That's not even taking the 2015 salary offer into acciunt! So, good business sense?

Well actually, no. My subjective viewpoint is that I'm a full time carer to my wife and I receive 62 pounds a week!  Lee does not deserve that amount of money, mind you no footballer does. However, since when has modem football been in line with the business world? 

And that's the conundrum BCFC face in negotiations. 

If I was offered one million pounds a year to work within the football business world,  would I take it especially after my comment above?  Too right I would! 

It's not Lee's fault for wanting the going rate.....I just wish the bubble would burst and common sense prevail......there's a flying pig ouside wearing the new City away kit with a hash tag on it. I think it says Making BCFC 82 Proud!

I read it as all the Bristol City fans want me and maybe they'll put pressure on the club to make it happen. I think he wants to be here but I don't think he wants to take a massive pay cut to do it. Simple. The club need to quit messing around with their dividing words. MA says one thing, LJ says another and SL is saying we want premiership football. They all contradict one another. Too many people involved maybe. How hard could it be? Lee Tomlin needs 25k a week SL. This is what our budget will look like with him in it. Yes or No?

Very random tweet and can be read many ways as above has suggested. I told my Dad last week that I think this is a defining week in this saga in that he will be signed by Friday or probably not at all.

Once again only gut feel but you would think he would want this resolved before pre-season starts.  The good run and breakfast tweets suggest to me more the side of I'm fit, I'm here - come and get me - whether that is to us or anybody only he probably knows.

Would be sadly ironic if the constant tweets and love in from city fans has actually put him off - but if I was him it would be slightly unnerving but he may take it as flattery - hopefully !!

Personally I think he'll end up here, but if that is the case then i don't think it will be until slightly later on in the window, a month from now maybe. I can't see him staying at Bournemouth next season, and they will try and get their money back on what they paid for him. If we haven't made an official offer then i can only think we're wary of the wage situation, and are trying to think of a plan to get around it. 

The question that we as fans need to look at is: Can we cope without Tomlin?

Yes we can. 

Can we cope without bringing in a goal scoring midfielder?

Arguably not - probably not. 

Now of course,Tomlin is at the top of the list, but i don't think we'll spend all of our time on getting him here. I'd much rather have a CB, RB, Striker and GK in before the season starts than none of them, and no guarantee of Tomlin. 

I'm remaining optimistic, we've made 2 good signings already, and as others have pointed out, a very experienced midfielder who knows a good club when he sees one, he'll have been told our plans to some degree, and which potions we'll be bolstering. I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have come to us over staying at Norwich otherwise, even if we did offer him an extra year. 

We've signed 2 more players than we signed by this point in the 2014 summer window (arguably our best window for a long while). With the start of preseason coming around, things will generally start to pick up transfer wise. 

So, Tomlin or no Tomlin, I'm confident we can compete at this level. - You never know, one or two of the young lads coming through might turn out to be real gems! Wes Burns could start the season firing us to the top of the table! Wishful thinking maybe, but let's be a positive forum for once! 

COYR 

2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

We were prepared to offer 9 million for at least one striker this time last year plus salary, joining fee etc.. If Lee Tomlin costs 3 million then Mr L has saved 6 million. He can offer Lee a 3 year contract with an annual salary of 1 million. Mr L will still be 3 million better off from last year's fiasco. That's not even taking the 2015 salary offer into acciunt! So, good business sense?

Well actually, no. My subjective viewpoint is that I'm a full time carer to my wife and I receive 62 pounds a week!  Lee does not deserve that amount of money, mind you no footballer does. However, since when has modem football been in line with the business world? 

And that's the conundrum BCFC face in negotiations. 

If I was offered one million pounds a year to work within the football business world,  would I take it especially after my comment above?  Too right I would! 

It's not Lee's fault for wanting the going rate.....I just wish the bubble would burst and common sense prevail......there's a flying pig ouside wearing the new City away kit with a hash tag on it. I think it says Making BCFC 82 Proud!

Good point there NI.

I just offered £150,000 for a classic Ferrari but have decided to buy an old Mazda for £200.

I've just saved £149,800 and am now rich beyond my wildest dreams.

Or doesn't it work like that?

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I read it as all the Bristol City fans want me and maybe they'll put pressure on the club to make it happen. I think he wants to be here but I don't think he wants to take a massive pay cut to do it. Simple. The club need to quit messing around with their dividing words. MA says one thing, LJ says another and SL is saying we want premiership football. They all contradict one another. Too many people involved maybe. How hard could it be? Lee Tomlin needs 25k a week SL. This is what our budget will look like with him in it. Yes or No?

I'm saying I'm going to Sleep with Kylie Minogue, and win the Euro Millions Jackpot tonight, but I know it ain't going to happen. If we sign Tomlin it's going to go along way to giving us a good season with a comfortable mid-table finish, if we're going to play the silly BS game again then L1 beckons! :no:

If we haven't signed him yet, or indeed if we don't at all its because it wasn't the right deal for us. Lets not throw a childish strop. Obviously both parties are still trying to find an amicable deal and LT has possibly intentionally put pressure on the club with his tweet today but the club shouldn't be held to ransom by one player.

To be honest I'm getting sick of hearing about it (and the referendum) and will be glad when its over

Archived