IGNORED

Who will be our "Cup Final" next season?

Jack Dawe

Will it be Newcastle, or will it be Villa (yes yes, we'll have to wait and see. Thank you, Major)? By definition, it can't be both. We must decide.

I propose that our "Cup Final" next season (assuming we don't reach a cup final, you know, a final at Wembley with a cup to hoist at the end of it) will be Aston Villa, if only to pee off the Geordie hordes who will already be under the assumption they will be playing 46 cup finals next season (ie, v Villa and Birmingham, and Norwich and Ipswich too).

We have played Newcastle many times since we last played Villa, in the cup (not the final, alas) in 1982. Villa were League Champions then, and on their way to winning the European Cup. We haven't played them at Villa Park since 1979, when we managed to win there, if I recall correctly.

Poor old Leeds though. They really will be pretty humdrum opponents next season and nobody's "cup final." Not that their fans will accept/ understand this, of course. Bless them. 

So, Villa it is then. Unless you think any differently?

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Will it be Newcastle, or will it be Villa (yes yes, we'll have to wait and see. Thank you, Major)? By definition, it can't be both. We must decide.

I propose that our "Cup Final" next season (assuming we don't reach a cup final, you know, a final at Wembley with a cup to hoist at the end of it) will be Aston Villa, if only to pee off the Geordie hordes who will already be under the assumption they will be playing 46 cup finals next season (ie, v Villa and Birmingham, and Norwich and Ipswich too).

We have played Newcastle many times since we last played Villa, in the cup (not the final, alas) in 1982. Villa were League Champions then, and on their way to winning the European Cup. We haven't played them at Villa Park since 1979, when we managed to win there, if I recall correctly.

Poor old Leeds though. They really will be pretty humdrum opponents next season and nobody's "cup final." Not that their fans will accept/ understand this, of course. Bless them. 

So, Villa it is then. Unless you think any differently?

Cheltenham in the 'jpt',for our very own selves??.........really,Villa for me-its been a while and on a personal note my nephew is 'Villa' so added spice!

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Definitely Villa. Just hoping we don't play them between August 8th and Sept 3rd as due to holidays, weddings and Massive Attack I won't be able to go.    

Massive attack gig in Bristol is during international weekend, England play on the Sunday.

It's Villa for me, I started going away regularly in October 79 and have yet to see us play at Villa Park or Goodison.  So Villa away is the first fixture I will be looking for.

Been to Newcastle several times including 'Keegans Return'

Last time we played them in the league was 29th December 1979, we lost 3-1 at home.

Last time we beat them in the league was the reverse fixture 25th August 1979 we won 2-0 away.

Last time we played them was in the FA cup, we lost 1-0 at home. 23 January 1982.

5 minutes ago, Claude said:

Last time we played them in the league was 29th December 1979, we lost 3-1 at home.

Last time we beat them in the league was the reverse fixture 25th August 1979 we won 2-0 away.

Last time we played them was in the FA cup, we lost 1-0 at home. 23 January 1982.

Cheers Claude settle for 2 0 again then

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

Biggest away following - short of an FA Cup tie, guaranteed to be Villa

Wouldn't want to call it our "cup final" as would like it to be the "norm" now, and not just an occasional day out

Doubt it will be the biggest away following as they only make less than 3000 tickets available for away fans, fully expecting Fulham to be our largest following again

• Admin
55 minutes ago, harrys said:

Doubt it will be the biggest away following as they only make less than 3000 tickets available for away fans, fully expecting Fulham to be our largest following again

Good point, and with the fact that they are looking at closing some of their ground next season I guess it could be less likely that we get offered more?

But 'maybe' their crowds are so poor there could be exansion for away fans?

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Arsenal 1 year from tomorrow when we beat them in the FA cup final

I want Man U in the final so we can finally get revenge for 1909. :grr:

As for the league, I think Villa is the bigger game for us, just because we played Newcastle in the league recently.

9 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

It seems a lot of people are looking forward to going to Villa. Is there a priority system for away tickets?

Yes.

By natural selection.

Anyone who can actually work their way through the Bristol Sport online ticket purchase maze is a superior being and is welcome to as many tickets as they want.

49 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I want Man U in the final so we can finally get revenge for 1909. :grr:

As for the league, I think Villa is the bigger game for us, just because we played Newcastle in the league recently.

Aden Flint to take out Rooney and put him on his backside...

Archived