IGNORED

Will You Be Watching the Cup Final on Telly?

downendcity

Mrs D is away for the weekend and I was just deciding what to do today - keep in her good books with a few jobs around the house this morning and then a round of golf this afternoon I thought.

Then I saw the telly while having breakfast and realised it is the Cup Final today and realised today is Cup Final day. How things have changed from when it would have been must see. The only up side is it means I won't be watching Manbloody U!

I'm old enough to remember as a youngster when you looked forward to the final all week and the watched the build up from a stupid time in the morning - how the teams got to Wembley, Cup Final It's a Knockout and loads of other rubbish to fill the time until kick off. The match itself was a major  event especially because back then it was the only live football you got to see on telly.

Do youngsters still get excited at the thought of watching the cup final, or are they convinced that the premier league is the only football worth watching?

18 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Mrs D is away for the weekend and I was just deciding what to do today - keep in her good books with a few jobs around the house this morning and then a round of golf this afternoon I thought.

Then I saw the telly while having breakfast and realised it is the Cup Final today and realised today is Cup Final day. How things have changed from when it would have been must see. The only up side is it means I won't be watching Manbloody U!

I'm old enough to remember as a youngster when you looked forward to the final all week and the watched the build up from a stupid time in the morning - how the teams got to Wembley, Cup Final It's a Knockout and loads of other rubbish to fill the time until kick off. The match itself was a major  event especially because back then it was the only live football you got to see on telly.

Do youngsters still get excited at the thought of watching the cup final, or are they convinced that the premier league is the only football worth watching?

Those were the days ... always remember it was the only day my Dad would let me have a can of his bitter and we'd sit together with big bag of salted peanuts watching the cup final proceedings!

25 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The only time I ever missed it when I was young was when I went gliding at RAF Locking with the ATC.  I will watch it today but these days I generally don't care anymore.

Usually I have a preferred team that I'd like to win so that gives me a bit of interest; these are two of my least-liked teams in the whole league so I don't want either to win.

Sorry Tone, I know that you have Palace leanings but having known several terminally-deluded Palace fans in London I became permanently fed up with them.

I do miss the 3pm kick off. But, it's hard to argue with the fact that a 5:30 kick off will draw a bigger audience and therefore enables more people to enjoy the occasion. Is that such a bad thing?

It suits me better truth be told. We can go out for the whole day with the kids and get back for the game.

Remember watching my first one on TV 1954 PNE V WBA. Always loved the day of the final watching tv all day. Once the FA started messing around with it (semi finals at Wembley, changing the ko times) I lost interest.

But will be watching today as my grandson lives about a 20 min walk from Selhurst Park. So will be cheering on Palace, plus I dont lie Man U.

My first one was WBA v Everton, Jeff Astle got the winner and I watched pretty much all of them up until the mid/late nineties I suppose. As others have said, it was virtually the only live game on TV until the mid eighties so it was more of an occasion. I remember being in Taunton the day Arsenal played Man Utd (the Alan Sunderland game) and there being no-one on the streets at all - the town centre was empty.

Didn't miss one from 1976 to 1997.  And would have a decent stab at reciting result and scorers from 1970 to mid 90s.  

Now watch it if about but not arsed if I miss it.

Today?  Will be over at a United supporting neighbour's, hoovering up breakfast made by his wife, and cheering on Palace.

I have been to 8 fa cup finals at 3 different stadia.

It all started to go wrong the year Man Utd didn't bother putting a team in. Then the final started to be played before the Premier League had finished. Now even league 1 teams rest players in early rounds to save them for the league game in the midweek.

So I will not be going and likely not be watching.

My first was Arsenal v Liverpool 1971. I grew my hair long as a tribute to Charlie George who was all the rage back then. I recall not long after watching him in Arsenal reserves v City res in the Football Combination at AG as he came back from injury. The first one I missed was 1979 Arsenal 3 Man Utd 2 as I had to work a Saturday in my first job. I was gutted as it was the best final for several years, most finals being drab 1-0 affairs.

I used to collect coverage of the finals from 1953 on super 8mm advertised in Shoot Magazine by a firm called Quality Products in Romford. The allure and magic of the cup final has long since disappeared...along with my hair!

8 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

I have been to 8 fa cup finals at 3 different stadia.

It all started to go wrong the year Man Utd didn't bother putting a team in. Then the final started to be played before the Premier League had finished. Now even league 1 teams rest players in early rounds to save them for the league game in the midweek.

So I will not be going and likely not be watching.

Oh, look at you, Mr "I've been to 8 finals". People like you make me sick. Other than the 2 years you managed to sort me out for a ticket.

Yep, my 2 eldest can't wait and surprisingly a lot of kids at training this morning were talking about. A couple of friends are coming round.  Dare I say it but am I a little excited by the cup final?

As a kid growing up in the 80s I used to love watching it on TV, including all the build up. The first final I remember watching was Tottenham v Man City (1981?) and there were some really memorable games (especially Coventry beating Tottenham and Wimbledon beating Liverpool).

I haven't watched it for a couple of years now, but I'll watch tonight's game and I'm actually looking forward to it. Haven't got Sky or anything like that so I still don't really get to see too many live games on TV.

Loved the fa cup final as a kid especially the build up, the players on the coach on their way to the ground, the few average comedians trying to make a funny, there just seemed to be a great feel/buzz to it back then.

I don't think i have been excited about a fa cup final for well over a decade, i will watch today but only because the time of the game fits into my plans.

Fantastic days the FA Cup Final. It seemed like a whole day of football and the only live game apart from the Home Internationals normally played on a Wednesday afternoon.

First final I saw on telly, at a mate's house, was 1956 when Bert Trautman received his "broken neck" and played on. We got a telly for 1958 final when Nat Lofthouse's Bolton beat Man U 2-0 with Nat scoring 2.

The only final I was at Wembley for was 1972 Leeds v Arsenal. We had a coach up to the ABA boxing finals, to see local lad Malcom Jones, taking place on the Friday night before the Cup Final. When we met in the pub, due to someone unable to make it, I got a spare Cup Final ticket that a group had already booked for. How fortunate except for the grotty digs we stayed in Sheppards Bush. Slept with my Cup Final ticket in my underpants just in case. Alan Clarke scored the only goal for Leeds.

Haven't seen a final for quite a few years now and have trouble even knowing who plays. Certainly the majic has gone out of the cup for me. Should be last game of the season, 5.30. kick off time is OK I suppose but feel a bit of appeal could be brought back if the winners secured a European cup place, or whatever it is called these days. Which should also go back to the straight knock out format.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Sorry Tone, I know that you have Palace leanings but having known several terminally-deluded Palace fans in London I became permanently fed up with them.

I will be looking for a Palace win today as it will make my 91 year old Dad a very happy man if they win.

Archived