IGNORED

Will You Be Watching the Cup Final on Telly?

downendcity

Really we shouldn't lament the fact the cup final isn't the same as it was in yesteryear. It is an inevitable consequence of so much live coverage of league matches since the late 1980s and then the advent of Sky, BT and the Premier League. In the great days of yesteryear there was no live coverage of league matches, period. Very few Bristolians would ever see exciting conclusions at the top and bottom of the top flight of league football, except in 1977. Live coverage of league matches now means any Bristolian who wants to can have a seat in the comfort of their own home to view such proceedings. It is at the expense of detracting from the cup final, but I am sure that everyone who laments this on here had they been asked back in those halcyon days if they would like to continue with the one live club match on tv at domestic level or replace that with a weekly diet of league matches covered live on their tv would have chosen the latter option.

The FA Cup has declined in terms of value but the Football League has increased its interest so we should be thankful football headed this way. 

I'll prob watch the FA Cup final.

During interruptions to the Test Match, I switched over to the Scottish Cup Final. Not only was that a 3.00pm kick off, but it was played end to end with both teams giving 100%. I didn't see any Stewards inside Hampden, but loads of Police. At the final whistle, they did nothing to stop hordes of Hibs fans stream onto the pitch to celebrate. That would never happen at Wembley.

Later tonight it's the Italian and tomorrow the Spanish  cup finals. Both games are live on Sky with KO 9.00pm out time which makes it 10.00pm kick off in those countries. I realise the weather is hotter in those countries, but surely no need to start that late? It means after the presentation fans will be leaving the ground just after midnight and then have to travel home. Imagine trying to do that here, especially if you're dependent on busses & trains.

Archived