IGNORED

GOOD LUCK FONTS!!

grebes

The use of superlatives in modern everyday language to describe ordinary things, really irritates me.

Great player? No, just average.

Great SERVANT to City? No, did us a great dis-service with his inept performances in the last two or three years here.

And very well paid for this averageness!

15 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The use of superlatives in modern everyday language to describe ordinary things, really irritates me.

Great SERVANT to City? No, did us a great dis-service with his inept performances in the last two or three years here.

In the OP's defence, Fonts was part of a City team that finished 4th in the second tier of English football (24/92, a higher finish in the 92 than any team of the Atyeo era, for example) and came as close as any City team other than the 75/6 one and the 1906 one to reach the top division, a rare feat in these parts. For younger fans, cidered, that is a great City team. I would suggest for all of us, it is too. How we would love to see that level of "averageness" again!

The players that trundle about in L1/Div 3 are generally average by my reckoning.

10 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think people's judgement are clouded by those last 2 seasons where his confidence  was shot to pieces. At one point he was a great player and one of the first names on the team sheet

Sorry but being one of the first names on the team sheet doesn't necessarily mean he was ever great. In the same way that being called into the Wales squad doesn't automatically make you a great striker. All depends on the competition.

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Sorry but being one of the first names on the team sheet doesn't necessarily mean he was ever great. In the same way that being called into the Wales squad doesn't automatically make you a great striker. All depends on the competition.

FirSt name on the team sheet in a promotion winning team, and then in a play off final season. What more could he do??

Southampton wanted to pay £1m for him, he was clearly a very good player at that time. Who knows what the breakdown of that deal did to Fontaine mentally? Probably the reason of his turn in form after that time.

i think it's terrible how a player who was a key part in a very good couple of seasons for this club gets insulted so heavily when it goes wrong. No doubting his performances deteriorated rapidly for us, but there's also no doubting that at one stage he was a great player.

26 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

FirSt name on the team sheet in a promotion winning team, and then in a play off final season. What more could he do??

Southampton wanted to pay £1m for him, he was clearly a very good player at that time. Who knows what the breakdown of that deal did to Fontaine mentally? Probably the reason of his turn in form after that time.

i think it's terrible how a player who was a key part in a very good couple of seasons for this club gets insulted so heavily when it goes wrong. No doubting his performances deteriorated rapidly for us, but there's also no doubting that at one stage he was a great player.

Derek Williams was virtually ever-present in our more recent promotion-winning side. Is he a great player?

Truly great players are great for more than "at one stage" of their career and wouldn't result in the sort of split opinions we are seeing on this thread. They are unanimously loved. Ask if George Best was a great player on the Man Utd forum and would the response be mixed?

In fact I wouldn't say we had any "great" players in the 06/07 squad. It was a collective success.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Don't mean to be picky but he used 'great' as an adjective. The superlative would have been 'greatest'. Now I guess he didn't use that as that would be pushing it but I can see why some would describe him as a great servant even if maybe not a great player. All about opinions tho.

Archived