IGNORED

Shirts in Bristol...

swampy

It doesn't really bother me. They're just kids. They should grow out of supporting the top clubs then see sense a little later in life. 

As for parent's with kids donning Bristol Rovers tops. They should be reported to the authorities asap. 

My son went to a football party recently (Hubby took him. I went shopping!) and I was told that all the other kids were in Man U kits, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. My boy had this season's City away shirt on and was the only one in a local kit allegedly. Kids will be kids and with a prem team, the amount of coverage they get plus availability of memorabilia and relevant branded items, make it easy for kids to pick. My son was just heavily influenced by myself to be City. If I hadn't had encouraged him, I'd expect it would be Liverpool as that is his mates team.

22 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

My son went to a football party recently (Hubby took him. I went shopping!) and I was told that all the other kids were in Man U kits, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. My boy had this season's City away shirt on and was the only one in a local kit allegedly. Kids will be kids and with a prem team, the amount of coverage they get plus availability of memorabilia and relevant branded items, make it easy for kids to pick. My son was just heavily influenced by myself to be City. If I hadn't had encouraged him, I'd expect it would be Liverpool as that is his mates team.

I don't see this at all in Weston. Both my children are of Primary/Junior school age and I see a lot more City related clothing than any other side. You do get the occasional Premier League top but City are far more popular around here. I would say second is Real Madrid and Barcelona only then followed by the Premier League. The few come a very distant fourth behind these btw.

37 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I told my two I would buy them City shirts,they could wear what they wanted,bar gaz.If they wanted any other they could use their own money ! Worked well.

On Sport Relief day, all the children in my son's primary school were told they could wear a football shirt to school. That day I saw over 100 football shirts in the playground. My son wore his City shirt and he was literally the only one wearing a local kit. Not one other City, Rovers or Swindon. It was so disappointing to see.

I would far rather see children wearing Rovers or Swindon than Chelsea or Man City. The dominance of the Premier League is bad news for all of us. Local clubs need the next generation of support so they can survive and thrive.

Have to say around Knowle, Ashton, Bemmie I seem to only notice City shirts and training tops.  Especially true if you go to local kids games like Whitchurch or Ashton Boys. Maybe kids (boys and girls) that actually play for a team are more likely to watch and support a local team?

Personally, I blame the parents of these Prem supporting kids.  Once you actually experience a game, watching on TV just doesn't compare. Up to parents to take them.  City doing great deals to bring them in.

6 hours ago, Cunnyfunt said:

It doesn't really bother me. They're just kids. They should grow out of supporting the top clubs then see sense a little later in life. 

As for parent's with kids donning Bristol Rovers tops. They should be reported to the authorities asap. 

This was me. Man U until about 14/15.  Then I realised I should probably support a proper team.

My son asked me to buy him a Liverpool kit when he was about 10 or 11,refused point blank,told him I would buy him a City kit,the rest is history as they say.

This season I have seen more City and Rovers shirts than any other at my both my son's football matches/training in East Bristol. The next most popular has been Barcelona and Real Madrid. Great to see, City giving kids shirts with a season ticket is a master stroke, hope they keep this up. Funny how few Man Utd shirts I have seen, :laugh:.

20 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Have to say around Knowle, Ashton, Bemmie I seem to only notice City shirts and training tops.  Especially true if you go to local kids games like Whitchurch or Ashton Boys. Maybe kids (boys and girls) that actually play for a team are more likely to watch and support a local team?

Personally, I blame the parents of these Prem supporting kids.  Once you actually experience a game, watching on TV just doesn't compare. Up to parents to take them.  City doing great deals to bring them in.

I remember taking my nephew to a training session with Ashton boys about 3 years ago and nearly everyone in his age group was wearing some sort of City top, great to see

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m always impressed by how many Plymouth and Exeter shirts I see in those cities. it`s rare to see a prem top in Plymouth, a few more in Exeter but still the majority you see are ECFC tops.

I'm surprised you don't see mostly Exeter Chiefs tops in Exeter.

Archived