IGNORED

Mourinho to Old Trafford

myol'man

United had to do something big after a barren couple of years after SAF left, and City getting Guardiola

Been common knowledge for years that United was THE role JM always wanted, will certainly be interesting to watch. I hope he's the JM that first came over, not the whingy wankpuffin (thanks @Tomarse) from the second spell at Chelsea

Can't say I watch a lot of Prem football, but with Leicester, Klopp a great young Tottenham team and these two going at it maybe I'll find some interest again next season

I've always liked Jose (except for the recent treatment of the Lady Physio, ) but I didn't want him to go there. Granted it's not as bad as seeing Moysie in the job, but still wish Jose had gone elsewhere. Hate ManU and want to see them stuffed every week.

i don't think he'll last long either.

It's a tough one.  Given his record, you feel it's not going to end well in two or three years time but you'd have to expect them to improve in the short-term.

It makes it really interesting next season - arguably the two best managers in the world are both in charge of teams that are nowhere near where they were and need massive overhauls.  It'll be interesting to see how they get on.

Bet Juan Mata is gutted and in frantic discussions with his agent though...

• Admin

Seems an odd appointment to me.

He never seems to stay in a job very long - that in itself goes against what Utd were in the past, or maybe they realise now, Managers do come and go every 3/4 seasons and that is the way they are going to go.

It'll be chuck money at a few signings -> have some success -> fall out with a senior pro -> lose the dressing room -> walk away

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Seems an odd appointment to me.

He never seems to stay in a job very long - that in itself goes against what Utd were in the past, or maybe they realise now, Managers do come and go every 3/4 seasons and that is the way they are going to go.

It'll be chuck money at a few signings -> have some success -> fall out with a senior pro -> lose the dressing room -> walk away

Big Zlat's impending arrival and qualification for the European Cup next season, maybe even the title, would seem likely for the next year.

I think he's the man to put Man U where they've become accustomed to, but at what price?

Hes not one to bring on youngsters, which is seemingly a key part of United philosophy and the football his teams play is more industrial than crowd pleasing. 

Should be an interesting season next year, Man City and Liverpool will be expecting their managers to deliver a challenge, and Chelsea surely can't be as bad as this year.

Mourinho's task is al the more difficult because Man U's spending power is not now the be all and end all.

The new TV deal means that all premiership clubs can buy very good players, and hold on to their existing good players and this reduces the gap in playing quality between the so called top clubs and the rest. Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea will still be able to bring in the very top players, who would be much less likely to go to Stoke or Palace money notwithstanding, but the other teams are now stronger and much more competitive than they were 5-10 years ago.

I have relatively little interest in the premier league, but look forward to seeing a few more teams being in the mix, and hopefully a few top clubs and managers being embarrassed.

A few years ago, if you were to tell most people that Mourinho and Guardiola would go toe-to-toe in the Manchester derby, most would think that Guardiola would be at United and Mourinho at City.

I'd like to see Mourinho succeed, but it just feels like a very uninspired signing, to be honest. The club needs gutting. They've spent a ton of money, and have little to show for it other than a bunch of squad players. The most exciting player they have is someone they dragged from their academy due to injuries.

The one area where Mourinho will have an advantage is that Fergie is a big fan of his. Mourinho also knows the size of the job at hand, so I think he'll be very receptive to any advice Fergie would be willing to give him.

12 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

A few years ago, if you were to tell most people that Mourinho and Guardiola would go toe-to-toe in the Manchester derby, most would think that Guardiola would be at United and Mourinho at City.

I'd like to see Mourinho succeed, but it just feels like a very uninspired signing, to be honest. The club needs gutting. They've spent a ton of money, and have little to show for it other than a bunch of squad players. The most exciting player they have is someone they dragged from their academy due to injuries.

The one area where Mourinho will have an advantage is that Fergie is a big fan of his. Mourinho also knows the size of the job at hand, so I think he'll be very receptive to any advice Fergie would be willing to give him.

Isn't there a strong rumour that, inspite of his friendship with Mourinho, Fergie is actually the one who pushed for Moyes and not Mourinho a couple of years back.  I could be wrong but I was under the impression that, along with Bobby Charlton, Ferguson was thought to be one of the main naysayers who has (or had) reservations about him taking over at the club. 

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

United had to do something big after a barren couple of years after SAF left, and City getting Guardiola

Been common knowledge for years that United was THE role JM always wanted, will certainly be interesting to watch. I hope he's the JM that first came over, not the whingy wankpuffin (thanks @Tomarse) from the second spell at Chelsea

Can't say I watch a lot of Prem football, but with Leicester, Klopp a great young Tottenham team and these two going at it maybe I'll find some interest again next season

The like is for wankpuffin .

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

More shockingly - SSN reporting Karl Robinson has turned down Leeds and Leeds moving onto their next target.....

One......

Dopey Darrell :blink:

What a match that would be !!

No doubt the deluded lot will be claiming to be a bigger club than Leeds.

5 hours ago, RedM said:

I've always liked Jose (except for the recent treatment of the Lady Physio, ) but I didn't want him to go there. Granted it's not as bad as seeing Moysie in the job, but still wish Jose had gone elsewhere. Hate ManU and want to see them stuffed every week.

i don't think he'll last long either.

You are not alone with this view, M ! :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Super said:

He has never got on with Guardiola, another reason for him to take the job.

I always thought the feud potential could be tremendous. CR7 vs Messi in England would send worldwide Premier League hype through the roof.

3 hours ago, sephjnr said:

I always thought the feud potential could be tremendous. CR7 vs Messi in England would send worldwide Premier League hype through the roof.

As it stands the odds of Messi being in the Premier League are less than 10% and I don't see Ronaldo coming back anytime soon. What Messi has is the pinnacle, a regular Champions League finalist, and team mates perfect for the way he plays, and to add he goals and records will just increase, no doubt will be regarded by many as the finest player ever by the end of his playing days. 

Archived