IGNORED

8 years ago today

HoldenBall

Absolute screamer of a finish and hard to begrudge a team going up for the first time in their history but you have to look at what they've done since and wonder what could have been.  All credit to them and Burnley for taking an unexpected promotion and using it to turn themselves into a team that can expect to either be in the Premier League or competing to be there.  Not to mention Stoke from that same season.

Thing is though, brilliant though the goal was, I still can't help wondering what would have happened had Orr not been injured and Elliott not moved to right back.  I think we might have edged it.  But I guess these are the things football turns on...

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Absolute screamer of a finish and hard to begrudge a team going up for the first time in their history but you have to look at what they've done since and wonder what could have been.  All credit to them and Burnley for taking an unexpected promotion and using it to turn themselves into a team that can expect to either be in the Premier League or competing to be there.  Not to mention Stoke from that same season.

Thing is though, brilliant though the goal was, I still can't help wondering what would have happened had Orr not been injured and Elliott not moved to right back.  I think we might have edged it.  But I guess these are the things football turns on...

I think it was actually a bullet dodged , we , evidently, were not well run enough at the time and I could for see à Portsmouth, Bolton scenario had we gone up .

I was disappointed at the time but feel we are much better placed for a tilt at the top now . ( that's TILT ! )

1 hour ago, Super said:

If only Carey wouldn't of slipped!

More to the point, if the medical team had done their job properly, Bradley Orr wouldn't have been wandering about the pitch in a daze and Carey wouldn't have had to try to cover the right back position. Carey should have been closer to WIndass and I think he would have closed him down quicker than Nick Carle!

10 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Looks like Nick Carle to me

52 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Who is the player on the penalty spot when he strikes it?  Too fuzzy on my phone to make it out.  Ball watching.  Just wondering who to hate

See above

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I have never considered it anywhere near as bad as Brighton at the Millennium.  I can still get angry about that day.

I remember turning up at the ground to be told the team by my mates and nearly turning around and walking out again.

3 hours ago, NorthBristolRed said:

As if we needed reminding!  One of the worst experiences following city that day was

Funnily enough getting battered at the likes of Crewe and Hartlepool after being relegated three seasons running (I missed the infamous 7-1 at Northampton because I played on Sunday mornings back then)  sort of edges it for me..

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember turning up at the ground to be told the team by my mates and nearly turning around and walking out again.

I had a massive strop at the end of the game and got on the first train back to Swansea (where I was living at the time), completely disregarding all the plans I had made to meet up with friends after the match.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Funnily enough getting battered at the likes of Crewe and Hartlepool after being relegated three seasons running (I missed the infamous 7-1 at Northampton because I played on Sunday mornings back then)  sort of edges it for me..

I think Hull goes into the category of "huge disappointment" rather than "worst experience", which are two subtly different things.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I had a massive strop at the end of the game and got on the first train back to Swansea (where I was living at the time), completely disregarding all the plans I had made to meet up with friends after the match.

The weird thing was that the Brighton fans were walking out of the ground around us and you would think they had lost. As they were only at a school sports ground at the time I think they thought that promotion was relatively pointless.

Although the result was crap, I met my future wife that day ( a hull fan) and duly got divorced on the same day five years later . Today is the first anniversary of separating from my subsequent partner and to top it all I got an email this morning confirming I've been successful in my job application. What is it with may 24th.:sign09:

Archived