IGNORED

TEN MONTHS of traffic chaos around Ashton Gate on the horizon

phantom

• Admin

Image: 131016_Ashton Vale Road_02

A new bridge at Ashton Gate for the MetroBus will have to be increased in height - at a cost of at least £1million a metre.

The bus-only bridge has had to be increased in height in case the rail track between Portishead and Temple Meads is eventually electrified after the line starts taking passenger trains.

Preparatory work on the "Skew Bridge", which will take the new single deckers over the railway line which runs parallel to Winterstoke Road, has already begun.

When the bridge was originally designed, there was no talk about the prospects of the Portishead line being electrified.

But when the MetroBus designers realised that electrification was a possibility - albeit some years in the future - they took the decision to redraw the plans so it could accommodate the overhead gantries for the electric cables.

The revised bridge is longer and two metres higher - and the cost has increased from £6million to between £8-9million.

The re-design has not altered the target date for this MetroBus route coming into use by the summer next year because other works - such as the new bridge at Bathurst Basin next to the Louisiana pub - will take longer.

Building work will start within the next couple of weeks and lead to road diversions in the area for several months.

A spokesperson for MetroBus said: "The bridge has been designed to allow MetroBus to cross the railway line without taking space from the road.

"The change in height is to ensure that the forthcoming Portishead railway line can be electrified in the future.

"The delay caused by the changes to the bridge will not impact on the start date of MetroBus services."

The spokesperson explained that the new Skew Bridge would mean MetroBuses will be able to avoid the busy Cumberland Basin which usually sees traffic grind to a halt at peak times.

Which roadworks will be in place while Skew Bridge is being built?

A slip road from Winterstoke Road to the Cumberland Basin will be closed to traffic while the Skew Bridge is under construction.

There will also be temporary traffic lights at the level crossing which gives access to the industrial estate off Winterstoke Road.

Construction will start with the piling of the bridge foundations, followed by building the approach ramps and the high bridge piers and abutments.

The bridge's beams will be lifted into place in autumn/winter 2016 which will be followed by the final construction of the bridge's deck.

Access to Ashton Vale Road industrial estate will be maintained during the construction works.

When the bridge is completed, the traffic light system at the level crossing junction will be upgraded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Construction

The bridge will take approximately 10 months to construct.

Construction for the bridge is already underway – the bridge’s steel beams were ordered in March and are currently being fabricated by a steel company in Belgium. Our contractors have started preparing the site to start work on land that has been transferred from Network Rail to Bristol City Council to enable the construction of the bridge.

We’ll also be planting trees and shrubs between the bridge and Winterstoke Road.

Actual construction works will start in June 2016 with the piling of the bridge foundations, followed by construction of the approach ramps and the high bridge piers and abutments. The bridge’s beams will be lifted into place in autumn/winter 2016, this will be followed by the final construction of the bridge’s deck.

If the experience of those of us in Almondsbury and Bradley Stoke with the MetroBus road works are anything to go by then keep your fingers crossed that it is just 10 months. A major road was closed causing traffic chaos and tailback every day on the Bradley Stoke, Almondsbury border. We were told when the road closed on September 2nd last year that it would be open again by Xmas last year. As Xmas approached, this was increased to January or February this year. We had just digested that when it was put back to August. Now it has been put back further to November. I kid you not, in the rush hours because I have to go around the block in a traffic jam to get to roughly where I would have started my journey if I could turn right onto the closed road, it takes me 20 minutes to reach where I would've been had I simply been able to turn right!

MetroBus are blaming the water company for the delays. They cannot even get hold of them to carry out essential work to enable them to continue their work. There is no coordination. 

This is utterly absurd to do this on the possiblity of electrification. It ain't going to happen - there are tunnels on the Portishead line that would cause headaches never mind this sodding bridge.

*but its worth noticing that this bridge was going to be built anyhow.   Reading the description it sounds like traffic on winterstoke road will be diverted UP the ramp around the oneway system/roundabout and then join the A370 there.   This will cause traffic trying to come off the A370 to queue back as it will be predominantely more busy.  It'll make the traffic run freer further down on the 370 where the oriignal slip thats closed causes issues.  That roundabout by the school simply won't cope with the traffic and I can see it being hellish to get around in the morning. It's already bad as it is.

Will the link road between the A370 and the A38 be open before the works for this bridge for the metrobus are finished? could ease up the traffic venturing down winterstoke at least? I'm not sure why they are building the entire route in one go... surely the sooner the section between A370 and Bridgwater road is open the better?

They should unpedestrianise East street while the works are on, reduce the reliance of Winterstoke as peoples only option (Might improve the shops there un'all)

and build a New York highline style walk way and cycle path over the cut while they are at it freeing up space for parking all the way along cumberland and Coronation road. :)... and... i want a jet pack...

16 minutes ago, Real Red said:

Looking at those artists impressions, there's no double yellow lines. At least we will have somewhere to park!!:whistle:

There are no coppers parked sneakily around corners or in side roads trying to catch you speeding either. Artists impressions are a far removed from the real world.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

This is utterly absurd to do this on the possiblity of electrification. It ain't going to happen - there are tunnels on the Portishead line that would cause headaches never mind this sodding bridge.

*but its worth noticing that this bridge was going to be built anyhow.   Reading the description it sounds like traffic on winterstoke road will be diverted UP the ramp around the oneway system/roundabout and then join the A370 there.   This will cause traffic trying to come off the A370 to queue back as it will be predominantely more busy.  It'll make the traffic run freer further down on the 370 where the oriignal slip thats closed causes issues.  That roundabout by the school simply won't cope with the traffic and I can see it being hellish to get around in the morning. It's already bad as it is.

they are using the electrification as an excuse to hide a major **** up on the project Tom, there is absolutely zero chance of the Portishead lines being electrified unless it was using the 3rd rail system, (a dc conductor rail which is along side the running rail as apposed to the overheads)

21 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

they are using the electrification as an excuse to hide a major **** up on the project Tom, there is absolutely zero chance of the Portishead lines being electrified unless it was using the 3rd rail system, (a dc conductor rail which is along side the running rail as apposed to the overheads)

It has to be, I don't even think they are electrifying the Cardiff valley lines with the GWML electrifcation. So why they'd do this is laughable. 

8 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

It has to be, I don't even think they are electrifying the Cardiff valley lines with the GWML electrifcation. So why they'd do this is laughable. 

it is I can tell 100% there are no plans to electrify the Portishead lines,  there is hundreds of miles of track that would be done before the Portishead line would even be considered,

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

electrification won't happen on the portishead branch, not for at least 50 years,

They'd cover the train with solar panels, complete with sail and wind turbines and call it green transport.

After which, someone will claim they found the lesser three legged newt, they walk their dogs, play village games and have been doing it for years getting a 'village green expert' lawyer to confirm this in law. It will then be turned into a cycle track with a 20 mph speed limit.

Have I missed anything?

2 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

They'd cover the train with solar panels, complete with sail and wind turbines and call it green transport.

After which, someone will claim they found the lesser three legged newt, they walk their dogs, play village games and have been doing it for years getting a 'village green expert' lawyer to confirm this in law. It will then be turned into a cycle track with a 20 mph speed limit.

Have I missed anything?

ohh the trains will be running there is no doubt about that, but they won't be electric trains or HST's it will be class 150/2 trains or sprinters

Classic work creation.

Submit an affordable bid. Get contract. Employ 'creative department' to come up with a reason to increase building costs.

I'm no expert but it seems to me the quote of an extended £1 million per metre is bollox.  And we've heard that there is virtually no chance that the reason for heightening the bridge Will ever happen. 

Mugged off doesn't even begin to describe it. ...

• Admin
5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Can't see any new 3rd rail being built - elf and safety would have a fit........

I looked up this bus scheme and could not believe how much money is being spent on so little. It just looks like a huge white elephant that will create far more problems than it solves. Fares look like they will be too high, frequency already being cut to 3 an hour (dedicated roads that carry just 3 vehicles per hour?), and Ashton Gate deliberately overlooked as it can't cope with too many passengers at one time.

Archived