IGNORED

Old People and Computers

Markman

Hmmm - Dear Old Mother - uses her lap top to email and buy the odd item from Ebay or Amazon - but, as many of you will know, every five minutes she hits some pop up or upgrade and the system dies and we trot off to fix it - but not this time.........

She had Windows 7 - kept getting upgrades to Windows 10 and has always declined. Anyway something has happened this time so when I switch it on I get the "Windows Starting" screen and nothing else at all - it just goes round and round for hours - with a little bit of F2 or F4 I got into System Restore (Hoorah) only for it to say you have no restore points even though I have saved loads. Took the battery out - tried to kill it - but still only get starting windows then nowt and eventually system recovery which tells me it cant fix it.

Problem is I have no idea what Dear old Mum may have done - any tekkie experts on here that can suggest anything? Money is not flush and a local guy wants £110 call out plus any parts!! I just cannot believe it is something serious - but I do not know what it can be - has to be some sort of upgrade system change but I cannot get into programmes to check cos I cannot get past windows starting GRRRR. I will try replies!!

Got mum a Chrome book - finally she can do all she need and I never have to worry about her messing the bloody thing up ever again like she did with her laptop. She used to call every other day with some issue / update / popup / spam / bug / virus - she had li=terally 10,000's of spam emails where she signed upto everything, even had to change her mobile number when she started giving out her number.... worse, you explain the simplist thing, and 5 minutes later.... 

So advice for anyone suffer as we do, buy them a chromebook, reclaim your life !

5 hours ago, screech said:

What make and model is the laptop?

SAmsung R540 I think - trying it again = it goes straight to starting windows and just sticks there - I cannot head it off before it goes there

As the restore points have gone missing it appears you have some sort of virus which has deleted the restore points. I once had this problem and it was a nightmare. 

Also just to double check do you have anything plugged into it, an external hard drive or a usb stick or anything else? Sometimes this can cause it to stick on the Windows screen.

Unfortunately it seems It's the first problem. 

How old is the laptop?

Could it be that the hard drive has died?

Could it have started the dreaded Windows 10 upgrade and then failed? I had to practically throttle mine to stop it and then did some cunning stuff to the registry to stop it pestering me.

If you have the Windows DVD, you should be able to boot from that and recover.

If all else fails and you dont have the Windows 7 disk, you can download an iso of the operating system from Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Use a friends or works computer to do it.

Just type in your reg key and it will take you to a download. Make a copy of that on a disk and try and do a repair. The worst scenario is you do a clean install and lose the ability to use the restore partition on the hard drive.

Archived