IGNORED

I already hate pre-season

Ian M

1 hour ago, Charliesboots said:

Definitely not sir!

This room consisted of ardent US sports fans and wouldn't have it any other way. 

The Premier League was reasonably well known, the diversity and richness of the rest of the divisions were not. 

Where are you in the Country? 

Was in Texas near San Antonio but now here in sunny(today anyway) Bristol.

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

River fishing starts on June 16th, the day we play Wales, that scenario is worrying me, a lot, do I  go fishing, but take a radio, or stay at home on watch it live on T.V  :tv_horror:

Course fishing season you mean. When I used fish my buddy and I fished the Somerset Levels. Sedgemoor and North Drains. Crypps Corner. We'd start fishing at 11.59pm  on the 15th June. Stay there all night and fish right through untill the sun got high enough to put the fish off. Then we'd pack up and go home for a kip. 

You could do the same.

13 hours ago, Ian M said:

Is anyone else already lost without football or am I on my own here? 

Roll on the Euros. 

Roll on some signings. 

Roll on the friendlies.

Roll on next season. 

Even worse if you are a fan of the NFL. It's only a 4 month season for the teams that dont make the play offs. 

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

Are the webcams still working, we can always watch the grass grow. The pitch is being dug up on Thursday straight after the rugby.

Genuine question, how can they dig up the desso? I thought that they would just kill the grass and grow new in amongst the plastic desso, but maybe I'm wrong. 

• Admin

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

Course fishing season you mean. When I used fish my buddy and I fished the Somerset Levels. Sedgemoor and North Drains. Crypps Corner. We'd start fishing at 11.59pm  on the 15th June. Stay there all night and fish right through untill the sun got high enough to put the fish off. Then we'd pack up and go home for a kip. 

You could do the same.

Coarse fishing would be the correct spelling and land locked ponds, lakes and canals have had the close season removed years ago, it's just rivers, which is a little bizarre, as river fishing has declined in favour of commercial lakes, although, it is making a bit of a comeback now.  Surprisingly for many folk, the cleaning up of the rivers has led to the decline in sport, fish used to thrive when there was some limited sewage discharge into the Avon, now the water quality is good, the clarity makes it easier for predators to see them. Cormorants moving inland has been a massive problem for fish stocks, as the seas has been emptied of their normal prey. The phosphate fertilisers have encouraged weed growth, which along with water abstraction has decimated flow, again not good for fish.   A lot has changed if you haven't fished for years.

Anyway, back to the original post, is it actually pre-season yet?  When does the end of the football season officially fall, when is the off or close season and when does pre season start?

I enjoy the close season as it provides various phases of reflection, anticipation, excitement or doom and gloom.

Phase one.  End of season happiness / angst caused by winning promotion, avoiding relegation, or being relegated. This generates a lot of chat on the forum, some good, some rubbish, but most interesting. 

Phase Two.  The transfer rumours threads and suggestions as to who we should sign. Most are crazy but, again, most interesting. 

Phase three, the best phase. Great anxiety as we haven't signed anyone or we've signed somebody who doesn't receive 100% approval from the forum experts. 

Phase four. The build up to the pre-season friendlies usually generates much interest. 

Phase five. Poor results in the friendlies leads to calls for mass sackings at the club. 

Phase six. Immediately before the season begins we have great joy due to the, usually unfounded, expectations of promotion and cup success

2 hours ago, NeilS said:

Haa No the course season never ends, only the River season, all or most of the ponds are open as are the Canals. Used to be a total close down, not anymore...When I lived in Bristol, used to have the occasional trip to the Drains, and one of the smaller ones, I cant remember the name of was packed with fish, and Pike used to attack the keepnets. I am really only interested  in Barbel now, and live next to the Severn and Warks Avon, so a bit of a trek to God's country I am afraid. Camping out by the Yeo in a cheap tent with home made sleeping bag made of old Army blankets, and blagging fresh milk of the farmer, blimey stop it Robbo, feeling my age:violin: 

' Pike used to attack the keepnets' 

Écologist ? 

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Genuine question, how can they dig up the desso? I thought that they would just kill the grass and grow new in amongst the plastic desso, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Maybe 'dug up' wasn't right. All I know is it is going to be worked on, re done, re laid or whatever on Thursday. Hopefully there will be grass growing to watch :thumbsup:

Archived