IGNORED

Jacques Kallis - best cricketer you've faced?

KevP

Played against Kallis when he was about 19 came into bat at 4 looking very young under his helmet and my captain indicated to give him a short un first up, he dispatched it for 6 over square leg. Our keeper enquired where he was from? South Africa was the response, 100 plus runs later we had lost the game. Pleased to say he has dispatched many far better bowlers than I for plenty.

Bugger was quick too, thankfully he didn't return the compliment but I was ready to duck, probably got a duck too.

4 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Played against Kallis when he was about 19 came into bat at 4 looking very young under his helmet and my captain indicated to give him a short un first up, he dispatched it for 6 over square leg. Our keeper enquired where he was from? South Africa was the response, 100 plus runs later we had lost the game. Pleased to say he has dispatched many far better bowlers than I for plenty.

Bugger was quick too, thankfully he didn't return the compliment but I was ready to duck, probably got a duck too.

What a player. Always glided in, but wasn't far off the speed of the real quicks when he really put his back into it

Nice little memory to have that, Chesh

4 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Most fearsome I ever faced was a chap named Baraclough played for Blagdon. Him coming down the slope was brown trousers time for me.

1 hour ago, Red Rag said:

Most fearsome I ever faced was a chap named Baraclough played for Blagdon. Him coming down the slope was brown trousers time for me.

Ha ha, Pete Baraclough.  Lovely bloke.  I batted against him in his latter years.  His arm had obviously dropped a bit over the years, but you could tell he must've been fairly rapid in his day, he was still reasonably quick with a slingy round arm action.  Hated Blagdon's ground, as a batsman you were never stood on a flat surface and balance was not natural.  Also  a fairly low wicket.

Got bowled out by Dean Headley playing county youths v Worcestershire.  At 13 he was far too quick for me!  I was one of our Avon schools spinners the year Martin Ball (Gloucs and England) didn't get selected!  Think they got selection wrong...I only took two wickets all summer!  Shall I name drop Shane Warne at this point!

7 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Who was kallis playing for? My other halfs dad flew out to south africa a few months ago, they were doing their version of this is your life for kallis, and they flew out him and his mate to have a reunion on tv!! The cricket club was based in cumbria, he was some player!!

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Warne played at Imperial didn't he?

Yep, they only let him loose with the bat against us.  He was so good, he was smoking a fag at first slip, stubbed it out and still pouched the catch.  {slightly exaggerated]

42 minutes ago, Orbital said:

I once faced Syd Lawrence who was beyond rapid on a few paces. He started sending spinners down after a while and one or two of them went past my ears!

I used to go to the empire gym many years ago, where Syd was a regular, it may be that he just disliked me but he was such a miserable git.

13 hours ago, simon uk said:

Who was kallis playing for? My other halfs dad flew out to south africa a few months ago, they were doing their version of this is your life for kallis, and they flew out him and his mate to have a reunion on tv!! The cricket club was based in cumbria, he was some player!!

Netherfield just outside Kendal. They play in the Northern League. The only non Town named team in the League. All with a top professional (I think Kallis was an overseas Amateur!) and Minor Counties players. In the mid 90's Leylands pro was Phil Bainbridge, his team mates included Gordon  Grenidge, Malcolm Marshall, Graham Roope and Geoff Miller. I kid you not.

Barrow

Blackpool

Chorley

Darwen

Fleetwood

Kendal

Lancaster

Leyland

Morecambe

Preston

St Anne's

Andre von Troost for me, can't remember who he was playing for, Charlton Kings perhaps? He was bowling downhill, thankfully I'd popped a rib in the field and was automatically #11 that day, he was rapid, but thankfully not that accurate, so we won with about 6 wickets down

His missus was a belter, so was he......

Was fortunate to be able to train with Glos when i was about 16. Faced a few deliveries from Courtney Walsh in the nets. Needless to say i didn't get anywhere near them and that was Courtney bowling off a 2 or 3 step run up!

2 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Netherfield just outside Kendal. They play in the Northern League. The only non Town named team in the League. All with a top professional (I think Kallis was an overseas Amateur!) and Minor Counties players. In the mid 90's Leylands pro was Phil Bainbridge, his team mates included Gordon  Grenidge, Malcolm Marshall, Graham Roope and Geoff Miller. I kid you not.

Barrow

Blackpool

Chorley

Darwen

Fleetwood

Kendal

Lancaster

Leyland

Morecambe

Preston

St Anne's

Yep, kendal is where my other half is from! Its a small world!! I always think its interesting to see footage of real top players when they were young to see how just how good they were, there are loads of messi on youtube!!

In the Northern League at the time were the likes of

Gordon Greenidge

Malcolm Marshall

Richie Richardson

Eldine Baptiste

Franklyn Stephenson

Patrick Patterson

Mark Greatbatch

Grant Bradburn

Chris Pringle

Craig McMillan

Jaques Kallis

Stuart Law

Paul Reiffel

Stuart McGill

Brendon Julian

Brad Hogg

Rajesh Chauhan

Prabaker

plus others I can't recall.

Who was the best? Hard to call but Stephenson was on a big runs and wickets bonus so even us rabbits got the full treatment.

One thing I do know, they were all far too good for me

Stuart McGill played for Chard as their pro, but got banned.  Being a typical Aussie, he couldn't get his head around some of his teammates not being quite so competitive, and he got the red mist one game and got banned.

Others: 

Mohammed Akram (Wasim's younger less talented brother who also played for Pakistan) played for NSC and Pak Bristolians - he was sharp.

Vibert Greene (Gloucs) - played for Bristol West Indies.

As for Trescothick, we drew Keynsham in the B&D Cup (20 over midweek knockout).  He just slogged us all over the park.  It was the season he went back tonKeynsham having had a bad spell for Somerset.  Next season he was pushing for an England place.  I'm sure it was down to our dibbly dobblers giving him his confidence back!

11 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Barrow

Blackpool

Chorley

Darwen

Fleetwood

Kendal

Lancaster

Leyland

Morecambe

Preston

St Anne's

Played football against Phil Bainbridge, he was teacher at South Bristol College, and cricket against Gary Shelts. We had him plum lbw but because he 'famous' he wasn't given out.

16 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Played against Richie Richardson

My opening bowling partner Yorked him 1st ball !!!

I also bowled about a dozen overs to Viv Richards in the nets at Taunton

Then they ran out of balls?

Archived