IGNORED

Portsmouth FC - Pre Season game now confirmed

redpole

• Admin
21 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Pathetic, if true !

I would have at least hoped they had perhaps a Prem team lined up for this; and had it organised some while ago.

Remember that there will need to be a few "test" events of the new stands etc before getting the full safety certificate

Maybe this will be used for that

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Remember that there will need to be a few "test" events of the new stands etc before getting the full safety certificate

Maybe this will be used for that

Can't you buy safety certificates in eBay these days?

32 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Pathetic, if true !

I would have at least hoped they had perhaps a Prem team lined up for this; and had it organised some while ago.

Last year they had to do test events for the South Stand before it could be opened to capacity. So assuming it's the same this year, a Premier League side would be a stupid idea.

25 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Last year they had to do test events for the South Stand before it could be opened to capacity. So assuming it's the same this year, a Premier League side would be a stupid idea.

Yes, fair shout.

Possibly a number of games of similar standing to follow ?

If there is a "grand opening" though I would hope for more high profile opposition, perhaps the weekend before the season starts.

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A reasonable standard of side for a pre season friendly, fine for a test event and a run out. Doubt this will be branded as the 'grand opening' though. I'm sure they've got something organised..

Would expect something to happen in an international break late autumn time

Well some game will have to be a first for the new stand. I doubt we will be making much of a fuss of a grand openinng ceremony to welcome a stand opening, it's hardly worthy of a ceremony where the Mayor will cut a ribbon and we have a band playing while we stare at performing parrots on unicycles.

It's just a game of football, or have I got this wrong.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, screech said:

Well some game will have to be a first for the new stand. I doubt we will be making much of a fuss of a grand openinng ceremony to welcome a stand opening, it's hardly worthy of a ceremony where the Mayor will cut a ribbon and we have a band playing while we stare at performing parrots on unicycles.

Valid point, it's not like we've move into a new stadium - just the completion of two new stands

I just had this vision of Dave L dressed as a Victorian master of ceremonies, rounding up an expectant crowd shouting "Behold, prepare to be amazed" with the stand behind him covered by enormous curtains. To the side of him there are dwarf people and a chained bear.

11 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Let play the G*s

Bound to fill the place and have plenty locked out - could test everything in one go....

But then the place would need a thorough cleaning before the real football teams come to visit.

I'd rather they didn't come anywhere near it.

56 minutes ago, screech said:

Pre-season friendly against a big team. Give out thousands of free tickets to schools/colleges make it into a day event for the families / kids, let people populate the whole off all the stands and let them wonder around to see the facilities. That would be a nice way to open the completed stadium, get people maybe interested in what we have to offer and give people a good day out... 

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yes, fair shout.

Possibly a number of games of similar standing to follow ?

If there is a "grand opening" though I would hope for more high profile opposition, perhaps the weekend before the season starts.

True, I think you have to stagger your build-up too so you can understand them being cautious.

5 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Pre-season friendly against a big team. Give out thousands of free tickets to schools/colleges make it into a day event for the families / kids, let people populate the whole off all the stands and let them wonder around to see the facilities. That would be a nice way to open the completed stadium, get people maybe interested in what we have to offer and give people a good day out... 

We should be doing that for the whole of the season I think. Open the top tier to schools.

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Pathetic, if true !

They did

Aston Villa

But then realised 2 X home games against Villa in 3 weeks wasn't ideal ;)

Archived