IGNORED

Shocking price comparison

phantom

35 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

How did Shrewsbury get away with charging £70 for a season ticket?

£3 x 23 = £69 plus the £1 booking fee! 

Or possibly these prices are in terms of what they were paying their fans to watch them, and you got a £1 bonus for lasting the season.

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

In 1973, in my first job I earned £48 per month - the price of a City season ticket! Hence why I was potd in the East End, Enclosure or Open End -depending on the length of the queue at the turnstiles!

When you look at it like that, a season ticket costing a month`s wages for a youngster, today`s prices don`t seem too bad in comparison. My first job in 1976 I was on twenty quid a week so it would have taken me two and a bit weeks to afford a season ticket - it wouldn`t be as long as that now even for someone on minimum wage.

Perhaps I'm wrong but season tickets were more expensive than pay on the day back then, I don't seem to remember being able to buy a standing season ticket, hence the prices. Also football was the same price no matter who you watched according to that article

Arsenal were £3 to sit 21*3= £63. Season ticket £84 

Standing 21*1.8= £37

3 minutes ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

Perhaps I'm wrong but season tickets were more expensive than pay on the day back then, I don't seem to remember being able to buy a standing season ticket, hence the prices. Also football was the same price no matter who you watched according to that article

Arsenal were £3 to sit 21*3= £63. Season ticket £84 

Standing 21*1.8= £37

I do remember having a season ticket for the East End once or twice but City certainly didn`t do standing ones every season, it was normally just POTD.

Want to compare prices... look at how much you paid for a pint then and now.

I didn't start drinking till 83 (in pubs) and I think I was paying about 50 - 60p a pint of cider. Compared to now, there has been a 5 - 7 fold increase in prices.

So... comparing apples to apples, has there been any real change?

Mind you, I have more disposable income now. This is just an outcome of experience, promotions etc. paying more (and all my kids being grown up (although I'm sure I'm paying out more on that front for some reason or other)).

5 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Want to compare prices... look at how much you paid for a pint then and now.

I didn't start drinking till 83 (in pubs) and I think I was paying about 50 - 60p a pint of cider. Compared to now, there has been a 5 - 7 fold increase in prices.

So... comparing apples to apples, has there been any real change?

Mind you, I have more disposable income now. This is just an outcome of experience, promotions etc. paying more (and all my kids being grown up (although I'm sure I'm paying out more on that front for some reason or other)).

Or a packet of fags. Less than 20p for 20 when I took up the dreaded weed in my teens (mid 70s), close to eight quid now (and I know a lot of that is `deterrent` taxation) but still a fair hike.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Or a packet of fags. Less than 20p for 20 when I took up the dreaded weed in my teens (mid 70s), close to eight quid now (and I know a lot of that is `deterrent` taxation) but still a fair hike.

Never liked cigarettes (probably my nan letting me have a drag when I was a little lad, put me off for life), my vice has always been a pint or two or ....

If we were talking house prices, now that is taking the piss.

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It was 1 shilling and 11 pence for 10 when I gave up smoking, is it really 8 quid for 20 now, how can anyone afford it?

18 minutes ago, RedDave said:

INFLATION PEOPLE!  £2 in 1980 is not £2 now is it!

No, but a week`s wages in 1980 is a week`s wages now. If it would have taken me 2.5 weeks to buy a season ticket in 1980 but just over a week now (even on minimum wage) that`s a valid comparison and makes today`s season ticket good value.

Archived