IGNORED

The Squad - Updated 6/9/16

Ian M

• Admin

Numbers in brackets: (Seniors / U21s with 1+ appearances in 15-16)

Goalkeepers: (2/1)

Richard O'Donnell (2018)

Frankie Fielding (2018)

Ivan Lučić (signed 27/07/16) (2018, club holds an extra year option)

Right Backs: (2/0)

Mark Little (2017)

Adam Matthews (signed 28/7/16) (season long loan)

Centre Backs: (3/1)

Aden Flint (2020)

Hordur Magnússon (signed 13/7/16) (2019)

Bailey Wright (signed 6/1/17) (2019)

Zak Vyner (2018, club holds an extra year option)

Left Backs: (2/0)

Scott Golbourne (2018)

Joe Bryan (2019)

Midfielders: (10/1)

Korey Smith (2019)

Marlon Pack (2018, club holds extra year option)

Luke Freeman (2017)

Bobby Reid (2018)

Josh Brownhill (Signed 2/6/16) (2018)

Gary O'Neil (Signed 9/6/16) (2018)

Lee Tomlin (Signed 5/7/16) (2019)

Callum O'Dowda (Signed 14/7/16) (2019)

Jamie Patterson (Signed 27/8/16) (2019)

Jens Hegeler (Signed 4/1/17) (2019)

Jonny Smith (signed 18/5/16) (2018)

Forwards: (4/0)

Aaron Wilbraham (2017)

Tammy Abraham (season long loan)

Gustav Engvall (Signed 31/8/16) (2019)

Milan Djuric (Signed 4/1/17) (2019)

Total: (23 senior, 3 U21s)

On Loan:

Wes Burns (2018, club holds extra year option)

Taylor Moore (signed 25/8/16) (2019)

George Dowling  (2017)

Max O'Leary (2018, club holds an extra year option)

Diego De Girolamo (signed 7/7/16) (2017, club holds extra year option)

Departures:

Adam El Abd (17/6/16)

Luke Ayling (11/8/16)

Kieron Agard (11/8/16)

Derrick Williams (26/8/16)

Jonathan Kodjia (30/8/16)

Joel Ekstrand (1/1/17)

• Admin
10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Scary reading!

To be fair, I think we are better off than on the same day last year. The following team might not challenge at the top but wouldn't be absolutely terrible on the first day next season and we will surely sign some players by August.

O'Donnell

Ayling Flint Williams Golbourne

Pack Smith

Freeman Reid Bryan

Kodjia

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

To be fair, I think we are better off than on the same day last year. The following team might not challenge at the top but wouldn't be absolutely terrible on the first day next season and we will surely sign some players by August.

O'Donnell

Pack Smith

Freeman Reid Bryan

Kodjia

Agreed, no real issues with a first XI but the pure lack of numbers in certain areas is scary. 3 or 4 quality additions and it'll look a fair bit better.

20 minutes ago, Ian M said:

O'Donnell

Pack Smith

Freeman Reid Bryan

Kodjia

Looking at that team we certainly need a minimum of 4 quality players. 

33 minutes ago, Ian M said:

O'Donnell

Pack Smith

Freeman Reid Bryan

Kodjia

Wes ahead of Freeman.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

O'Donnell

Pack Smith

Freeman Reid Bryan

Kodjia

Could potentially be 

O'Donnell

Matthews Flint Mawson Golbourne

Pack Smith

Tomlin Reid Bryan

Kodjia

Bench: Feilding Williams Ayling Freeman Brownhill Hammill Wilbs

Then we'll have: O'Leary Dowling Burns Vyner Agard Little El-Abd

• Admin
56 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I think Garita has to be put in there if you've got Dowling.

Dowling made 2 first team appearances. Garita made none. I had to have a qualifying factor for youths or I might as well have included the entire U21 squad. Plus those who have watched the U21s regularly will tell you Garita is a long way from being near the first team squad.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Dowling made 2 first team appearances. Garita made none. I had to have a qualifying factor for youths or I might as well have included the entire U21 squad. Plus those who have watched the U21s regularly will tell you Garita is a long way from being near the first team squad.

I thought he did play? Oh, I take it back then.

If (a very big if) we did add only four new players by season's kick off, it is obvious by that squad that the need for another centre back is by far our biggest gap at present.

At least one more midfielder would come next (with Korey suspended, possibly two) and then another striker.

Good as Adam Matthews was, our need for another right back, (or a goalkeeper as long as O'Donnell stayed fit) would come much further down the list.

18 hours ago, Ian M said:

O'Donnell

Pack Smith

Freeman Reid Bryan

Kodjia

Its a squad game,and we would go down with a flourish if that were the pick of our squad.fortunately,it won't be(hopefully)..need four top signings in.

• Admin

That team is only 3 players away from the main team that was displaying play off form under Johnson. :)

We will sign players this time round but at this time last year we were struggling to put out an XI on tour,

Having now watched Mawson for 90 minutes on the telly, I'd go in for him, and Pearce to cover the central defence gaps.  I'd also give Mawson time to adapt, hence the experience of Pearce too.  Mariappa has been mentioned and he would be free.

Bottom line is we need some serious signings, bare-bones of a squad and many of our key players gone due to them being loans. Very important transfer window for us, get it wrong and we could be facing relegation, get it right and we could actually start to cement a place in this league and push up.

• Admin

It's still worth noting that we are stronger than this point last season. On 30th May 2015 this was the state of our squad:

Goalkeepers:

Frank Fielding

Right Backs/Wing Backs:

Mark Little

Left Backs/Wing Backs:

Joe Bryan

Centre Backs:

Aden Flint

Luke Ayling

Derrick Williams

Adam El Abd

Midfield:

Korey Smith

Scott Wagstaff

Luke Freeman

Marlon Pack

Bobby Reid

Forwards:

Aaron Wilbraham

Kieran Agard

Wes Burns

Total: 15

By the time the season started we had expanded this to 18 with the signings of Kodjia & Fredericks and the loan of Robinson. From all the interviews with Ashton & Johnson they seem to be well aware that last season's window cannot be repeated, especially without the ability to sign emergency loans; Baker, Bennett & Moore were added to that 18 before January but Fredericks left again leaving us with a squad of 20.

We need 3 signings to get us to a senior squad of 20 and Johnson has spoken of wanting nearer 8 but the biggest factor for me is the amount of Championship experience we have gained since this point last year.

Up front we are clearly better than May last year with the signing and settling of Kodjia. We are much the same personnel wise in midfield but with that greater experience, and slightly better off in defence (Golbourne) and goal (O'Donnell).

The squad that finished last season was performing as the 6th best side in the division. That team lacks Matthews (may well sign), Baker (a signing will be made here) & Tomlin (haven't given up hope here but signing Hammill would leave us better than from August-January last season) plus a sub or two.

Sit back, relax and trust lessons will have been learned. Next season we will finish a minimum of 12th.

I think my concern is that we're most likely only going to either be able to attract tired old legs looking for a final paycheck, or hungry youngsters from League 1. I don't see us signing any current Championship talent.

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

It's still worth noting that we are stronger than this point last season. On 30th May 2015 this was the state of our squad:

Goalkeepers:

Frank Fielding

Right Backs/Wing Backs:

Mark Little

Left Backs/Wing Backs:

Joe Bryan

Centre Backs:

Aden Flint

Luke Ayling

Derrick Williams

Adam El Abd

Midfield:

Korey Smith

Scott Wagstaff

Luke Freeman

Marlon Pack

Bobby Reid

Forwards:

Aaron Wilbraham

Kieran Agard

Wes Burns

Total: 15

By the time the season started we had expanded this to 18 with the signings of Kodjia & Fredericks and the loan of Robinson. From all the interviews with Ashton & Johnson they seem to be well aware that last season's window cannot be repeated, especially without the ability to sign emergency loans; Baker, Bennett & Moore were added to that 18 before January but Fredericks left again leaving us with a squad of 20.

We need 3 signings to get us to a senior squad of 20 and Johnson has spoken of wanting nearer 8 but the biggest factor for me is the amount of Championship experience we have gained since this point last year.

Up front we are clearly better than May last year with the signing and settling of Kodjia. We are much the same personnel wise in midfield but with that greater experience, and slightly better off in defence (Golbourne) and goal (O'Donnell).

The squad that finished last season was performing as the 6th best side in the division. That team lacks Matthews (may well sign), Baker (a signing will be made here) & Tomlin (haven't given up hope here but signing Hammill would leave us better than from August-January last season) plus a sub or two.

Sit back, relax and trust lessons will have been learned. Next season we will finish a minimum of 12th.

We still had Greg Cunningham then didn`t we?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

We still had Greg Cunningham then didn`t we?

That we did, forgot about him being allowed to leave because "we don't have enough numbers anyway, what's one more?"  

I still maintain the squad is stronger now than 12 months ago and even including our emergency loans after the window closed we are only 3 signings away from matching that number and I expect us to sign 6 by the time the window closes, allowing Lee to confidently send some of the U21s out on loan. 

On 29/05/2016 at 12:11, Ian M said:

Numbers in brackets: (Seniors / U21s with 1+ appearances in 15-16)

Goalkeepers: (2/1)

Richard O'Donnell 

Frankie Fielding

Max O'Leary

Right Backs: (2/0)

Luke Ayling

Mark Little

Centre Backs: (3/1)

Aden Flint

Derrick Williams

Adam El Abd

Zak Vyner

Left Backs: (1/0)

Scott Golbourne

Midfielders: (5/1)

Korey Smith

Marlon Pack

Joe Bryan

Luke Freeman

Bobby Reid

George Dowling

Forwards: (4/0)

Jonathan Kodjia

Aaron Wilbraham

Kieron Agard

Wes Burns

Total: (17 senior, 3 U21s)

A stark reminder of just how crucial this summer's recruitment is. We not only need quality but numbers. The powers that be have said all the right things let's hope they can put it in to practise.

Archived