IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

2 + 2 but maybe the 7 million for Rhodes isn't far from truth

Think the £45,000 per week wages might be more of a problem Monkeh.

Kodjia is good. But he's not that good. He's not proven.

Papiss Cisse at Newcastle.....

If he scores 15+ again this year at Derby then fair enough, but I genuinely think that come near the end of the season we will be the happier party. May get proven wrong, but I doubt it.

He will struggle at Derby under a manager like Pearson - LJ's comments about a lack of understanding and footballing development may mean that he is too draw for what Detby want. Up to £14mill, I wonder who we will sign...??

MA has proved he delivers this far, 100% we will have some options, and now we've got the cash....

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

How so?, see my post 1382, it's great business Derby must be desperate to pay that much, because he ain't worth it.

If his goals get them promotion he will be cheap at the price!

People don't seem to have grasped - "asking price min 10m" "we won't sell to a championship club" to paraphrase. This doesn't mean "we won't sell to a championship club if the offer is far in excess (40%) of £10m".

That's a great price for him. I loved him here as a player, genuinely exciting to watch, but that's crazy money. Good luck to him and thanks for last season.

Also, I'm fairly relaxed about it strangely. I have total faith in LJ and MA to find a replacement. I think for the first time since I've been supporting City that's been the case.

1 minute ago, cityloyal473 said:

I don't care what SL said; he'd be crazy to turn down that sort of money.

Exactly. He said what he said in part to put up the price. He had also said we needed to get less attached to players, and he was right.

I believe that statement was provoked by the way we grovelled to Maynard - both Millen and Sextone were guilty of doing so when it was obvious he was not going to sign a new contract. We lost out on a potentially substantial fee by not calling his bluff and setting up an auction. Glad to see we are not making the same mistake now.

The caveat of course is that we have a deal in place for a direct replacement and preferably a second striker too. Otherwise if Tammy is injured or on England duty we have Wilbs and err .... that's it.

This does help understand why Patterson and Richardson have 'apparently' joined. Bryan will be pushed forward and Richardson compete down left hand side, and Patterson will be a proper right attacking. We will sign a striker to compete with Tammy and it will break our transfer record 

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

For all Lansdown said about not selling to a Championship club, if that figure being quoted is true then he'd carry Kodjia to Derby on his own back. 

Funny coincidence, but Steve won't be at today's game !

Just now, downendcity said:

If his goals get them promotion he will be cheap at the price!

if my granny had balls and all of that, unbelievable business for somebody who hasn't scored all season.

of course don't forget that the other part of the his attacking partnership whilst at Angers Abdoul Camara is already at Derby, maybe the mistake was not signing him in January's window.

Just now, brad blit said:

This does help understand why Patterson and Richardson have 'apparently' joined. Bryan will be pushed forward and Richardson compete down left hand side, and Patterson will be a proper right attacking. We will sign a striker to compete with Tammy and it will break our transfer record 

Agree but I hope we already have a deal agreed for that striker. Otherwise it's 3 days of clubs putting up the prices because we have £10m to play with.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Exactly. He said what he said in part to put up the price. He had also said we needed to get less attached to players, and he was right.

I believe that statement was provoked by the way we grovelled to Maynard - both Millen and Sextone were guilty of doing so when it was obvious he was not going to sign a new contract. We lost out on a potentially substantial fee by not calling his bluff and setting up an auction. Glad to see we are not making the same mistake now.

The caveat of course is that we have a deal in place for a direct replacement and preferably a second striker too. Otherwise if Tammy is injured or on England duty we have Wilbs and err .... that's it.

I'm expecting (not any inside knowledge) for us to have a new striker lined up.  Not even we'd be the stupid, right?

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Agree but I hope we already have a deal agreed for that striker. Otherwise it's 3 days of clubs putting up the prices because we have £10m to play with.

I'm sure we do, we would've known it's reasonably likely Kodjia would be off this summer. We'll have a substantial list of names.

1 minute ago, cityloyal473 said:

I'm expecting (not any inside knowledge) for us to have a new striker lined up.  Not even we'd be the stupid, right?

I would be shocked if the current regime, the most professional we have had since Alan Dicks and Tony Collins, did not have it sewn up. Until it's announced I'm going to be nervous though!

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's a great price for him. I loved him here as a player, but that's crazy money.

Also, I'm fairly relaxed about it strangely. I have total faith in LJ and MA to find a replacement. I think for the first time since I've been supporting City that's been the case.

Exactly how I feel PF.

Also agree with an earlier posters point about keeping an unhappy player. Say he scores 2 until January and then goes. That £10-14m figure could halve by then. 

Slightly disappointed in SL seemingly changing his mind, perhaps should have made his point about rival Championship sides a bit clearer. Too good to turn down though. 

Excited to see what happens now 

13 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

With your logic we will never progress. City fans make me cry. 

Every player we've sold we've replaced with better quality so far. Let's see? I personally don't want a player here who doesn't want to play for us.  £700k per goal? Take the money 

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I would be shocked if the current regime, the most professional we have had since Alan Dicks and Tony Collins, did not have it sewn up. Until it's announced I'm going to be nervous though!

Totally agree

i really don't think we would of sold him if we hadn't had something lined up

Respect to both Kodjia and City if true..

Thanks Jimmy for the season and a bit we had you, I hope your move to Derby works out well for you both financially and career wise.

Good work City and Mr Landsown, nice bluff on media that got us a nice profit on a player that wanted to leave and I look forward to the way we are progressing as a club.

Im happy with this.

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

So we turn down an unbelievable offer and are stuck with a player not so interested in being her, who falls well short of last seasons performance and we ship him out in January for a fraction of what Derby have offered.

Bet fans would then blame Lansdown for looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Like Nicky Maynard in other words. Thankfully we have learned from experience.

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

Every player we've sold we've replaced with better quality so far. Let's see? I personally don't want a player here who doesn't want to play for us.  £700k per goal? Take the money 

Exactly Tom some people seem to believe that under our current regime that this negotiation was some sort of spur of the moment decision made 15 minutes ago just before the team for today was announced and of course because of that, we have not made any back up plan for signing a replacement for Kodjia.

28 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Noooooooo sold to Derby. Total total idiots . 

£14million pounds Billy. 14 million.

26 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

So much for "we wont sell to another championship club. No matter what the offer"

If you believe what I heard from a mate who works at Scunthorpe as to why he didn't start on Tuesday you might think differently...

24 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

£10mill rising to 14? More than Brentford got for Gray? We've mugged them off there. Good player that Kodjia is, that is good money.

This entirely.

Look everyone - LJ and MA aren't stupid. They have a list as long as your arm for every position we've been after this summer. They knew Kodjia would be in demand; this isn't necessarily welcome, but it's not a huge surprise. We will spend what we need to, replace him and still keep a sizable profit, I'm sure of it.

13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

So we turn down an unbelievable offer and are stuck with a player not so interested in being her, who falls well short of last seasons performance and we ship him out in January for a fraction of what Derby have offered.

Bet fans would then blame Lansdown for looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Exactly. I always said there could be a price to be too good to pass up even for a club in our division. Excellent business. I trust them to get an amazing young striker in now. A bit of a gutter he is leaving but didn't look like his heart was in it for our club anymore. I wish him well and thank him for some of the amazing skill and excitement he brought but he didn't fit the rest of the squad now. Another one that LJ didn't bring in and now is going but we've made exceptional money on all departures 

Archived