IGNORED

City Fans in France

Big Red Rich

22 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

So, who's there this evening?

Yes, I'm holidaying in nearby Cannes and got tickets on the uefa website last night. 

Morning on the beach, afternoon by the pool and evening at the footie......not unlike a Rotherham away day. 

7 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes, I'm holidaying in nearby Cannes and got tickets on the uefa website last night. 

Morning on the beach, afternoon by the pool and evening at the footie......not unlike a Rotherham away day. 

Sounds fantastic, out of interest, do you have to collect the tickets this evening, or is it all digital these days?

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

So, who's there this evening?

Last night I exchanged my conditional 'round of 16' voucher for a match ticket in the England section and I will be heading out towards the stadium in a few hours. Really good atmosphere in town between the England and Iceland fans both last night and today. 

18 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

You've got to be fuming more than most mate?! Can't believe it...

Such was my confidence in England I stuck a bet on Iceland to win which has pretty much covered the price of the flight. Only deposit lost on hotel.

England v Sri Lanka now on Saturday in the ODI in Cardiff instead.

23 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Leave in plenty of time to get to ground. We did N Ireland v Poland in Nice and the queues for the buses on the promenade (by fan park) will be busy and it's also a good 15 min walk to the stadium from where the buses drop you off.

Looked at the queue for the buses last night and with no taxi in sight decided to walk back to our hotel near the airport - took almost an hour but still at the hotel bar before most people arrived back. The stadium location is a bad joke!

On 28/06/2016 at 07:18, NickJ said:

The stadium location is a bad joke!

Modern football at its absolute worst. 

1. Stadium so far from town

2. Last bus to ground 7pm full 2 hours before kick off.

3. Pay €3 for privilege.  No alternative.  No taxis. 

4. 3k walk to and from drop off

5. No proper beer

6. Drumming band by England fans so loud you could hear yourself think let alone generate atmosphere. 

7. Iceland fans no drummers

9. Opening ceremony! ! FFS cheering kids running around dancing.  UEFA Disney.  

10. Zero organization to get back on buses. People pushing crushing it was so very very French.  

Nice was by far the worst experience I have ever had. In so many ways. 

Stevo

44 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

5. No proper beer

6. Drumming band by England fans so loud you could hear yourself think let alone generate atmosphere. 

10. Zero organization to get back on buses. People pushing crushing it was so very very French.  

Stevo

A slow, casual walk along the Promenade des Anglais on a Spring morning or evening is wonderful.

Otherwise, give Nice, Cannes, St Tropez a wide berth - they are all overpriced and tatty. 

Stevo when do fly back mate?  Sorry nice was pants. Spoke to some Irish in nice airport after the Russia game and they were saying the ground was miles away . Was hoping to get back out for the quarters but was not to be get in touch mate  and will try to catch sometime soon all the best stick

20 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

5. No proper beer

Stevo

Agree with a lot of that. 

But I must say that was the most comfortable seat I've ever had, cushioned back and seat, plus, unlike our new south stand, loads of legroom. I didn't even have to stand to let someone by. I thought the stadium itself was great, a million times better than their old stadium.

To this day I don't understand why the shuttles dropped us so far from the ground. 

On 29/06/2016 at 10:35, sticks 1969 said:

Stevo when do fly back mate?  Sorry nice was pants. Spoke to some Irish in nice airport after the Russia game and they were saying the ground was miles away . Was hoping to get back out for the quarters but was not to be get in touch mate  and will try to catch sometime soon all the best stick

Back on the other side of the world mate. Maybe next time. Be well fella.

Stevo

Only just seen this thread! Our tour:-

Marseille: flew out via Amsterdam. Agree with all the hoo-haa comments on previous pages. Totally ruined by the 200 or so Russian idiots (they had a lot of genuine fans who seemed just as terrified by it). What doesn't make the news is 50000 England fans having a great party. and one hell of a noise in the ground. French organisation of just about everything was totally useless. Flight back cancelled by Air France strike. Had to come back via Faro Portugal, which turned out to be a nice Sunday afternoon out. I swore I'd never return to Marseille after being there in 1998 (riot on the beach) - I'm still of that mind.

Lens: motorcycled (!!) to Ypres, Belgium, then stayed outside Lille. Train to Lens. Loads of beer. The locals even knew how to pour it, unlike the rest of France. Fans mixing well. Just as it should be. 

Zig-zagged down France (Troyes, Macon, Chamonix, Evian) & ended up in Lyon. Train over to St Etienne. Repeat: French organisation of just about everything was totally useless. Getting into ground a complete fiasco (previous 2 games just a mini-fiasco). Organisation of trains back even worse. Game ended at 11pm, and finally got to Lyon at 3:30am. It's a 20 minute train ride normally.

Route Napoleon (look it up - motorcycle heaven), via Gap, down to Antibes for Nice. Ditto all comments in previous posts about the ground location & transport (or lack of it). Walked back to the airport rather than get the buses. Oh, and the oh-so glamorous Cote d'Azure is generally a complete pooh-hole. Well over-rated. Iceland fans & team were fantastic - I wish them well.

After elimination a quick exit, which isn't that quick when you have to do 1600km on a motorcycle on autoroutes back north,

After >20 years of tournaments I'm always expecting an England disaster, and so all expectations fully met in spades this time.

Overall impression was that a group of English fans could have organised everything better that the official French organisers. I hope they never get another tournament.

Archived