IGNORED

Bristol City Twelve mid week fixtures 5 home 7 away,WHY?

• Admin

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Considering we have one of the highest distances to travel The football league fixture department don't do Bristol City any favours

On the plus side that means we have 18 home on a Saturday and 16 away - so more home games on a Saturday is good?

Taken from http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-fixtures-qa-with-competitions-manager-paul-snellgrove-3144384.aspx

Maybe what you mention above is exactly the reason why we are away more?

Midweek fixtures are always a big talking point...

During our extensive review process we do look at all long journeys significantly and try to achieve the best solution overall. We will try and balance it out – if a club has five away trips, we'll do our best to make sure three or four out of those five aren't excessive in distance. 

One or two might be, but it will never be a case of every away trip being long distance, as we will always try to achieve a balance over a batch of away trips. Ultimately we do our utmost to avoid excessive journeys for supporters. 

We tend to schedule the most local games for weekends rather than midweek as that approach helps to maximise attendances at games across the season. 

Sending us to Ipswich on new years eve is ridiculous seems us and Cardiff have the worst fixture.

Aston Villa V Leeds

15:00  

Barnsley V Birmingham

Brentford V Norwich

Brighton V Cardiff

Derby V Wigan

Huddersfield V Blackburn

Ipswich V Bristol City

Newcastle V Nottm Forest

Preston V Sheff Wed

Reading V Fulham

Rotherham V Burton

Wolves V QPR

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Big C said:

I might be missing something but I can only see 4 at home and 5 away, unless you are counting bank holiday games

You are indeed correct @Big C , @Never to the dark side the others will be 12pm or 3pm on bank holidays

Norwich away Tuesday 16th August 7:45pm

Sheffield Wednesday Tuesday 13th September 7:45pm

QPR Tuesday 18th October 7:45pm

Leeds Utd Tuesday 14th February 7:45pm

Preston Tuesday 4th April 7:45pm

• Admin
55 minutes ago, Super said:

Sending us to Ipswich on new years eve is ridiculous seems us and Cardiff have the worst fixture.

Ipswich V Bristol City

I have a feeling many of the games from this day will be moved to the Friday evening, otherwise let's hope Gary O'Neil has a big house - we can all celebrate with him and his family.

Remember back in 2010 we should have been away to Southampton NYE but got moved to the Friday night

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

I have a feeling many of the games from this day will be moved to the Friday evening, otherwise let's hope Gary O'Neil has a big house - we can all celebrate with him and his family.

Remember back in 2010 we should have been away to Southampton NYE but got moved to the Friday night

also think QPR at home will be moved from the Saturday to Good Friday over the Easter Weekend

If we go back to last season we played

Burnley away on Monday 28 December and 300 city fans attended 205 miles

we played Preston on tuesday 15 september and 300 fans attended  189 miles

we played Huddersfield on a saturday and 1,200 city fans attended I know we had the ten pound offer 203 miles

we played sheff wed on a saturday THE boycotted match and 1,200 city fans attended 180 miles

The above four teams are similar distances

We can't all have a half day off on the day of the match

and then the following day off to recover from driving long distances to matches

24 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

If we go back to last season we played

Burnley away on Monday 28 December and 300 city fans attended 205 miles

we played Preston on tuesday 15 september and 300 fans attended  189 miles

we played Huddersfield on a saturday and 1,200 city fans attended I know we had the ten pound offer 203 miles

we played sheff wed on a saturday THE boycotted match and 1,200 city fans attended 180 miles

The above four teams are similar distances

We can't all have a half day off on the day of the match

and then the following day off to recover from driving long distances to matches

Huddersfield was about 750 away fans wasn't it?

"We travelled one of the lowest midweek miles last year. Our turn to travel more this season"

I don't have a problem with the long distance matches, its the day of the week that I get annoyed about

All four London trips and Reading were on Saturday

Who remembers  going to Chartleton for a mid week fixture and 2,000 went and four hundred were on the train back home

ref the Huddersfield comment,I should have aid Bolton Wanderes

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I expect Sky might have a say in that. E.g if they want to cover a game itll be moved to Friday

The long midweek trips actually make a bit of sense (kind of...bear with me)

We took 487 to Ipswich last season on a Saturday. Let's say that 50% of potential attendees are so inconvenienced by the fact that it's on a Tuesday that they can't make it. Even though it's a 50% reduction in attendance, less than 250 people miss out. 

Contrast with a fixture like Reading - we took 3,321 - it would only take 8% of people choosing not to go because it's in a Tuesday for more fans to miss out on the game than in the Ipswich scenario  

There is always going to be a certain section of fans who can't do any midweek away trips but can do so on weekends, so it kind of makes sense to try and organise it so that the likely lowest attended games are the ones in midweek. 

Plucking stays out the air here - but say 20% of people who would do an away trip on a Saturday wouldn't do it in midweek (regardless of distance). Doesn't it make sense to choose a fixture where your away attendance will be low rather than high? Using the examples above, you lose c. 100 ticket sales/revenue instead of c. 660. 

• Admin
28 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Doesn't it make sense to choose a fixture where your away attendance will be low rather than high? Using the examples above, you lose c. 100 ticket sales/revenue instead of c. 660. 

Would say that is spot on for me - personally due to work mid week games are practicallly a no no - no matter where they are, but on the flip side weekend games no matter where they are possible

Would assume that most work Monday to Friday - hence why this is done

• Admin
54 minutes ago, Big C said:

I may have dreamt this but I'm sure I read somewhere that smaller clubs prefer the longer trips midweek as it means they can travel up on the day and save on an overnight stay.

Not dreamt @Big C

David Cookson, fixtures secretary at the Football League pointed out in 2005:

"Supporters need to recognise that some clubs prefer to make long journeys in midweek - it cuts down on their overheads because they don't need to pay for overnight accommodation. The club will travel on the day of the game and head straight home after the match. These requests mean we now have very limited options when we try to minimise travel with supporters in mind. Fans do need to know that we do try and help them as much as we can, but at the end of the day the Football League has to get the fixtures played."

I think the above comment is okay for third and fourth divisions but in the Championship we have a bit more money.

David Cookson was the guy at an open football meeting in Crewe in the summer 2007 about compiling the fixture lists

The above statement is 11 years old and times and thoughts have changed

I recall one of the Saturday Ipswich games the team left on a Thursday for the game on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

I think the above comment is okay for third and fourth divisions but in the Championship we have a bit more money.

David Cookson was the guy at an open football meeting in Crewe in the summer 2007 about compiling the fixture lists

The above statement is 11 years old and times and thoughts have changed

I recall one of the Saturday Ipswich games the team left on a Thursday for the game on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought we pretty much always left on a Thursday for the further away Saturday games.

Archived