IGNORED

Metro at Ashton Vale

Port Said Red

I received this email today from Metrowest, presumably I am on their list as someone who has given feedback in the past. Perhaps someone on here that understands these things can interpret what they are looking at here.

______________________________________________________________________________________-_

Our micro-consultations on alternative access arrangements for Pill Station and Ashton Vale Industrial Estate are now concluded.

Following the Stage 1 consultation in 2015, these areas were identified as requiring possible changes to their design. The changes were felt to be significant enough to consult with local communities to explain the options and gauge opinion.

The micro-consultations have raised  some important issues that will help determine which options will be taken forward. All consultation responses will be fully considered by the MetroWest authorities before publishing proposals for the next stage of formal consultation.

Pill Station

As the designs for Pill Station developed, we identified that the purchase and demolition of the former Pill Station House would enable a small forecourt and disabled parking area to be constructed. This would mean an opportunity for some urban design works to create a more attractive entrance to the station. This would also remove the need for a new pedestrian bridge connecting the station ramp to Monmouth Road, reducing costs and avoiding some potentially difficult engineering constraints.

Four design options, including the original plan from the Stage 1 consultation which included the pedestrian bridge, were presented in the consultation.

Ashton Vale Industrial Estate

The Ashton Vale Industrial Estate consultation looked at options for an alternative highway route and alternative pedestrian and cycle route for accessing the industrial estate. The industrial estate is currently accessed via a level crossing on the existing freight line and once passenger services commence this would need to be closed for a significant amount of time each hour.

Six options for vehicle access and two for pedestrian and cycle access were presented in the consultation

Consultation report

The report on the Pill Station and Ashton Vale Industrial Estate alternative access can be viewed here. http://travelwest.info/projects/metrowest/metrowest-consultations

yes I received that too. Didn't realise anything had been decided.

The Ashton Vale Industrial Estate consultation looked at options for an alternative highway route and alternative pedestrian and cycle route for accessing the industrial estate. The industrial estate is currently accessed via a level crossing on the existing freight line and once passenger services commence this would need to be closed for a significant amount of time each hour.

I got the same email. It's long winded and I couldn't be arsed to read all 86 pages but there will be some on here that will a) read it and b) understand it.

I looked specifically at the Ashton Gate section but couldn't grasp that either.....:facepalm:

• Admin

Taken from the Metrowest site

Stage 2 Consultation on re-opening the Portishead branch line as part of MetroWest Phase 1

From 23 October to 4 December 2017 we are consulting with the local community, land/property owners, statutory bodies, government agencies, local interest groups and wider stakeholders on our plans to re-open the Portishead branch line and re-introduce passenger train services, as part of MetroWest Phase 1.

Re-opening the Portishead branch line requires development consent from the Secretary of State for Transport through a Development Consent Order (DCO).

This consultation is about our proposal to apply for a DCO to re-open the Portishead branch line as part of MetroWest Phase 1. Our wider MetroWest Phase 1 proposals also include increasing the frequency of trains for the Severn Beach Line and the Bath Spa to Bristol line – this does not require development consent and does not form part of this consultation.

To view the documents for this consultation, please scroll down this webpage to find the links to the Consultation Leaflet and the MetroWest document store. Also scroll down for details of how we are consulting and how you can send us your comments.

Consultation leaflet

Details of our proposals are set out in our consultation leaflet which can be downloaded below.

https://metrowestphase1.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/27543-metrowest-phase-1-campaign-final-web-version.pdf

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

Taken from the Metrowest site

Stage 2 Consultation on re-opening the Portishead branch line as part of MetroWest Phase 1

From 23 October to 4 December 2017 we are consulting with the local community, land/property owners, statutory bodies, government agencies, local interest groups and wider stakeholders on our plans to re-open the Portishead branch line and re-introduce passenger train services, as part of MetroWest Phase 1.

Re-opening the Portishead branch line requires development consent from the Secretary of State for Transport through a Development Consent Order (DCO).

This consultation is about our proposal to apply for a DCO to re-open the Portishead branch line as part of MetroWest Phase 1. Our wider MetroWest Phase 1 proposals also include increasing the frequency of trains for the Severn Beach Line and the Bath Spa to Bristol line – this does not require development consent and does not form part of this consultation.

To view the documents for this consultation, please scroll down this webpage to find the links to the Consultation Leaflet and the MetroWest document store. Also scroll down for details of how we are consulting and how you can send us your comments.

Consultation leaflet

Details of our proposals are set out in our consultation leaflet which can be downloaded below.

https://metrowestphase1.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/27543-metrowest-phase-1-campaign-final-web-version.pdf

I also heard on the radio today that the Ashton Gate Station is back on the agenda for this, the success of the stadium and the potential for more footfall from the development on the Wickes site has forced them to reconsider that option?

Ashton Gate Station

Bristol City Council commissioned a study to investigate the likely costs, benefits and operational feasibility of a new station near Ashton Gate stadium.

The former Ashton Gate station was served by the Bristol to Portishead rail line, which closed to passengers in 1964.

The Greater Bristol councils are developing the £60million MetroWest rail project, Phase 1 of which includes the reopening of the Portishead rail line to passenger services.

Our studies have shown that it is not feasible to build a new Ashton Gate station as part of Phase 1. A new station at Ashton Gate remains within the MetroWest new stations package.

The West of England Joint Transport Board has stated that implementing MetroWest Phase 1 will not rule out options for an Ashton Gate station. Network Rail has also confirmed that the scheme will be future-proofed to enable a new station to be developed when the funding and business case allow.

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

One train an hour in each direction is pathetic.

No mention of Ashton Gate or the Ashton Park and Ride.

It is, but its a start and better than none. 

45 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Ashton Gate Station

Bristol City Council commissioned a study to investigate the likely costs, benefits and operational feasibility of a new station near Ashton Gate stadium.

The former Ashton Gate station was served by the Bristol to Portishead rail line, which closed to passengers in 1964.

The Greater Bristol councils are developing the £60million MetroWest rail project, Phase 1 of which includes the reopening of the Portishead rail line to passenger services.

Our studies have shown that it is not feasible to build a new Ashton Gate station as part of Phase 1. A new station at Ashton Gate remains within the MetroWest new stations package.

The West of England Joint Transport Board has stated that implementing MetroWest Phase 1 will not rule out options for an Ashton Gate station. Network Rail has also confirmed that the scheme will be future-proofed to enable a new station to be developed when the funding and business case allow.

So basically, they are saying...

'Steve, you have lots of money, if you want a station you can pay for it'

46 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I went to Ashton Gate once by train. Went from Frome to Temple Meads. Started out ok until Trowbridge. 

Got busy then. Bath were at home. Once passed Bath it got better. Nice walk to AG from TM.

Football was good. Think it was Blackburn from memory. We thought we’d get the train from Parson Street to TM.

Joined the throng. Waited ages. Train arrives. 2 carriages. Much pushing and shoving and the guard announces that those on the platform will have to wait. Couldn’t be bothered to get those inside to move up.

****** pulls off leaving us to walk to TM.

Never again. I’m afraid that most public transport in the UK is appalling.

Anything with the name Metro is destined to be shit or “a great idea of the liberal elite”. Metro mayor anyone? Or a Harvest Gold BL Mini Metro?

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I went to Ashton Gate once by train. Went from Frome to Temple Meads. Started out ok until Trowbridge. 

Got busy then. Bath were at home. Once passed Bath it got better. Nice walk to AG from TM.

Football was good. Think it was Blackburn from memory. We thought we’d get the train from Parson Street to TM.

Joined the throng. Waited ages. Train arrives. 2 carriages. Much pushing and shoving and the guard announces that those on the platform will have to wait. Couldn’t be bothered to get those inside to move up.

Anything with the name Metro is destined to be shit or “a great idea of the liberal elite”. Metro mayor anyone? Or a Harvest Gold BL Mini Metro?

Have to agree. As someone who lived in Pill, it would have been fantastic for a station to have been built there, as the freight trains still use the track. Would have made commuting from the suburbs to The Gate brilliant. 

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I believe there is only single track that runs down the Gorge and I cannot see how that could be expanded to two tracks. For that reason a train running from Ashton would have to wait for the Portishead train to arrive before it could set off.

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I believe there is only single track that runs down the Gorge and I cannot see how that could be expanded to two tracks. For that reason a train running from Ashton would have to wait for the Portishead train to arrive before it could set off.

Single track from Bedminster to Pill. The trackbed widens just after Ham Green Tunnel to allow two lines over the viaduct and at Pill Station.  The original half hourly plan worked on reinstating this aspect of the line.

42 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Single track from Bedminster to Pill. The trackbed widens just after Ham Green Tunnel to allow two lines over the viaduct and at Pill Station.  The original half hourly plan worked on reinstating this aspect of the line.

Ah okay. Maybe they just don't think the demand will be there. 

3 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I thought the Harvest Gold colour added a sort of Penelope Keith 'To the Manor Born' elegance to the Mini Metro to be fair. 

We are served quite well with local train services here in the Midlands. 

There is a funny one at the Rico Arena though. Network rail finally opened a station at the stadium however it can't be used on match days or event days because they don't have the train capacity. Currently there is one, two coach train per hour in either direction.

It has been the subject of much ridicule in the Midlands press.

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

We are served quite well with local train services here in the Midlands. 

There is a funny one at the Rico Arena though. Network rail finally opened a station at the stadium however it can't be used on match days or event days because they don't have the train capacity. Currently there is one, two coach train per hour in either direction.

It has been the subject of much ridicule in the Midlands press.

I assume any station at Ashton gate would have the same restrictions.

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

I assume any station at Ashton gate would have the same restrictions.

Yep although they talked about possibility of trains running from BTM to a spured AG station that would allow for more frequent service. However I sense the police aren’t in favour of an AG station due to the need to then keep the peace so to speak 

5 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I’m afraid that most public transport in the UK is appalling.

We have it better in the UK as far as public transport goes, compared to many countries.

People are sitting on top of trains/buses in India to being almost non existent in the US. In Japan you get literally pushed onto a train by station stewards.

Yes, its overpriced and in general crap but at least its there.

1 hour ago, CrazyInWeston said:

We have it better in the UK as far as public transport goes, compared to many countries.

People are sitting on top of trains/buses in India to being almost non existent in the US. In Japan you get literally pushed onto a train by station stewards.

no its not and when you say trains are packed in India yes they are but the people are happy sitting on the top of the train, health and safety wont allow that over here but will allow you to stand(unlike football)

uk public transport is just like any government or civil service department. not fit  for purpose.

6 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Perhaps everyone should experience overseas travel in countries that are poorer than us before writing ours off as that bad. I know often they can't and can only speak from local knowledge. I am just trying to re-set the balance and say our system is pretty darn good in spite of all its foibles and irritating quirks. The Ashton Gate station subject is one of those but it is no easier overseas except perhaps China where Communism bulldozes peoples homes without much thought or compensation and networks are built in remarkably short time frames. So unless we become a communist dictatorship we have to go through certain procedures and while they sometimes move at snails pace that is democracy I suppose.

4 hours ago, reddoh said:

no its not and when you say trains are packed in India yes they are but the people are happy sitting on the top of the train, health and safety wont allow that over here but will allow you to stand(unlike football)

uk public transport is just like any government or civil service department. not fit  for purpose.

I think you are speaking from an elevated position, excuse the pun, looking down on the much maligned British public transport network. Much maligned largely because the British press are marvellously adroit at flogging a story so relentlessly that a level of exaggeration becomes fact. While the network is by no means considered the best in Europe nor would it likely beat Japan or even Korea for efficiency it walks all over the US and probably Canada for network reach, even after Beachings overly zealous cuts of the 60's. In short the network is easily one of the best in the world in spite of all of the shortcomings.

I invite you to experience the public rail network of India (or maybe you have) and for a while you will be in awe of such things as how they ram 2000 people into or onto a carriage fit for 100 or how sitting on the roof heading up to Darjeeling is nothing short of a worldly experience every adventure traveller should do. After a while though, as you commute to your office in New Delhi you will long for a delayed train from Reading heading into Paddington. As for the Philippines? What public transport there is I can reliably inform you is slow, overcrowded, dirty, turns up when it wants and unless you get on at Station 1 is standing room only. 

10 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Perhaps everyone should experience overseas travel in countries that are poorer than us before writing ours off as that bad. I know often they can't and can only speak from local knowledge. I am just trying to re-set the balance and say our system is pretty darn good in spite of all its foibles and irritating quirks. The Ashton Gate station subject is one of those but it is no easier overseas except perhaps China where Communism bulldozes peoples homes without much thought or compensation and networks are built in remarkably short time frames. So unless we become a communist dictatorship we have to go through certain procedures and while they sometimes move at snails pace that is democracy I suppose.

I think you are speaking from an elevated position, excuse the pun, looking down on the much maligned British public transport network. Much maligned largely because the British press are marvellously adroit at flogging a story so relentlessly that a level of exaggeration becomes fact. While the network is by no means considered the best in Europe nor would it likely beat Japan or even Korea for efficiency it walks all over the US and probably Canada for network reach, even after Beachings overly zealous cuts of the 60's. In short the network is easily one of the best in the world in spite of all of the shortcomings.

I invite you to experience the public rail network of India (or maybe you have) and for a while you will be in awe of such things as how they ram 2000 people into or onto a carriage fit for 100 or how sitting on the roof heading up to Darjeeling is nothing short of a worldly experience every adventure traveller should do. After a while though, as you commute to your office in New Delhi you will long for a delayed train from Reading heading into Paddington. As for the Philippines? What public transport there is I can reliably inform you is slow, overcrowded, dirty, turns up when it wants and unless you get on at Station 1 is standing room only. 

Our public transport is shocking compared to everywhere i’ve been in Europe and I’m not just talking about the cost, I think we are one step up from some of the transport in third world countries

On 10/30/2017 at 13:12, cidered abroad said:

get open first, if the demand is tere then the number of trains will increase (thats what happend on the avonmouth branch and Ebbw Vale Line)

Archived