IGNORED

Bosman ruling

WarksRobin

Too much money in today's game for me to see it changing English football. Especially at the premier league level. 

To be more specific, I can't see many things changing especially quickly including this rule and many others you would think could be effected. Money will prevail as always. 

I don't like the Brexit and think it's a step back for humanity but it won't change things. Organisations and people with money will find a way. 

27 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

A potential side effect of Brexit that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, but the Bosman ruling only applies in the EU. Depending on the post-EU employment rights it may not apply in the UK in future.

This was a European Court of Justice ruling based on freedom of movement of workers. As you say, when the UK leaves the EU, it might be written into UK law or it might not. I doubt that the ruling will go, because if clubs tried to restrict players' right to move, it could be challenged as, for example, a restraint of trade. Money and what the clubs want will be irrelevant. Clubs will have to comply with employment law, the same as any other employer. 

27 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I can't see this changing.

Back when Bosman won his case, players had very little power and were just traded by clubs. That`s all changed dramatically now. Can you see Real Madrid saying to Ronaldo when his contract expires that he`s not allowed to go to Man Utd, they`re selling him to Bayern instead and him putting up with it.

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Prior to Bosman exploding this, didn't our very own Chris Honor take a similar case to court when he was OOC at (possibly) Airdrie or somewhere else in sweaty land. Everyone bNgs on about Bosman but I think Honor was there first????

He was my ex boss at Esso, strange fella. Would put his own CCTV on us and watch us when he was in the comfort of his own home

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Prior to Bosman exploding this, didn't our very own Chris Honor take a similar case to court when he was OOC at (possibly) Airdrie or somewhere else in sweaty land. Everyone bNgs on about Bosman but I think Honor was there first????

His professional career was finished by Airdrie. He was out of contract but they still demanded a fee before he was allowed to sign for another club. I beleive he started legal proceedings, which dragged on for years, but the Bosman ruling came just before a conclusion. 

Interesting point but as some have said above I think that this is one of the many existing laws that we will retain.

The more extreme remainer claiming that everything (employment laws, environmental rules etc.) would just be ripped up on Brexit so resulting in a wild west style free for all was talking nonsense as was generally appreciated at the time.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Interesting point but as some have said above I think that this is one of the many existing laws that we will retain.

The more extreme remainer claiming that everything (employment laws, environmental rules etc.) would just be ripped up on Brexit so resulting in a wild west style free for all was talking nonsense as was generally appreciated at the time.

Although the French seem to be doing their best to do just that since Thursday.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Although the French seem to be doing their best to do just that since Thursday.

The Mayor of Calais was spouting off but their government told them there was no chance of just dropping the border agreement.

We are (generally) dealing with grown-ups here.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The Mayor of Calais was spouting off but their government told them there was no chance of just dropping the border agreement.

We are (generally) dealing with grown-ups here.

I certainly hope so although when Hollande comes out and says he wants to see rules in place requiring UK visitors to have visas by Christmas you do wonder!

Archived