IGNORED

Adam Matthews - Signed (Season Long Loan)

Eastend

I actually expected this one to be fairly straightforward. Obvious Sunderland don't want him. I liked watching Matthews get better and better as he became match fit. Possible stumbling block: he'll probably want wages not far off what Tomlin's now on. Whatever they may be. Fee probably around £1.5-£2m. Doubt we'd pay more for a right-back. If he'd have made the Welsh Euros squad and played (even one match), that would have put an end to our chances. Think if this one happens it'll be towards the end of the month. But, you'd expect Johnson to have his eye on another full back. 

Personally I think the main difficulty is Sunderland landing another right back, they wanted Yedlin but I bet Spurs as per usual are holding out for a big offer. They were after a French one too. If they get one I wouldn't be surprised to see Matthews here providing he doesn't demand ridiculous wages 

He is a very steady championship quality RB and sometimes that can be like goldust in the championship. Wouldn't surprise me if other clubs are interested and he's holding out for a better deal. Then again Bristol is close to home and he seemed to of enjoyed himself here last season.

5 minutes ago, Eastend said:

He is a very steady championship quality RB and sometimes that can be like goldust in the championship. Wouldn't surprise me if other clubs are interested and he's holding out for a better deal. Then again Bristol is close to home and he seemed to of enjoyed himself here last season.

It was reported that he wanted to be closer to his family in South Wales .

At least that rules out Naarich City .

Saw somewhere that the fee and wages were higher than we wanted to go. Maybe the Tomlin deal means less wages for a RB. Personally, I wouldn't be angry if Ayling had another go out there. Save the money for a CB and go after RB later. Obviously you can't pick when you do deals but we didn't see Ayling much in the back 4 too much after the injury and Cheltenham thing. Reckon he could be a few games from being a rock there. We can afford to wait on this deal. 

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

We got Matthews , Tomlin and Baker on loan last season, so if we can't get all we want on permanent deals now it is not the end of the world, we can still use loans to plug the gaps. 

Well until the end of the window... We definitely need a bigger squad.

Anyone who believes Alan Nixon is actually ITK at every Football Club is extremely naive. Somebody asked him if a made up player called Shanta Kordbatchje was signing for Wigan and he replied "Heard name linked with other clubs." This proves that he must make an educated guess for every tweet he recieves and hopes he won't look stupid.

5 minutes ago, Kodjia said:

Anyone who believes Alan Nixon is actually ITK at every Football Club is extremely naive. Somebody asked him if a made up player called Shanta Kordbatchje was signing for Wigan and he replied "Heard name linked with other clubs." This proves that he must make an educated guess for every tweet he recieves and hopes he won't look stupid.

Well if Kordbatchje is a central defender maybe we should be in for him as well...:whistle::P

52 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Matthews is better than both Ayling and Little, if we want to progress in this division then he needs to be our first choice option and I believe come the start of the season he will be lining up against Wigan

Of course he is but 1m plus say 12-15k in wages is an expensive RB especially when there are other holes to fill. No rush for a RB. LJ has said it'll take 3 windows to complete his squad. Maybe Matthews will go somewhere else or maybe he'll sit until January. Who knows? Think we can afford to wait this one out. 

If I was asked about Matthews signing for us, the fact that he was on loan with us as Sam doesn't want him and it is now well into July, my default reply would be "it is proving difficult".  It doesn't tell you anything and whichever way it pans out I was clearly ITK.......

As we aren't ITK, could possibly be one that LJ alluded to in his interview the other day. Not only may it be dependant on Sunderland signing another RB, but there may even be some sort of contractual element as he hasn't requested a move and the lad and his agent may be negotiating with both parties to ensure he doesn't miss out. Although he hardly set the world on fire on Wearside, he had a good career before moving there, is only 24 and has been capped at every level by Wales from youth upwards. If he stays fit, gets regular football and maintains his form he'll almost certainly get back into the Wales reckoning and challenge Gunter for that 2 shirt. A player like that is worth waiting for, but I'm sure LJ and MA will not make monkeys out of the club if it becomes too complicated.

In my opinion we really need Matthews, he is a massive step up on Luke Ayling and Mark Little. He is just as good going forward as those 2, and a far better reader of the game at the back. He stopped us conceding numerous times when teams counter attacked us towards the end of the season. His pace and reading of the game are very very good. He also has a decent long throw on him as well that may come in handy.

11 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

In my opinion we really need Matthews, he is a massive step up on Luke Ayling and Mark Little. He is just as good going forward as those 2, and a far better reader of the game at the back. He stopped us conceding numerous times when teams counter attacked us towards the end of the season. His pace and reading of the game are very very good. He also has a decent long throw on him as well that may come in handy.

Agreed. When he was fit he made a massive difference to us defensively & offensively. He's smooth on the ball & can whip in a lovely cross on the run. Experienced at Championship level, Internationally & in Europe. Can also play left back & right mid. Got my fingers crossed on this one. 

16 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

His throw ins were like corners! Such a threat from them. 

Archived