IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda - Signed

Rocky

1 hour ago, boatman said:

Any one remember the Old Manor Ground?

i visited in about 1999 and have experienced anything like it before.

yea I remember it well got removed for over exuberance so climbed the tree behind the stand and watched the game there

My favourite Manor Ground memory is the fact that at the back if the away end, there was a hut selling hot beverages.  For those that needed sugar in their drinks, the caterers had kindly put bowls of sugar lumps our side of the hut serving ledge. What the caterers hadn't realised was just how many lumps  some City fans  needed.

A corner was taken by us. The keeper went to jump when suddenly was bombarded with sugar lumps. The six yard box looked like hailstones had landed! 

Shortly after the sugar lumps incident, Junior was polaxed by Penney who only got a ticking off.

5 hours ago, kevthered said:

Unforrtunately I am old enough to remember when they played top level ...Old division one in the late seventies :laugh:... Unless i'm going daft :laugh:

I'm old enough to remember when Ron Atkinson played for them. 

On our run to the League Cup semis we beat Oxford over two legs in the first round. 4-2 to us up there (Dean Saunders played for them IIRC), won 2-0 at home with Steve Maclaren scoring one of ours (I think). One memory of the first game was one of their goals came from a long shot that hit the bar, bounced out and hit Andy Leaning on the back and rebounded into the net.

Went to the Manor Ground on the back of my brother's motor bike on a rainy day in the 75/76 promotion season.

City and Oxford fans either side of a fence in the covered end.

Their recent signing from Chelsea, winger Peter Houseman - who was to die in a car crash about a year later - scored a tap in for them right in front of us.

City went up that season, Oxford were relegated.

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Went to the Manor Ground on the back of my brother's motor bike on a rainy day in the 75/76 promotion season.

City and Oxford fans either side of a fence in the covered end.

Their recent signing from Chelsea, winger Peter Houseman - who was to die in a car crash about a year later - scored a tap in for them right in front of us.

City went up that season, Oxford were relegated.

if I remember rightly Cheesley was carrying an injury, scored the opener and was virtually immediately subbed.

24 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

My memory of the manor ground was young Steve Phillips having an absolute shocker of a game. 

I was there! It was one of Flappers early games for City and he tried to boot a back pass up the pitch but missed it completely and the ball rolled into the net.......:facepalm:

Archived