IGNORED

Bristol City coming to Norn Iron. ...at last!!!@

Norn Iron

5-3

Alan Walsh again! Wearing no 10 shirt. MCCAULSKY chased the ball. Keeper had to come out but could only head it. Ball fell nicely to Andrews who from edge of box chipped it over keeper into an empty net. We'll taken. 

27 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

The problem is that the Glens have fielded a reserve team this half. ....they are now at our standard.. 

Lummydaze. That used to happen in my Junior School when we were lining up for a hiding. Wouldn't expect that for a side of (I assume) full time Under-21's. Embarrassing or what? 

Maybe they should have asked our opponents  to take a player off every 10 minutes in an attempt to keep the score down. 

17 minutes ago, cynic said:

Six conceded !

McAllister will be apoplectic...

After the much lauded U-21 recruitment he will have a red face.

Rightly so....

To be fair Jonny Smith didn't play and O'Leary, Vyner, Di Girolamo and Garita are all in Spain..

4 minutes ago, Robin 101 said:

Very poor result and by the sound of it performance, but id still much rather the U21s were getting experience against senior sides then fellow youth teams.

Not for me. 

Got to find a level where we start winning games and developing a winners mentality. From that we can develop confidence, create the time and space to develop skills and tactics. All we seem to be doing at the moment is breeding a bunch of losers. If we need to play Under-11 sides in order to start winning, so be it. 

They should hate getting beat. If they do, they'll be completely demoralised by now given last season's and these friendlies efforts. If they don't mind getting beat then we should get rid. 

5 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Not for me. 

Got to find a level where we start winning games and developing a winners mentality. From that we can develop confidence, create the time and space to develop skills and tactics. All we seem to be doing at the moment is breeding a bunch of losers. If we need to play Under-11 sides in order to start winning, so be it. 

They should hate getting beat. If they do, they'll be completely demoralised by now given last season's and these friendlies efforts. If they don't mind getting beat then we should get rid. 

I agree to a point however I dont believe we should be lowering the standard of opposition until we can get a win, The U21s need to understand they have to work for everything and when they do get the results they will have earned it which will be far more rewarding.

It's just a friendly. It shows the lads how much harder they need to work to become what they want to be. They done well to pull it back to 5-3 and sounds like they showed a bit of spirit. It's their first game together after a good 5 new faces. No harm in this. They'll get better 

10 minutes ago, Robin 101 said:

I agree to a point however I dont believe we should be lowering the standard of opposition until we can get a win, The U21s need to understand they have to work for everything and when they do get the results they will have earned it which will be far more rewarding.

Accept that principle. Not a close follower of our Under-21's, but can't recall the last victory.

A losing mentality helps no one though. 'Hard work' plus, perhaps, an acceptance you aren't very good and have a lot to do is part of the solution, but only part. 

It's ok because this is a friendly and learning is exactly what these type of games should be for.

They will need to do a lot better in the near future though and I guess that's Jamie McAllister's job to do that.

So much to discuss. 

It was great to meet up with the East Belfast crew. Thoroughly enjoyed their banter.  The flag owner is an Atyeo season ticket holder. Major respect!

JMc will earn his money training/teaching his team from lessons learned over here.  I do believe it is a wake up call for the players as to what is the required standard to make the transition into the first team squad. It's all very well being fit but Glenavon are part-timers and played better as a team. They also knew how to put the ball into the back of the net!

It is the way forward without a shadow of doubt. Spending time and money on the U21s squad should be supported and applauded. If the U21s return next year, which I hope they do, I'm sure we'll see a better performance in every aspect of the game.

The Glens were well supported and I was made very welcome by all concerned which included one of their directors. He must have thought I was part of the touring party until I told him I live on the North Coast!

I do not underestimate the Northern Ireland league any more. You only have to look at their national team to realise that a country the size of Yorkshire can produce enough players to get to this year's Euros. Therefore,  there must be younger players in Norn Iron that can make the grade. 

it seems that the Glens fielded 4 players that will be having trials with us, hence the game tonight......watch this space.

10 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Not for me. 

Got to disagree with this fella...with respect...playing other U 21 teams does not prepare you for playing against men.

It's one of the reasons Burnley have pulled out of the development league, as they realised that their players were not progressing, due to the big step up.

These players do hate being beat...they do play to win...but they don't get demoralised, as they are being asked to try things, learn from the mistakes, make the right decisions, and when trying things, if they don't work out, they have learnt why and know not to try it in a game that actually matters. They understand.

Mans football even at lower leagues, especially in this country, is so much more physical. U 21's are beaten up. They realise how important certain aspects of that game are important. Using mind, body shape and positioning...making the right decisions etc.

It's their University... you can make mistakes at Uni...but you work hard to get that prime job ( the first team ). Then you go on the journey of apprenticeship ( loaned out like young Burns )...learning your skills in a way that won't damage your business ( club ) if you make mistakes. Then you get the call up ( promotion, like young Reid last season ) where everything you've learnt comes to the fore.

Playing other U 21's continually only finds one level...you need the mix.

• Admin
11 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I do not underestimate the Northern Ireland league any more. You only have to look at their national team to realise that a country the size of Yorkshire can produce enough players to get to this year's Euros. Therefore,  there must be younger players in Norn Iron that can make the grade. 

As a side issue, and I honestly don't know the answer, but how many of the Euro squad were actually born there and went through the leagues, compared with how many qualify via a relative and have never made played over there?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

As a side issue, and I honestly don't know the answer, but how many of the Euro squad were actually born there and went through the leagues, compared with how many qualify via a relative and have never made played over there?

Great question Phantom.

I have just gone through the details of every player on Wikipedia to check place of birth. A few profiles do not state where they were born.

However, they do state who they initially played for eg Dungannon Swifts or a primary school.  From this I think it's fair to say that they are Norn Iron born. 

With this in mind, out of the 23 man squad, only 5 were born outside of Norn Iron. The most famous of them is Will Grigg who didn't kick a ball in any of the 4 matches! This means 18 players were born in Norn Iron Or 78% of the squad.

I think that's pretty impressive. 

13 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

So much to discuss. 

It was great to meet up with the East Belfast crew. Thoroughly enjoyed their banter.  The flag owner is an Atyeo season ticket holder. Major respect!

JMc will earn his money training/teaching his team from lessons learned over here.  I do believe it is a wake up call for the players as to what is the required standard to make the transition into the first team squad. It's all very well being fit but Glenavon are part-timers and played better as a team. They also knew how to put the ball into the back of the net!

It is the way forward without a shadow of doubt. Spending time and money on the U21s squad should be supported and applauded. If the U21s return next year, which I hope they do, I'm sure we'll see a better performance in every aspect of the game.

The Glens were well supported and I was made very welcome by all concerned which included one of their directors. He must have thought I was part of the touring party until I told him I live on the North Coast!

it seems that the Glens fielded 4 players that will be having trials with us, hence the game tonight......watch this space.

Did Jake Andrews look as good as Jamie Mac made out? Know the lad well, will be good to see him progress

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Got to disagree with this fella...with respect...playing other U 21 teams does not prepare you for playing against men.

It's one of the reasons Burnley have pulled out of the development league, as they realised that their players were not progressing, due to the big step up.

These players do hate being beat...they do play to win...but they don't get demoralised, as they are being asked to try things, learn from the mistakes, make the right decisions, and when trying things, if they don't work out, they have learnt why and know not to try it in a game that actually matters. They understand.

Mans football even at lower leagues, especially in this country, is so much more physical. U 21's are beaten up. They realise how important certain aspects of that game are important. Using mind, body shape and positioning...making the right decisions etc.

It's their University... you can make mistakes at Uni...but you work hard to get that prime job ( the first team ). Then you go on the journey of apprenticeship ( loaned out like young Burns )...learning your skills in a way that won't damage your business ( club ) if you make mistakes. Then you get the call up ( promotion, like young Reid last season ) where everything you've learnt comes to the fore.

Playing other U 21's continually only finds one level...you need the mix.

Exactly Spud. JM said post match yesterday the only difference in the game was 1st half we didn't deal with the physical aspect of Glenavon. 2nd half we were more aggressive, got in their faces & only then started to come in to the game.

This is why we have bulked our U21's out this summer so the likes of Vyner, Dowling, Baldwin, Mclousky etc, can go out on loan to a man's league, play each week for points where it actually means something unlike at U21 level.

Eventually we should follow Burnley & scrap our development league IMO.

Also credit to our resident Irish scout (LN) as I see the boy Joel Cooper impressed against our 21s yesterday & has been excellent all week in training by all accounts. Along with Paul Smyth at Linfield both were training with the N.I squad during the Euro's while Cooper won all the N.Ire awards last season. Both excellent prospects.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Did Jake Andrews look as good as Jamie Mac made out? Know the lad well, will be good to see him progress

It wasn't a joke when I said he was Alan Walsh. The free kick was in Alan Walsh territory so I chanted Alan Walsh's name!  Jake then scored as if he was Alan Walsh! Both have blonde hair and Jake was wearing a no 10 shirt as well! 

If Jake continues to progress there is absolutely no reason why he can't emulate Alan who must be the best player City had in the 80's alongside Sir Bob.

Re JMc interview. ....Jamie  omitted that there was a different Glenavon team for the second half. Everything else that Jamie said, was correct. I was watching the same match has him but Jamie didn't have to send reports to OTIB....so he saw more of the game!

On 22/07/2016 at 16:38, Norn Iron said:

It wasn't a joke when I said he was Alan Walsh. The free kick was in Alan Walsh territory so I chanted Alan Walsh's name!  Jake then scored as if he was Alan Walsh! Both have blonde hair and Jake was wearing a no 10 shirt as well! 

If Jake continues to progress there is absolutely no reason why he can't emulate Alan who must be the best player City had in the 80's alongside Sir Bob.

Re JMc interview. ....Jamie  omitted that there was a different Glenavon team for the second half. Everything else that Jamie said, was correct. I was watching the same match has him but Jamie didn't have to send reports to OTIB....so he saw more of the game!

Brilliant to hear, thanks

Really pleased George Dowling got onto the pitch at Cheltenham last night. I confused him with Joe Morrell at Glenavon. Despite his error that led to an easy goal, George was the best player for us. Shaun McCaulsky also deserved a first team try out.  He scored from a decent cross but had little else service wise.  

Archived