IGNORED

Will Wes Burns dominate Scottish football?

reddogkev

Bit speculative here, so please forgive the fantasy football element, but does Burns have the potential to menace the Scottish Premier?

I've heard it mentioned on here that with his pace, and his developing eye for goal, he could score a hatful.  Well, I'd certainly fancy him to tear a lot of those borderline amateur defences to ribbons, and as his confidence grows, he'll also grow in stature.

We could easily see a situation develop where he becomes the main man for the Dons this season, top scores for them, and then.. what happens next?

Does he return to us after the end of his loan (or perhaps in January), or does he attract the interest of the old firm, or perhaps even a bigger English club than ourselves?

This could mean that he becomes the subject of a decent offer from either Celtic, Rangers or someone else.

Of course, I've probably now put a hex on him and he'll be lucky to hit more than a couple!

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt that Scottish football is of a lower standard than the SBC I doubt Burns will impress that much.

He's all pace just as Junior Bent used to be with little or no end product also like Junior Bent.....:facepalm:

I reckon he can head a ball slightly better than Junior and can't possibly be as bad a finisher him.!!!

I'm not sure what he's supposed to be yet. I thought he was going to be a striker, but when he's played in the first team he's been used out wide and very inconsistent - worryingly reminiscent of Ivan Sproule.

Good header the other night. Does he hope to be a central goal poacher?

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt that Scottish football is of a lower standard than the SBC I doubt Burns will impress that much.

He's all pace just as Junior Bent used to be with little or no end product also like Junior Bent.....:facepalm:

Bit harsh Mr Grumpy!!

Yes the SPL is a weaker league but why doubt the kid before he's had a good crack of the whip. He had a great loan spell last season (in admitedly a lower Div) and LJ & Chris Coleman can't both be bad judges!

He's been handed a new contract, scored on his Aberdeen debut in Europe and will frighten Scottish defences to death and gain much needed 1st team football

As for a comparison to JB that's just laughable

Surely a glass half full scenario?

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wow, even by your low standards that's pretty unbelievable.

I've never come across anyone who has watched so much football but appears to understand so little about it.

I believe he can but just because he scored the other night doesn't mean he will score 20 by January. He's got the pace as we all know. Sure, his finishing isn't the best but he's rarely got to play in his favoured position as a central striker. He's got all the attributes for it. He now just needs to use this loan to get the confidence and experience in his position. He's often been used out wide here and probably trained as such. He could've stayed and been out out wide again to fit him in but decided on a loan where he can make a name for himself as a striker. 

Hes got the potential to cause some trouble to the defences up there and I hope he does. He just needs the game time as a striker. That's why he's on loan. Not because he's a bad player. 

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wow, even by your low standards that's pretty unbelievable.

I've never come across anyone who has watched so much football but appears to understand so little about it.

Junior Bent - very quick but couldn't cross a ball consistently. As Raspberry says couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Wes Burns - very quick but can't cross the ball consistently. Is slightly better in front of goal than JB was.

A slight difference I'll admit........

What else is there to understand?   :dunno:

To be fair he showed at Fleetwood last season he can finish. Scored a few decent goals. Obviously not the finished article by a long way but perhaps LJ reckons he can score a fair few in the SPL. He knows the league having played for Hearts and Killie. 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Junior Bent - very quick but couldn't cross a ball consistently. As Raspberry says couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Wes Burns - very quick but can't cross the ball consistently. Is slightly better in front of goal than JB was.

JB played 200 odd games for City

WB has played barely 10% of that so hardly fair to judge like for like as WB is still improving where as JB was the 'Finished Article' so hardly a fair comparison

51 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I hope you have to eat your words .

I , for one , think that Wes could become a top , top forward .

He needs regular starts , which I hope he'll get in Jockland , to really have a solid season with some goals and this could launch his career .

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What if you don't think Wes is a winger and that's why he's not a great crosser? Genuine question. I think if you feel Wes is a winger then he may not be good enough. If you feel Wes is a striker then you think there is untapped potential. 

25 minutes ago, BITW said:

To be fair he showed at Fleetwood last season he can finish. Scored a few decent goals. Obviously not the finished article by a long way but perhaps LJ reckons he can score a fair few in the SPL. He knows the league having played for Hearts and Killie. 

The first time he had a run of games in his preferred centre forward role he scored goals (Fleetwood). He gets played wide because he has pace but neither he or those closest to him see him as a winger - didn`t we recall him from a loan at Cheltenham because they were playing him wide and we didn`t want that? With his pace, heading ability, strength and perhaps a little more composure he will be a good central striker IMO.

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What if you don't think Wes is a winger and that's why he's not a great crosser? Genuine question. I think if you feel Wes is a winger then he may not be good enough. If you feel Wes is a striker then you think there is untapped potential. 

I don't remember seeing Burns playing anywhere other than out wide. He might well be a useful striker and if he plays up top in Scotland he'll get a chance to prove himself as a goalscorer.

I think a few people on here are going to have to eat their words in the future regarding young Burns.

He has a lot of talent...the only thing that has held him back, is Bristol City.

Because he's got pace...it does not just make him a 'winger'.

Having watched him closely, he has a great eye for goal, gets in good positions, and reads the game well, and is able to use that pace to beat defenders to the ball.

Played and developed in a Striking position, should have been done far earlier imo.

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Rubberhead out of interest how many times have actually seen wes play? 

How many times was it the full 90 minutes ?

Look now sonny Jim, Wes might not make it then again he might who knows but I won't be writing him off after a handful of starts! 

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don't remember seeing Burns playing anywhere other than out wide. He might well be a useful striker and if he plays up top in Scotland he'll get a chance to prove himself as a goalscorer.

Fair enough. I've only seen him out wide as well except for that sub appearance at West Brom. He certainly has the pace for out wide but as you said his crossing has let him down. I think most of us are hoping he can develop as a striker for us as he's seen as a striker for Wales and scored a few for Fleetwood there. 

16 minutes ago, I am the mole said:

Rubberhead out of interest how many times have actually seen wes play? 

How many times was it the full 90 minutes ?

Look now sonny Jim, Wes might not make it then again he might who knows but I won't be writing him off after a handful of starts! 

Burns hasn't had many if any starts at City and so I and others don't really know what he's capable of. Clearly with so little game time at City then a loan  makes perfect sense.

But.....from what I've seen of him thus far he doesn't fill me with excitement when he gets the ball. That said, I hope he I really hope he does well up North and returns with greater potential for making th first team.

4 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Have a gut feeling Wes is going to do very well up there.

I'm certainly hoping so.

If that happens does it then demonstrate that:

• Wes should be a regular starter in the first team, or
  • We should never buy a Scottish footballer again because the standard is so woeful?

Archived