IGNORED

Big Sam gets the England Job

Nomad

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He should n't be underestimated . He has this reputation as a footballing dinosaur but nothing could be further from the truth .

He revolutionised Bolton with his training méthods , sports scientists and general professional attitudes that he instigated.

Absolutely right - anybody conforming to the idea that Allardyce is a footballing dinosaur should read a bit more about his time at Bolton, and his other clubs, as in fact he was ahead of his time.

I'm pleased about this appointment and I think the players will respond to him as well as any other appointment. They will believe in him and his methods and Allardyce knows how to play good football, so nothing to fear.

Good luck to him.

24 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I wasn't being rude, it's was just factually inaccurate. I think big sam might think their comments rude, after explaining how wrong they are..! 

Incidentally, would you agree with their run down of his credentials. 

It wasn't a factual argument. No facts were stated. It was a subjective opinion and hers is just as valid as yours.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I expect I'm alone, but anyway...it's a sad state for English football when the answer is Sam Allerdyce.

No your'e not alone but just a little late for the party.

The appointment of Roy Hodgson was the "sad state" answer for me.

Einstein said that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different answer.

Hopefully, Sam will motivate this bunch of overpaid, over-rated bottlers.

Probably the best candidate to do this, so well done the FA for breaking your habit of appointing a 'technically astute' and compliant suit. 

28 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm used to it. I don't think he likes my opinions much, don't worry about it, I certainly don't.

I'm sorry but he is right; Allardyce has been quoted as being exceptionally popular with other managers, revolutionised Bolton and is one of the most active & knowledgeable voices in the LMA. Sunderland are gutted to lose him, and they actually know what he can do.

Of course time will tell. But i see it panning out something similar to this. 

We sail through qualification for the World Cup finals. Once there, we freeze and 

can't sting two passes together in the first stage of the knockout matches; having scrapped through the group stages.

This of course is if Allardyce is at the helm, or Coco the clown!

The fact that Allerdyce and the others listed were considered for the job is as much my point as anything. We, through the influx of overseas players have snookered ourselves as a footballing country regarding the national team. We have very little English talent coming through in comparison. 

All the best managers and pretty much all the best players playing in the Premier League can't be selected due to them not being English, assuming the desire for an English manager. Obviously this isn't  Sam's fault, and yes he might give them a kick up the backside, because if anything Dinosaurs don't take any nonsense. 

In case there was any doubt as to his pedigree for the job:

As a manager

Limerick

Notts County

Bolton Wanderers

West Ham United

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I expect I'm alone, but anyway...it's a sad state for English football when the answer is Sam Allerdyce.

It depend on what is the question. If the question is who can we find who will produce a well organised team that will over achieve, then Sam is the answer. His teams may not be very exciting to watch but they can't be any worse than the "exciting" attacking teams produced by Roy Hodgson, Fabio Cappelo, Steve (I speak Dutch) McClaren, Sven etc. The last good manger England had was Terry Venables, and that was 20 years ago. 

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It depend on what is the question. If the question is who can we find who will produce a well organised team that will over achieve, then Sam is the answer. His teams may not be very exciting to watch but they can't be any worse than the "exciting" attacking teams produced by Roy Hodgson, Fabio Cappelo, Steve (I speak Dutch) McClaren, Sven etc. The last good manger England had was Terry Venables, and that was 20 years ago. 

Put amongst that list he doesn't seem so out of place, God we've had some awful managers haven't we. Maybe that's my problem, still living in the Veneables years, liked watching England then. 

I wouldn't have picked Sam personally, but I will watch on with fascination to see what he changes and who he calls up for his first squad of players. 

Hopefully, he'll have the balls to pick the players without the star names, the ones who will fight and scrap, the guys who will dig deep in the trenches, the players who will form a hard-working team and battle for every ball.

Dare I say it's time for top Championship players to be called into the fold???

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I wouldn't have picked Sam personally, but I will watch on with fascination to see what he changes and who he calls up for his first squad of players. 

Hopefully, he'll have the balls to pick the players without the star names, the ones who will fight and scrap, the guys who will dig deep in the trenches, the players who will form a hard-working team and battle for every ball.

Dare I say it's time for top Championship players to be called into the fold???

I think he will TBH. More Mark Nobles and less Raheem Sterlings. I also think that if he`d been in charge for France he may well have taken Andre Gray or someone like that and, more importantly, played them.

What surprises me is the speed of the appointment. Euro 2016 was one of the biggest disasters in a long line of disasters for the England football team. Everyone talks about "root and branch" reviews and then we appoint a new man within a month.

I don't have a problem with Allardyce but then we have appointed plenty of well regarded coaches in the past with no tangible success or even improvement. The problems in the English game run far deeper than whoever the next guy is to drink from the poisoned chalice!

1 hour ago, RedM said:

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I guess I personally don't much like him. I maybe totally wrong but he seems a bit of a dinosaur, very old school. Not going to be up to speed with the modern game or dealing with the people in it, other managers and players. Yes I know he is a club manager now, but what success or pressure has he had compared to bring the England manager.

Put it this way, if 6 months ago I had heard we (Bristol City)were looking at Big Sam I wouldn't have been impressed.

Can't agree. He's won two divisions, including one in his first season as a manager. He took Bolton and West Ham into the Premier League from the level below and turned them both into top ten teams and took Bolton into Europe. Where are they now?!

He's just what we need. He won't pander to the pampered, egotistical, show pony zillionaires who tiptoe through tournaments trying not to ruin their hair styles. He's a proper manager who will get players to run through brick walls for their country.

He'll pick players in form, not the cosy, safe, favourites like Wilshere. How Mark Nolan, Drinkwater and Townsend didn't make the Euro 2016 squad I'll never know. Utter disgrace to take a player who'd only played in one game last season and then leave those three at home when they'd given everything all season for different causes.

Sam deserves his chance. He's usually called upon when a team needs to avoid relegation or get back to the top. He deserves a proper go at managing the best players rather than being a firefighter on a budget.

No way is he out of touch as you say, he's been a manager pretty much every season since 1991.

Good luck Sam....make us proud. Chew yer gum, stamp yer feet, wave yer arms and yell and shout at the superstars until they realise they are allowed to break sweat and show us they can really try....

20 minutes ago, RedM said:

The fact that Allerdyce and the others listed were considered for the job is as much my point as anything. We, through the influx of overseas players have snookered ourselves as a footballing country regarding the national team. We have very little English talent coming through in comparison. 

All the best managers and pretty much all the best players playing in the Premier League can't be selected due to them not being English, assuming the desire for an English manager. Obviously this isn't  Sam's fault, and yes he might give them a kick up the backside, because if anything Dinosaurs don't take any nonsense. 

No they don't, but then he isn't a dinosaur.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think he will TBH. More Mark Nobles and less Raheem Sterlings. I also think that if he`d been in charge for France he may well have taken Andre Gray or someone like that and, more importantly, played them.

I hope not. Andre Gray is not as good as Kane, Vardy or Sturridge so why would you do that?

It might be fashionable to suggest unfashionable names, but picking Championship players ahead of top scorers in the Premier League is not the way forward.

Probably the best possible appointment.  And, despite the allegations of him being a dinosaur, one of the first managers to pioneer data and sports science in this country.  His football isn't pretty but he's a progressive manager.

I do sympathise with the reservations and it shows the dearth of available options but, at the same time, it's very clear Klinsmann was not the answer.  The prevailing view in Germany is that Low was the brains behind the success of the team and plenty in the US were willing him to quit and join us.  There is nothing in Klinsmann's CV or background to suggest he was going to turn anything around.  There's a large part of me that wanted Pellegrini but, him aside, I don't see any realistic options that were better than Allardyce. 

6 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

No they don't, but then he isn't a dinosaur.

Indeed.  Whatever you think of Allardyce, anyone who thinks he's a dinosaur ignores the views of pretty much everyone who's ever worked with him or knows how he works at clubs.  He's big on data, science, psychology and sports nutrition and studies and adopts technological developments in the game to gain an edge.  Just because he's a big, gruff northener does not make him a dinosaur. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed.  Whatever you think of Allardyce, anyone who thinks he's a dinosaur ignores the views of pretty much everyone who's ever worked with him or knows how he works at clubs.  He's big on data, science, psychology and sports nutrition and studies and adopts technological developments in the game to gain an edge.  Just because he's a big, gruff northener does not make him a dinosaur. 

To quote someone far better placed to comment than any of us (probably), a Bolton fan on 5 live earlier text in to say "When Sam had good players like Okocha and Djorkaeff in the side we played some really nice stuff".

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Can't agree. He's won two divisions, including one in his first season as a manager. He took Bolton and West Ham into the Premier League from the level below and turned them both into top ten teams and took Bolton into Europe. Where are they now?!

He's just what we need. He won't pander to the pampered, egotistical, show pony zillionaires who tiptoe through tournaments trying not to ruin their hair styles. He's a proper manager who will get players to run through brick walls for their country.

He'll pick players in form, not the cosy, safe, favourites like Wilshere. How Mark Nolan, Drinkwater and Townsend didn't make the Euro 2016 squad I'll never know. Utter disgrace to take a player who'd only played in one game last season and then leave those three at home when they'd given everything all season for different causes.

Sam deserves his chance. He's usually called upon when a team needs to avoid relegation or get back to the top. He deserves a proper go at managing the best players rather than being a firefighter on a budget.

No way is he out of touch as you say, he's been a manager pretty much every season since 1991.

Good luck Sam....make us proud. Chew yer gum, stamp yer feet, wave yer arms and yell and shout at the superstars until they realise they are allowed to break sweat and show us they can really try....

Well said that man, If you're not actually Sam Allardyce, I want you as his assistant!

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I hope not. Andre Gray is not as good as Kane, Vardy or Sturridge so why would you do that?

It might be fashionable to suggest unfashionable names, but picking Championship players ahead of top scorers in the Premier League is not the way forward.

It is if they offer something different. Better than taking 3 very similar strikers, then playing 1 or 2 out of position because they're 'names' and leaving the 'other club in the bag' on the bench. 

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Well said that man, If you're not actually Sam Allardyce, I want you as his assistant!

I'm resigning from my job tomorrow and stalking Sam until he takes me on! I was actually player-manager of a local team for twelve seasons and we never got relegated! I'm perfect for his right hand man! Coming through...!

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

It is if they offer something different. Better than taking 3 very similar strikers, then playing 1 or 2 out of position because they're 'names' and leaving the 'other club in the bag' on the bench. 

Fair enough, I agree with that, but I don't think Andre Gray in particular offers anything especially different. Andy Carroll would have done, and finished the season in form. Kane and Vardy were also in form all season so their selection was the right one. But they all fell apart when it mattered, and that's the biggest problem Allardyce has to resolve - finding a formation that works to get the best out of the best players, and getting the best out of them when it matters.

Just like our crap players coming through means crap managers, a manager who has had a 22% win rate in the Premiership and never won a major trophy. What a poo footballing nation we truly have become, what the **** happened? where did it all go wrong?

Would be interesting to see what his "brief" involves, as it's said to be a wider brief than previous managers. He needs to be allowed to dictate a plan to the FA to help develop the young English players.

Something dramatic needs to happen. A route for English players into the first team of big clubs needs to develop, so how about making it so English players are allowed to play in the League Cup? Or perhaps 15/18 players in the squad for League Cup games. (Just so Kodjia can play ;) )

I'd love to see a team develop for England. Therefore, I'd like to see a squad of 30 players called up at the start of each season from which the match squads get picked. It allows for team spirit to be developed and allows for tactics to revolve around the players available. There could perhaps be one or two "wild card" spots available for any new players that break through, but the core 30 would be the basis of the national team. That's something I could see Sam introducing.

Good luck Sam, you'll need it!

Archived