IGNORED

Big Sam gets the England Job

Nomad

28 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It's easy to forget just how much of a shambles Sunderland have been at the back for the past few years, even when they were completing great escapes under old managers.

They only lost five games in the last half of the season and conceded 25 goals; that's only nine more than Man City if you extrapolate it over a whole season.

Good stats! I don't expect us to roll over or be as shoddy at the back under Sam like we did with Roy at the Euros.

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You noticed Lowe's habit just as many other have. The  England manager chewing gum will get noticed and send out the ring image.

Hopefully the FA will tell him not to do it.

I actually thought you were joking to start with, but you are serious, aren't you..?! 

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You noticed Lowe's habit just as many other have. The  England manager chewing gum will get noticed and send out the ring image.

Hopefully the FA will tell him not to do it.

Allardyce chewing gum will result in absolutely zero comment from the rest of the world. 

Chewing gum is perfectly normal and it is not spitting or shitting in the technical area. 

4 minutes ago, redfred said:

Allardyce chewing gum will result in absolutely zero comment from the rest of the world. 

Chewing gum is perfectly normal and it is not spitting or shitting in the technical area. 

He can blow snot bubbles out of his Arse for all I care, as long as we can perform in a major tournament. 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He can blow snot bubbles out of his Arse for all I care, as long as we can perform in a major tournament. 

If he was doing that then I fear illness would rule him out of managing at a major tournament, but I get the jist....!

2 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Is that so? https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jun/02/jurgen-klinsmann-usa-coach-copa-america

The media? How about you give people some responsibility for their own actions :facepalm:

Eh? You seem to be replying to a post that I didn't put on here even though it says I did?!!!

I didn't post this line: "If, and it's a big if, Klinsmann was interested in the job, then the FA have missed a trick. Did well with the USA, and couldn't give a crap if he's German or not."

It was posted by @Taz - see Post 74 on this thread...

What's happened there?!!

13 hours ago, taxidog said:

I went to every one of the Euro qualifiers, home and away, the 3 pre Euro friendlies, and to all the games in France, ending with the shambles against Iceland in Nice. We were never that great in the qualifiers, but got through against inferior/poor opposition with an average team showing occasional flashes of brilliance. As usual, that mistakenly inflated everyones hopes and expectations. Hodgson made a huge balls up in showing loyalty to players who had done quite well in the qualifiers, like Wilshire, Sterling and Henderson and taking them to France despite having been injured for the weeks (and months in Wilshire's case) prior to the Euros. He ignored players in form, like Noble, Defoe, Carroll, Drinkwater and Townsend (who did more in the last 10 mins in the friendly at Sunderland than Sterling did in the entire time in France).He then played confusing formations, could'nt even organise a proper defence, and kept picking players like Kane, and especially Sterling, who were playing abysmally. A bunch of overpaid prima donnas, and no team spirit/will to win (unlike Wales, though I hate to say it). Seeing Rooney lounging on a luxury yacht and Sterling showing off pics of his new mansion a couple of days after the Iceland game, showed typical insensitivity to fans like us who were still hurting really badly after the result and making our way slowly and dejectedly home.

The paragraph above illustrates why I therefore welcome Sam - the best available from admittedly a very small list of Englishmen, but who will have massive passion for the job, the most since Venables. We all know he will have to pick from an ever diminishing pool of English talent due to the unbelievable level (far too high) of foreign players in the Premier League, but at least he will organise the defence properly, pick in form players, bond the team, and most importantly let the players know in no uncertain terms that they had better show unstinting passion in representing England or **** off, you're not wanted. No-one will be safe from Sam's axe if they dont perform, which will be very refreshing - so Hart, Kane, Sterling, Cahill, Wilshire,...- it's a long list, watch out !! 

Ive just heard today Ive got my ticket for the first World Cup qualifier away to Slovakia in Sept - cant wait !! Not so sure about going to Russia in 2018 though !!

PS for those who want a foreign manager - apparently none on the interested list was prepared to accept 'less than £5M a year' - considering they're all multi millionaires, the greed element which is ruining our game, is sickening - so for once the FA has done the right thing to tell them to get lost. We've been down the Erikson/Capello route and been fleeced already.

Serious question:  does anyone really give a flying **** about where Rooney goes for his holiday or what the waste of space that is Sterling does with his money?  With Rooney, was he supposed to have a holiday planned with reference to a sliding scale of appropriateness v tournament success?  Maybe a caravan in Abersoch for a group exit, up to a yacht in the Med for a final win.

I too had the misfortune of being at the Iceland game and to be perfectly honest I was over the entire shit-fest in the time it took me to leave my seat and make it to the exit stairs.

Fat Sam will be a good appointment I believe. Club honors isnt a guarantee of England success (sven/capello).

The trouble with England is we play our best players and not our best team. I think we will be much better organised in the future. 

Also Chris Coleman did relatively nothing in club football and took a relatively average Welsh squad to the semi's. 

It's got to be better than a foreign manager with grand plans trying to roll shite in glitter. 

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Allardyce projects an appearance of confidence, certainty, competence and control. Unlike the last poor bloke. Forgetting style for the time being, this strikes me as what this team badly needs, strong, certain leadership. 

I'm not questioning Big Sam's managerial talent, I'm questioning his international image as England's top man.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

However much we don't want to accept it we are a Sunderland of International football.

Our record in all major tournaments over the last 75 years ( except for 3 tournaments) proves it.

A very average International football team now has a manager to fit, end of!

Slightly harsh - and why 'except for 3 tournaments' (we've been semi finalists 4 times)? Do these exceptions not count? Over the 75 years you quote we've reached the world cup quarter finals or beyond eight times - not many countries can match that (Spain, for example, have reached the world cup quarters or beyond five times over the same period).

Winners -- 1966.

Semi finalists - 1968, 1990, 1996.

Quarter finalists - 1954, 1962, 1970, 1986, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2012.

OK, not on a par with Brazil, Germany or Italy, but not as terrible a record as some would have you believe.

EDIT: the list above is World Cup plus Euros.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm not questioning Big Sam's managerial talent, I'm questioning his international image as England's top man.

Who gives a monkeys about his image!!! another odd thing to say.

The Germans have a ball and arse sniffing world cup winning coach, I'm sure most of Europe don't care!!!

17 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Terrible. Get the best man for the job, not just the only English bloke left.

the FA had an opportunity to change the way they do things and appoint someone to do things differently but no they revert to type and pick a same old same old manager.

jurgen Klinsman was/is the best man for the job

It defeats the object of international football if you bring foreign managers into play. The clue is in the name - interNATIONAL. The best one country can produce versus the best another country can produce. If the best we can produce is Steve McClaren or Kevin Keegan, so be it.

Also, one of the reasons I like international football is that you can't buy success. You've got to work with what you've got. Poor countries (e.g. Ivory Coast) can beat rich countries. If rich countries can spend millions on bringing in foreigners - to me that defeats the object.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You don't work for the FA do you?

Suppose you had the same view on Clough. He wasn't an FA image fit either. 

Bravo the FA. Belatedly, Sam's appointment indicates that even they now accept a man of 'substance not froth' is required for the national coach role.

I'd rather all the players to chew gum rather than rolling up with headphones and Sasson handbags... the bunch of wasters. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Personally I really dislike seeing managers chewing gum. Coleman, Ferguson and Allardyce to name just three. It looks awful and if Allardyce carries on doing it as England manager we'll be mocked throughout Europe.......:facepalm:

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think your preferences for how a manager conducts himself pitchside are getting in the way. Did you see the Iceland game? Do you not think avoiding omnishambles performances like that will be the first and best way of avoiding derision "throughout Europe." You mention Coleman there, what are they saying around Europe about him: "he managed minnows Wales to a semi final" or "he chews gum, what a fool"?

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Serious question:  does anyone really give a flying **** about where Rooney goes for his holiday or what the waste of space that is Sterling does with his money?  With Rooney, was he supposed to have a holiday planned with reference to a sliding scale of appropriateness v tournament success?  Maybe a caravan in Abersoch for a group exit, up to a yacht in the Med for a final win.

I too had the misfortune of being at the Iceland game and to be perfectly honest I was over the entire shit-fest in the time it took me to leave my seat and make it to the exit stairs.

I'm the same.  I couldn't give a stuff what Rooney et al get up to. I can't connect with todays footballers.  The old England sides you could connect with; the likes of Pearce, Gascoigne etc.  Lost almost all interest in England after Euro 2000 if I'm being honest.  That was when it became more about the players and not about England or the fans.  Hopefully Allardyce can make me reconnect with England - I like him - think he has something about him and will given the players the kick up the behind they so dearly need. 

4 hours ago, sodburyred said:

On a side note he also has family who live in Chipping Sodbury and has been semi regularly seen in the high street. Be nice to say I've drank in the same pub as the England manager.

My best mate lives in Sodbury, and he told me that he'd had a beer with SA down there one Sunday night, when he was visiting his sister in law (think that was the relation), was never sure if I believed him or not.....now I do!

Also read during Euro 2016 that one of the Welsh lads had grandparents in CS too?? Andy King, perhaps?

19 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

My best mate lives in Sodbury, and he told me that he'd had a beer with SA down there one Sunday night, when he was visiting his sister in law (think that was the relation), was never sure if I believed him or not.....now I do!

Also read during Euro 2016 that one of the Welsh lads had grandparents in CS too?? Andy King, perhaps?

Definitely true. My ex lived out that way and her & her dad said years ago that he was a fairly regular visitor around the area. 

Shoukd be even more regular now that he's only working part time..!

Not sure what to believe at the moment but on Talksport today they reported that Sam said during his interview that he'd ban mobile phones from the dressing room - and if Rooney walked in talking on his phone it would go in the bin.

As I said, dunno what's true or not but I like to think he did say that! I'm fed up of the zillionaires being filmed walking off the coach with big ear phones on or jabbering into phones. It's their place of work and an international team dressing room should be a serious place where they seriously focus on the job in hand.

Terry Butcher, Tony Adams and Stu Pearce were renowned for whipping the guys up into a pre match frenzy so they were ready, really ready for the battle ahead. In the Wembley home dressing room Pearce would pace up and down, looking all the players in the face yelling 'This is our turf, our f-----g turf, no-one comes here and takes the piss..'

Can you imagine Sterling squeaking out a battle cry like that?!

The way the current squad prance into the stadia listening to music with diamond studs in their ears (even though they know they can't wear them during the game) is just pathetic.

I just hope Talksport was right today and Sam fires many rockets up many pampered asses....I'm looking forward to the new discipline...

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not sure what to believe at the moment but on Talksport today they reported that Sam said during his interview that he'd ban mobile phones from the dressing room - and if Rooney walked in talking on his phone it would go in the bin.

As I said, dunno what's true or not but I like to think he did say that! I'm fed up of the zillionaires being filmed walking off the coach with big ear phones on or jabbering into phones. It's their place of work and an international team dressing room should be a serious place where they seriously focus on the job in hand.

Terry Butcher, Tony Adams and Stu Pearce were renowned for whipping the guys up into a pre match frenzy so they were ready, really ready for the battle ahead. In the Wembley home dressing room Pearce would pace up and down, looking all the players in the face yelling 'This is our turf, our f-----g turf, no-one comes here and takes the piss..'

Can you imagine Sterling squeaking out a battle cry like that?!

The way the current squad prance into the stadia listening to music with diamond studs in their ears (even though they know they can't wear them during the game) is just pathetic.

I just hope Talksport was right today and Sam fires many rockets up many pampered asses....I'm looking forward to the new discipline...

The Rooney/mobile phone scenario is in Allardyce's book and it relates to a question asked by the FA selection panel in 2006, when he vied with the role with Steve McLaren, rather than something he's said this week.

He did say it though.

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If he could do that he'd be appearing at the Palladium, not Wembley!

9 minutes ago, redfred said:

The Rooney/mobile phone scenario is in Allardyce's book and it relates to a question asked by the FA selection panel in 2006, when he vied with the role with Steve McLaren, rather than something he's said this week.

He did say it though.

Ah, cheers for clarifying! I was driving so not listening properly to the radio.

Cheers mate

23 hours ago, Robbored said:

Apart from Coleman - a Brit , what other international mangers do you see chewing gum?  :dunno:

Nuff said.....

Sir Alex Ferguson used to do it all the time, I know he wasn't an international maanger but is a lot more well known and well respected than any.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Sir Alex Ferguson used to do it all the time, I know he wasn't an international maanger but is a lot more well known and well respected than any.

Think he stepped in to manage Scotland immediately after Jock Stein's death.

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

Nice to see you ignore my point about Fergie chewing gum after banging on about it for 4 posts....

Not ignoring your point at all. I think chewing gum whilst being filmed is disgusting. Those managers that chew gum do it because it helps calm them during a stressful game and if helps then so be it but if the England manager does it's even more disgusting. It makes them look like thugs.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not ignoring your point at all. I think chewing gum whilst being filmed is disgusting. Those managers that chew gum do it because it helps calm them during a stressful game and if helps then so be it but if the England manager does it's even more disgusting. It makes them look like thugs.

No chewing gum at the bowling club?

Archived