IGNORED

Oh for Yesterday

Wonderful scenes. Imo just so much better than following football today. It's purely my love for City that holds any interest in attending modern football. I just don't see anything exciting about going to a modern football game.

I'd have to disagree that it's uninteresting. Yeah modern football has it's Downsides but then you get the excitement that comes with Leicester winning the league, Wales getting to the semifinals in the euros, FA cup giant killings and many more. But then I'm only 31 so I'm not really able to comment on the older era of football.

10 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Moments like Boro at home and Fuhlam keep me going. They're worth all the dullness that modern football brings.

Yeah they do. You can forget an awful lot of mediocrity after moments like that. Strangely, Charlton at home as well - it`s all emotion whether it`s bad or good. If you react like you always have to moments like those, you`re still in love with the game I reckon.

Last season was by far my favourite ever season watching city. The pure despair that slowly turned around to unbridled joy. Kodjia's first season with us who for me is the best striker I've seen play for us (I'm only 20), Tomlin arriving on loan and completely blowing my mind as to what he can do with a ball. Reid finally getting his long deserved chance and shining. I'm well excited for next season with our new signings. Well excited. 

36 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Lee Tomlins is exciting at times. Going to football isn't

How can it be, when it's not new and novel to you, like it was when you were 18-25? What do you do now that you have been doing as long as going to football, that retains that original "excitement"?

43 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Moments like Boro at home and Fuhlam keep me going. They're worth all the dullness that modern football brings.

It's all about "moments" and those were two right up there outside of promotion seasons and heroic cup exploits. 

And it was never as wonderful 30 years ago as we like to think it was now. If it had been, the crowds would not have been at record lows.

I would tend to disagree with the emphasis you place on new as opposed to exciting.  Maybe it's the enjoyment factor that would better define my feelings.  Having been lucky enough to attend many different top flights games the main feeling I felt was boredom. 

I would have loved to have been on either terrace of those semi finals. I have been lucky enough to attend two semi finals at Wembley in recent times and I was bored by both the occasion and the atmosphere.

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I would have loved to have been on either terrace of those semi finals. I have been lucky enough to attend two semi finals at Wembley in recent times and I was bored by both the occasion and the atmosphere.

Is that because you were a neutral? 

I went with a friend to St Mary's to watch Southampton v Chelsea a couple of years ago. A decent match and Saints won, but I found it boring because I didn't care who won (even though I used to go and watch Saints in early 90s with her (and it was good then)), plus we were sat down the side and didn't have the same excitement as sitting behind the goal…

11 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I would tend to disagree with the emphasis you place on new as opposed to exciting.  Maybe it's the enjoyment factor that would better define my feelings.  Having been lucky enough to attend many different top flights games the main feeling I felt was boredom. 

You're only interested in City now, you said, so no surprise those games didn't grab you. Hopefully your two boys (I think you take your young uns now?) are excited by it all. When young people are no longer excited by live football then the game is in trouble again.

One thing that was different back then - 30 years ago - was the rarity of live football on tv. Going to a game was the best way of seeing 90 minutes football. Now, we are saturated with live football. If you want you can probably watch all Prem teams playing sterile friendlies around the globe weeks before the league begins. There's too much of it.

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Is that because you were a neutral? 

I went with a friend to St Mary's to watch Southampton v Chelsea a couple of years ago. A decent match and Saints won, but I found it boring because I didn't care who won (even though I used to go and watch Saints in early 90s with her (and it was good then)), plus we were sat down the side and didn't have the same excitement as sitting behind the goal…

I would have happily been a neutral in with those Everton fans at Highbury in 84. I bet I wouldn't have been bored.

6 hours ago, 054123 said:

Wonderful scenes. Imo just so much better than following football today. It's purely my love for City that holds any interest in attending modern football. I just don't see anything exciting about going to a modern football game.

Fantastic old footage, no holding in the box just honest direct fast flowing football without the slow tippy tappy rubbish of today 

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

As a 54 year old who has been going to games for 50 years, I don't understand why watching football in comparative comfort and safety should be a bad thing. I love it as much now as I ever have done.

Just find that boring. My house is lovely and comfy enough.

5 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Last season was by far my favourite ever season watching city. The pure despair that slowly turned around to unbridled joy. Kodjia's first season with us who for me is the best striker I've seen play for us (I'm only 20), Tomlin arriving on loan and completely blowing my mind as to what he can do with a ball. Reid finally getting his long deserved chance and shining. I'm well excited for next season with our new signings. Well excited. 

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.  You're not old enough to realise that for every 1 good City season you are doomed to see 10* grim ones.  Sorry.

PS Wasn't the promotion season better?

*Note to old'uns, I'm saying 10 years so he doesn't get too depressed.

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Fantastic old footage, no holding in the box just honest direct fast flowing football without the slow tippy tappy rubbish of today 

Especially bearing  in mind pretty rubbish pitches, heavy leather footballs, proper tackling and very little play acting rolling around and no one trying to get ash opposition player sent off.

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.  You're not old enough to realise that for every 1 good City season you are doomed to see 10* grim ones.  Sorry.

Unfortunately Chivs thinking about all the grim seasons really makes me feel my age!

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

If you mean the double winning season I'd say no. More enjoyable but certainly way less exciting because it was so obvious we were going to win. I much preferred last season. I think next season could be the best for a while though. 

7 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

You're only interested in City now, you said, so no surprise those games didn't grab you. Hopefully your two boys (I think you take your young uns now?) are excited by it all. When young people are no longer excited by live football then the game is in trouble again.

This. I find the majority of football that doesn't involve City quite boring. 

I don't regard that as losing any love for it, it's just that I don't really care when it's not involving City. 

Archived