IGNORED

Cheltenham & Bath City

coxyboy

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Ooh! That's quite exciting. My guess is Frankie's injury is reeally bad or he's now surplus to requirements. Lucic will become our 2nd keeper, maybe even progressing to No 1 in the next couple of seasons if he keeps getting better.

57 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Ooh! That's quite exciting. My guess is Frankie's injury is reeally bad or he's now surplus to requirements. Lucic will become our 2nd keeper, maybe even progressing to No 1 in the next couple of seasons if he keeps getting better.

Your guess is wrong it's been stated by the club numerous times that fielding will be out until October and that we wanted to sign another senior keeper so we can send o'leary out on loan

I though O'Dowda was excellent tonight. I genuinely believe we have bought a little gem in this boy. Shame he didn't score when he was presented with his chance but overall he has me excited. Once he has properly bedded in to the club, he could be as good as Tomlin for us going forward. Not taking anything away from the rest of the lads as I thought they were all solid bar the odd lapse. It was just that he stood out along with Tomlin. I also think Brownhill is a great addition, looks like he could be great for us.

1 hour ago, Luxo Jr. said:

So Magnusson looked a little shaky? I guess he'll need time to adapt, by the sound of things Flint will be a good partner for him, in terms of playing style and to help him get through the first few games.

He played much more solidly in the second half, some timely tackles, and a couple of wonderful 40 yard passes. I was impressed...obviously needs to get up to speed, but he was;t the only one. 

We've got the makings of a good young footballing side. Quietly impressive performance with O'Neil and Tomlin playing influential roles to steady things.

And the be fair to Cheltenham they played some nice stuff themselves.

Lucic was hard to judge. Didn't have much of a chance with either of our goals.

Just back now, few quick points

- We were a fair bit worse second half than we were first, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I said above that Hordur had a few shaky moments but settled as the half went on as he saw more of the ball/had to defend more. That continued second half and he had a good game - LJ and the rest of the team will have learnt far more about Hordur in that second half than they would have done had we won 6-0. Ultimately, both attack and defence got a work out, had to be a good thing. Flint excellent overall.

- The movement of O'Dowda, Brownhill & Tomlin (yes, really) will cause teams issues. Clearly Tomlin a fulcrum but drifts well and what tended to be Brownhill drifted in to fill the gap. 

- GON played it simple, barely noticed him there but knitted it well

- Kodjia didn't look pre or during match like he was upset if the body language experts want to say what that means re a move

- Kudos to the bloke who kept shouting dodgy keeper at the man we're looking to sign!

And finally, good to see Gary Johnson get conference manager of the year and get a sustained ovation from the city fans. I never thought GJ would make a conference manager...

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Lightening quick and looked exciting. Played well I thought

He also skinned there left back on two occasions which went down well. Funny thing is, I had some mates in the Cheltenham end and we were exchanging a bit of banter. Just after he came on, one of them text to ask what school he was from and did his parents know he wasn't in bed. A few minutes later I got a bloody hell, he is a bit good isn't he. Made me chuckle.

My Cheltenham supporting mates thought we looked far superior to Barnsley by the way which was good to hear.

28 minutes ago, AJgEEZa said:

He also skinned there left back on two occasions which went down well. Funny thing is, I had some mates in the Cheltenham end and we were exchanging a bit of banter. Just after he came on, one of them text to ask what school he was from and did his parents know he wasn't in bed. A few minutes later I got a bloody hell, he is a bit good isn't he. Made me chuckle.

My Cheltenham supporting mates thought we looked far superior to Barnsley by the way which was good to hear.

So did the Cheltenham players

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

Judging by that interview with GJ i wouldn't be surprised to see Vyner head to Whaddon Road on loan as well as one of our Keepers.

Great to see Tomlin and Jimmy linking up well again. Those two are building up proper understanding of their games now. The Iceman was all over the place in the first period but was a different player second. Oneil will turn out to be some signing and he's as fit as a flea. To me, Odowda and Brownhill are far too alike and I cant see them both starting. Flint gets better every game and looks the complete defender now and Pack has surely shut up all the doubters. As for Jonny Bale, he is going to be a hell of a player and already looks to have booked a place on the first team bench. Good workout tonight against a very physical Cheltenham team and onto Bath tomorrow.

For those who went what was the style of play? Last season was an element of whatever's needed to stay up, in La Manga we made sure everyone played rather than focus on formation and style, so this was the first game where you couldsay with any kind of certainty it's the style we will be taking on.

7 hours ago, AJgEEZa said:

I though O'Dowda was excellent tonight. I genuinely believe we have bought a little gem in this boy. Shame he didn't score when he was presented with his chance but overall he has me excited. Once he has properly bedded in to the club, he could be as good as Tomlin for us going forward. Not taking anything away from the rest of the lads as I thought they were all solid bar the odd lapse. It was just that he stood out along with Tomlin. I also think Brownhill is a great addition, looks like he could be great for us.

I thought he was much better in the 2nd half when he was switched to the left and started to take people on and get round the back of them. 

from last nights performance I think an average championship defender would not have to many problems against him on the right hand side as he's so one footed.

Tomlin for me just stood out far and above anyone, the blokes a genius and is probably our most exciting signing ever. O'dowda has a long way to go before he's anywhere near that level but he's certainly an exciting prospect 

7 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Lucic was hard to judge. Didn't have much of a chance with either of our goals.

Really? If that had been a league game I think we'd all be lambasting him for his role in both games. 

Far too slow for Kodjia's goal, that was his ball all day long. 

Should have caught Tomlin's shot for second goal, or at least parried it somewhere safe. 

Archived