IGNORED

Joe Allen to Stoke for 13 million quid.

reddogkev

....and Allen will probably trouser around 15% of that as a signing on fee....the world really has gone mad.

My Sis works for the NHS - ridiculously long hours for no money at all.

The balance in our world is all wrong - and just look at what the top baseball and basketball players earn in the US - some of their salaries dwarf those of the top footballers over here...

And to think the most Alan Hansen ever earned at Liverpool was £600 a week....and he was a top, top player...

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Hi Kev,

Don't think I can add much that hasn't already been covered by others, but I'd like to comment on your monetary value as a poster... Specifically as a thread starter. 

So many threads just contain the title and a four or five word sentence. Or even just a link to a newspaper article. That pisses me right off.

That's not your style. Your opening posts are often well considered and, dare I say, thought provoking. 

You've done enough to make it into my OTIB starting XI. 

Keep up the good work.

I'd rate you at the £10m+ mark as a poster. 

Presumably you'd expect 25% of that as your agents fee Fordy?

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....and Allen will probably trouser around 15% of that as a signing on fee....the world really has gone mad.

My Sis works for the NHS - ridiculously long hours for no money at all.

The balance in our world is all wrong - and just look at what the top baseball and basketball players earn in the US - some of their salaries dwarf those of the top footballers over here...

And to think the most Alan Hansen ever earned at Liverpool was £600 a week....and he was a top, top player...

They only earn it because they make it for their clubs.  That's why the equal prize money argument at Wimbledon was a nonsense: if you can sell the Men's Singles final tickets for, say, twice the price of the Women's Singles then the prize money should be double.  Simple as.

My issue with the Pogba money is that I think they are paying way too much and they will come a cropper with it; and I hope that they do otherwise the next one may be a 200 million Gareth Bale and whoever buys him going under if he gets injured.  There is such a thing as too much risk and IMHO Man Utd has just taken too much risk.

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Which is why I would like to see this particular one fail badly and it then looks to be a stupid amount to pay and will throw a bucket of cold water over these mental top end deals.

Pogba IIRC was £100m to buy him and £25m for his agent.  Now that is truly mental whereas the £13m for Allen is not unreasonable in the market.

So Pogba's agent is worth about double what an international, premier league player is worth.

That's what I can really mental!

The 'is he worth that much' conversation is a bit redundant in my opinion.  Everyone is worth what someone is willing to pay.  

Is Allen worry £13m?  Is Pogba worth £100m?  

Was Shearer worth £3.5m when TV revenue was lower?  

If you look at Sterling fee then Pogba is a steal.  If you look at Kante fee then he isn't.  

Ross McCormack and Jordan Rhodes fees make Allen look like a bargain.  Mayrez fee says he's way overpriced. 

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

The 'is he worth that much' conversation is a bit redundant in my opinion.  Everyone is worth what someone is willing to pay.  

Is Allen worry £13m?  Is Pogba worth £100m?  

Was Shearer worth £3.5m when TV revenue was lower?  

If you look at Sterling fee then Pogba is a steal.  If you look at Kante fee then he isn't.  

Ross McCormack and Jordan Rhodes fees make Allen look like a bargain.  Mayrez fee says he's way overpriced. 

Rubbish.

If you are mental enough to want to buy my empty crisp packet for twenty quid it doesn't actually make it worth twenty quid; it just means you're paying way too much.

9 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Rubbish.

If you are mental enough to want to buy my empty crisp packet for twenty quid it doesn't actually make it worth twenty quid; it just means you're paying way too much.

Give me an example of an overpriced player and chances are you'll be able to use another players fee to suggest it isn't true.  And we aren't talking about empty crisp packets.  

Give me an example of an overpriced player and chances are you'll be able to use another players fee to suggest it isn't true.  And we aren't talking about empty crisp packets.  

What?

You trot out the nonsense that a thing is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it and I have to justify myself?

As the Geordies would say : Haddaway and shite.

Balotelli's not worth what people have paid for him (ask Brendan Rodgers). Not worth the transfer fee, the signing on fee, the wages, the bonuses, the fee for repairing his kitchen, the fee for wiping his arse and doing his shopping, not worth any of it. Waste of space.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well that's mad too, of course. But Flint is worth £3million tops

To us he is, seeing as it would likely take somewhere in the region of £2m to replace him, don't get me wrong he's no where near the £8m some people say, but £3m we'd be taking a big gamble of being able to replace him and coming out on top financially.

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

To us he is, seeing as it would likely take somewhere in the region of £2m to replace him, don't get me wrong he's no where near the £8m some people say, but £3m we'd be taking a big gamble of being able to replace him and coming out on top financially.

That's why I wouldn't sell him ;-)

9 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well that's mad too, of course. But Flint is worth £3million tops

There would be a meltdown on here if Flint was sold for £3m.

Clubs in this division are now trying to assemble a squad that gets them into a division with a multi-billion pound TV deal. That has a knock-on effect on prices at this level and that's why I think we need to reconsider what we now think of as "value". The financial stakes have been raised.

2 hours ago, TheBigMan said:

Remember when half decent, established players were worth under a million?!? And people would gasp at 5 million pound fees over here? 

Simpler times, I tell ye. 

Carroll change everything. £30m for a head on a stick £30m for a striker with the turning circle of an island.

On 25 July 2016 at 22:27, Eddie Hitler said:

Rubbish.

But it does tho doesn't it! If @RedDave thinks that empty crisp packet's value to him is £20 then it's worth £20. May not make it right to everyone else but it's his money so the value is only relevant to him - and you if you're willing to sale your prize asset. 

It's the same as houses. People can put a 1 bed flat on the market for £1m and if 1 person is prepared to pay for it then it's worth £1m. If no one is prepared to pay it then it isn't worth it. 

Paintings get sold for tens of millions of pounds yet let's be honest, most could be painted by a 15 year old art student

Doesn't mean I think it's right but it is the way of life. 

1 hour ago, arrytheb said:

But it does tho doesn't it! If @RedDave thinks that empty crisp packet's value to him is £20 then it's worth £20. May not make it right to everyone else but it's his money so the value is only relevant to him - and you if you're willing to sale your prize asset. 

It's the same as houses. People can put a 1 bed flat on the market for £1m and if 1 person is prepared to pay for it then it's worth £1m. If no one is prepared to pay it then it isn't worth it. 

Paintings get sold for tens of millions of pounds yet let's be honest, most could be painted by a 15 year old art student

Doesn't mean I think it's right but it is the way of life. 

If you think "some nut being prepared to pay this" = "worth".

Houses is a good example.  Some mentalist happy to pay squillions for some rubbish flat when the market is at the top will have a big shock coming.

8 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If you think "some nut being prepared to pay this" = "worth".

Houses is a good example.  Some mentalist happy to pay squillions for some rubbish flat when the market is at the top will have a big shock coming.

'Worth' to that person or club in this case. If a club didn't think a player is 'worth' a value they won't pay it. If they pay it then they believe that player is worth it. Doesn't make it right but it's the way life is. 

Archived