IGNORED

Who would your new England captain be?

AshtonGreat

I wouldn't have one.  Really.

I'd name a group of senior players form which the captain would be all picked.  All those players would share the responsibility to support younger players and new caps, and represent the players to the management.  All those can be called upon for interviews.

Only when England have a game should a captain be named ahead of the fixture from this group.  This should be based on current form so we don't get the ridiculous scenario where the whole team shape and personnel are changed to accommodate a captain selected 2 years previously.  

27 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

They should sack off having a full time captain as it causes selection headaches if they drop out of form or have to be played out of position.  They should do like the Itaians and just give the armband to the player in the starting 11 with the most caps at that point in time

Agree. Wish I read yours before posting mine. Avoid a nailed on captain (and by implication starter) at all costs.

When you look back at England sides of the past there were probably 3, 4, 5 club captains in the eleven, so leaders all over the pitch.

Not the same anymore is it!

I agree with above, select a captain each time squad is announced.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When you look back at England sides of the past there were probably 3, 4, 5 club captains in the eleven, so leaders all over the pitch.

Yes, there doesn't seem to be leaders any more.  Maybe it's because players these days are mollycoddled from youth upwards or it is wider thing in society?

Kids don't seem to left to make mistakes and find their own way in life these days.  Going to sound like a old git now but when I grew up I was free to make my own decisions and had to learn from them and live by them.  To much 'protection' from all quarters stopping young people becoming their true selves.

Right, I need a lie down now after that rant.

15 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Gonna shout Joe Hart here. Bags of experience, happy to bark from the sticks. No scandals in the closet iirc.

Have we ever had an England goalie as captain?

Or as @Red Army Faction says, let the seniors do the democratic thing and vote.

I would not even have joe Hart in the starting 11!

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Wayne Rooney, our all time record goal scorer, and still the most influential outfield player we have that no one will appreciate until he is long retired.

Exactly my thoughts. His experience to the team at this point is invaluable. He also has great vision and the ability to still score a few

11 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Gonna shout Joe Hart here. Bags of experience, happy to bark from the sticks. No scandals in the closet iirc.

Have we ever had an England goalie as captain?

Or as @Red Army Faction says, let the seniors do the democratic thing and vote.

Mistake ridden which is undermining him as a playing choice,so no Capitan.agree that the Captain should be facing play(defender)and able to get a decent overview of how a game is shaping in front of him.would pick starting eleven always from here on before choosing a leader to avoid the rediculous notion of a player out of form,in the side and also captain.!!

15 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Ah. Didn't know Pete was captain. Learn summat new everyday as they say. Thanks pal.

Didn't actually know it myself, for some reason I thought Seaman had been captain for a few games and saw Shilton had been when I was double checking so that I didn't look a fool if I was wrong!

Seaman and Clemence were both captain 1 time

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Trouble is sometimes we struggle to 3,4,5 starters for the club sides let alone captains! 

( numbers exaggerated for shock value)

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Presuming Rooney will do the honourable thing and retire...

So the guy who was knocking off hookers while his wife was pregnant will know what it means to do the honourable thing?

I don't think we have any natural leaders other than Rooney and it must be a bit of a problem for Big Sam.

Giving the captaincy to Joe Hart would be a mistake because he can barely cope with the pressure now let alone leading a international team. It seems the bigger the game the more worked up he gets the more mistakes he makes.

Maybe in the future players like Stones and Alli might be captain material but they need to get their heads down for a few seasons and earn the right to lead us.

We've always seemed to have options for captains in the last decade or 2 but i can't think of one other than Rooney that i would be happy with and there is no guarantee he will be in future squads!

Archived