IGNORED

How do City strengthen from here?

tomhbcfc

Approximately £7m spent, 6 new signings yet there is still much work to be done!

I've expressed my thoughts in my latest blog post https://gaborstrousers.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/how-do-city-strengthen-from-here/ (Please no hate only constructive criticism I'm only 16 and do this for fun!!)

Also very interested to hear who you all think we should sign and what positions we require which is why I've made this a topic; so please even if you don't read the blog post leave a comment on where you think we need to strengthen and who we should sign!

Cheers!

34 minutes ago, tomhbcfc said:

Approximately £7m spent, 6 new signings yet there is still much work to be done!

I've expressed my thoughts in my latest blog post https://gaborstrousers.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/how-do-city-strengthen-from-here/ (Please no hate only constructive criticism I'm only 16 and do this for fun!!)

Also very interested to hear who you all think we should sign and what positions we require which is why I've made this a topic; so please even if you don't read the blog post leave a comment on where you think we need to strengthen and who we should sign!

Cheers!

As the saying goes ' if you can't stand the hate stay out of the kitchen ' .

We have signed a player we had on loan last season and we may be signing another.  We have replace our loan centre back with someone we don't know much about but looks less experienced.  We have signed some youngish players for squad depth and a winger who is highly rated but was not a permanent starter in 4th division Oxford's team last season, I believe. O'Neill is the only real strengthening we have done from the team which finished last season, unless the next couple of weeks bring some surprises.

I can understand why LJ says it will take three windows to seriously challenge at the top.

Fantastic blog post for a sixteen year old. I used to do a fair bit of writing when I was younger, and the only thing I can say is to keep at it, regardless of whether people read it or care about it. It's the only way to improve.

Anyway, I can't argue much with your logic. We've strengthened, but there's still a need for more if we're to be better than we were last season. I'm inclined to leave the goalkeeper position, because I think Max O'Leary should at least be given a chance should the worst happen. If we're not going to trust him then we should get rid, because he's helping no one on the bench.

Right-back is a key place that needs improving, and I agree with your selections. However, up front I'd opt for Stephane Sessegnon, who is now out of contract with West Brom. He's always had a good reputation as a player that sits behind a main striker, so I reckon he could be the ideal partner to bring more goals out of Kodjia. Another potential free option is David N'Gog, who spent last season in the French leagues, and is currently on trial in the Bundesliga. I reckon the potential of a return to England could be enough for us to land him, and again, he could be a great partner for Kodjia.

7 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

We have signed a player we had on loan last season and we may be signing another.  We have replace our loan centre back with someone we don't know much about but looks less experienced.  We have signed some youngish players for squad depth and a winger who is highly rated but was not a permanent starter in 4th division Oxford's team last season, I believe. O'Neill is the only real strengthening we have done from the team which finished last season, unless the next couple of weeks bring some surprises.

I can understand why LJ says it will take three windows to seriously challenge at the top.

Think you've hit the nail on the head, and reasons to not be over-optimistic.  Having said that, the side that ended the season were a top half side, form-wise.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think you've hit the nail on the head, and reasons to not be over-optimistic.  Having said that, the side that ended the season were a top half side, form-wise.

Oh I agree and don't want to seem negative, I think we have done some great business so far. But last summer put us a long way behind where we should be.

1 hour ago, tomhbcfc said:

Cheers!

For me, a striker is even more important than a right back.  If Kodjia has an injury or get tired after a run of games then we currently have nobody good enough to come in.  I can't really give names as I don't like to comment on people I haven't seen play.  

28 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Fantastic blog post for a sixteen year old. I used to do a fair bit of writing when I was younger, and the only thing I can say is to keep at it, regardless of whether people read it or care about it. It's the only way to improve.

Anyway, I can't argue much with your logic. We've strengthened, but there's still a need for more if we're to be better than we were last season. I'm inclined to leave the goalkeeper position, because I think Max O'Leary should at least be given a chance should the worst happen. If we're not going to trust him then we should get rid, because he's helping no one on the bench.

Right-back is a key place that needs improving, and I agree with your selections. However, up front I'd opt for Stephane Sessegnon, who is now out of contract with West Brom. He's always had a good reputation as a player that sits behind a main striker, so I reckon he could be the ideal partner to bring more goals out of Kodjia. Another potential free option is David N'Gog, who spent last season in the French leagues, and is currently on trial in the Bundesliga. I reckon the potential of a return to England could be enough for us to land him, and again, he could be a great partner for Kodjia.

Is this the same Ngog who ' played ' for Newcastle and became a figure of hate for his lack of application and talent before being ignominiously released from his contract ? 

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Is this the same Ngog who ' played ' for Newcastle and became a figure of hate for his lack of application and talent before being ignominiously released from his contract ? 

No, N'Gog was Liverpool and then Bolton.  Was a player of decent technical ability, who always looked a bit off of what was needed in the top flight.  Assuming his head is right you'd think he'd be tidy at our level.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, N'Gog was Liverpool and then Bolton.  Was a player of decent technical ability, who always looked a bit off of what was needed in the top flight.  Assuming his head is right you'd think he'd be tidy at our level.

Sorry I meant Bolton . The principle is the same .

I read their forum and he's one who did n't cover himself In glory .

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

Can you?

To me that sounds like a doctor saying that your condition will take three months to heal but it turns out you're healed in two.

Great blog post Tom. Interesting ideas. I'd say that we remain short of experience but have bought well this summer. I watched us last night and at Yeovil. O'Neil looks as good a buy as Wade Elliott was, reliable, bosses the game...Tomlin we know and he's looked to dictate play in both games. Flint has been impressive as has O'Donnell, although there were moments last night where their communication could be better. If there's a challenge I'd say that Brownhill, O'Dowda, and Magnusson are all young and inexperienced and likely to have inconsistent spells. I'd say the same about Joe and Bobby....so there's a question mark over their reliability for me...exciting as they are. We'll find out who can step up as the season progresses. We've got Korey coming back from injury and suspension, and Marlon Pack has looked impressive at times...even if he does occasionally give the ball away in poor positions. 

So I'd say that we're a little way away from a side we could expect to watch with confidence week in week out. Matthews would be a good addition, we need Frankie back, I'd expect to see Scott Golbourne on the left...and Kodjia needs competition up front. And it would be wonderful to see Freeman hit form...sad to say I fear that may never happen for us at this level.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Can you?

To me that sounds like a doctor saying that your condition will take three months to heal but it turns out you're healed in two.

Because it is taking us this window to broadly stand still and correct the error of last summer.  The January window rarely sees any significant restructuring transfers, with one or two exceptions it usually seems to be correcting any mistakes from the summer or dealing with weaknesses that have shown up; maybe it will be different this year as teams get used to the new rule on loans. That leaves next summer to do some serious strngthening work, hopefully after we have had a strong mid/upper mid table finish.  But who knows what the next few days will bring!

7 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Because it is taking us this window to broadly stand still and correct the error of last summer.  The January window rarely sees any significant restructuring transfers, with one or two exceptions it usually seems to be correcting any mistakes from the summer or dealing with weaknesses that have shown up; maybe it will be different this year as teams get used to the new rule on loans. That leaves next summer to do some serious strngthening work, hopefully after we have had a strong mid/upper mid table finish.  But who knows what the next few days will bring!

Should be interesting,apparently Sunderland are holding the door open and Matthews on his way-somewhere.if its here that just leaves a decent c/half and striker minimum to bolster the squad to an acceptable level..would like that c/half to know this division mind!

That is a well-written piece, though I'm not sure how much of it I agree with.

While I'd still not be at all surprised if Matthews was signed, I don't think we've seen the best of Luke Ayling at right back. He was, I believe, carrying an injury when Johnson arrived and subsequently went for treatment on it. When he returned at Blackburn (where Matthews himself was injured) he improved the team.

A striker is definitely a priority, either as backup to, or replacement for, Kodjia. Unless either McColsky or Garita is ready, which I don't think they are, we're left with only Wilbraham and Agard, who are decent options but you wouldn't want to rely on them for an extended period. I'm not sure about our chances of signing Lasse Vibe, though. Brentford may have sold a couple of players but they're aiming for top 6 and would price Vibe as we would Kodjia. We'd all be pretty disappointed if Kodjia went to Brentford. I'd hope that the club has its eye on one or two players who are closer to making it than the existing development players but who come from outside the Championship.

Goalkeeper is one of those positions I think you sometimes have to take a chance on. You can only play one at a time, it takes a really bad run of form to drop one usually and they're seldom injured. Another senior one would be good in that it would allow Lukic (if signed) and O'Leary to go out on loan, but even without another it's not a ridiculous gamble to keep one of those two as backup and hope O'Donnell doesn't pick up an injury or suspension before Fielding is back.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Sorry I meant Bolton . The principle is the same .

I read their forum and he's one who did n't cover himself In glory .

To be fair to him, everything was going to shit for Bolton around that time anyway. If you expect goals from him you're shit out of luck, but at this level I reckon he'd be a good support man for Kodjia.

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

I think you've missed my point.

Why do doctors tell you that your condition will take approx three weeks to heal but you're healed in two?

Because they try to avoid being wrong. If they told you that you'd heal in a week but two weeks later you're still suffering you can then say  to them "you told me that........." and that paints a poor picture of the medical profession.

LJ could be using the same tactic........

The hardest part of speculating is normally suggesting who the possibke transfers could be. I would've never suggested O'Neil, O'Dowda or Lucic. Tomlin and Matthews all were aware of and Brownhill was connected to LJ last season obviously. We certainly need 2 more strikers or just 1 that can hit double figures as Wilbs and Agard won't do that IMO. A backup CB experienced or promising and I think we're almost done. 

He could. Especially as Mark Ashton will have told him to "under promise and over deliver".  And I know it is a standard managerial cliché to say "it will take three windows", however for the reasons I said I can understand why it really could be true this time.

And your experience with doctors is obviously very different from mine!

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think you've missed my point.

Why do doctors tell you that your condition will take approx three weeks to heal but you're healed in two?

Because they try to avoid being wrong. If they told you that you'd heal in a week but two weeks later you're still suffering you can then say  to them "you told me that........." and that paints a poor picture of the medical profession.

LJ could be using the same tactic........

I believe this as known as doing a 'Scotty'.

Archived