IGNORED

Lee's team v Gary's team?

Jack Dawe

No, not the game this week. The 07/08 Wembley finalists, or this 16/17 team (assuming Kodjia stays) - which is better? (In theory. It's the summer, we have time to pointlessly dream about our auntie having testicles and being our uncle. It's either that or more fish puns and arguing about S82 and so on). Or, which ones of Lee's might have improved his dad's and maybe got us over the line?

I think Gary might've found room for Tomlin...and a 20 goal striker would've come in handy in 07/08......

No doubt in my mind the current squad is more individually talented, the 07/08 team was built around a combined team effort and grinding results, I'd rather have our defence of the 07/08 team and Basso, but I'd much rather have the midfield and attacking options of the current team.

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

No doubt in my mind the current squad is more individually talented, the 07/08 team was built around a combined team effort and grinding results, I'd rather have our defence of the 07/08 team and Basso, but I'd much rather have the midfield and attacking options of the current team.

Agree with @hodge. Though I wouldn't mind Bradley Orr and Scott Murray in their prime in the midfield and Louis with Flinty.

3 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Agree with @hodge. Though I wouldn't mind Bradley Orr and Scott Murray in their prime in the midfield and Louis with Flinty.

Agree Basso, Carey, Orr and Murray in their prime added to our squad would make it an incredible side.

5 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

if we had Kodjia in 07-08 we'd have got promotion for sure. 

Yep, had we splashed out on a goal scorer like Kodjia instead of Adebola I think we'd have gone up. Adebola was a good player in his own right, and was probably good to have around the team (like Wilbraham) but he was never going to be prolific enough to get us promoted.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, had we splashed out on a goal scorer like Kodjia instead of Adebola I think we'd have gone up. Adebola was a good player in his own right, and was probably good to have around the team (like Wilbraham) but he was never going to be prolific enough to get us promoted.

I love Dele, he was decent, scored some great goals, will never forget his one against Reading in front of 4500 odd of us, what a day! But yeah, he wasn't the answer, Lansdown kinda screwed up that January, probably should've gambled big then rather than in later seasons.

I guess fear of upsetting the team unity may have played a factor in just him and Carle (I think) joining. 

10 minutes ago, Kotsy said:

Basso
Orr
Carey
Fontaine
McAllister
Noble
Elliot
Carle
McIndoe
Adebola
Trundle

vs

ROD
Matthews
Flint
Magnusson
Golbourne
O'Dowda
O'Neil
Smith (K)
Bryan
Tomlin
Kodjia

Think the current team wins it by a country mile.

Basso, Orr, Carey and Marv would be good additions to our squad in their prime.

17 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I love Dele, he was decent, scored some great goals, will never forget his one against Reading in front of 4500 odd of us, what a day! But yeah, he wasn't the answer, Lansdown kinda screwed up that January, probably should've gambled big then rather than in later seasons.

I guess fear of upsetting the team unity may have played a factor in just him and Carle (I think) joining. 

He singlehandedly destroyed Wolves with his power and determination.

26 minutes ago, Kotsy said:

Basso
Orr
Carey
Fontaine
McAllister
Noble
Elliot
Carle
McIndoe
Adebola
Trundle

vs

ROD
Matthews
Flint
Magnusson
Golbourne
O'Dowda
O'Neil
Smith (K)
Bryan
Tomlin
Kodjia

Think the current team wins it by a country mile.

Not a chance.

28 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He gave one of the best Striker performances I have seen from a City player against Palace in the play off game at Selhurst. He absolutely battered the CB's. Sadly he was the complete opposite against Hull

Very difficult to tell about Magnusson, O'Dowda and arguably O'Neil, but on the whole I think we're much farther ahead now than we were back then. The only problem is, so is the rest of the division.

I'd say Basso and ROD are fairly similar, I'd bench Orr and I don't know enough about Magnusson to say whether I'd rather Carey or not. By the looks of things, probably Magnusson, but our side does need the experience we'd gain from LC.

Marv is the Korey of back then, but I think Korey is stronger, even when Marv was at his best. Tomlin the Trundle, and in my mind there's no doubt on who I'd sooner have. Kodjia is a no brainer, as is Flint and Bryan I think.

If I'm honest, I think only Basso would be a long term challenger for that team. Marv, Orr and Carey would make it on my bench. Don't think the rest would get close unfortunately. 

37 minutes ago, hodge said:

Agree Basso, Carey, Orr and Murray in their prime added to our squad would make it an incredible side.

Just Basso and Murray I reckon. The other two were triers but lacked any real quality. In fact Murrsy got found out at Reading and that suggests he wasn't as good a quality that some people think.

3 minutes ago, Ben4BCFC said:

Very difficult to tell about Magnusson, O'Dowda and arguably O'Neil, but on the whole I think we're much farther ahead now than we were back then. The only problem is, so is the rest of the division.

I'd say Basso and ROD are fairly similar, I'd bench Orr and I don't know enough about Magnusson to say whether I'd rather Carey or not. By the looks of things, probably Magnusson, but our side does need the experience we'd gain from LC.

Marv is the Korey of back then, but I think Korey is stronger, even when Marv was at his best. Tomlin the Trundle, and in my mind there's no doubt on who I'd sooner have. Kodjia is a no brainer, as is Flint and Bryan I think.

If I'm honest, I think only Basso would be a long term challenger for that team. Marv, Orr and Carey would make it on my bench. Don't think the rest would get close unfortunately. 

O'Donnell isn't fit to lace Basso's boots.

Orr is a million miles better than Ayling and Little. Carey and Flint would probably be my partnership at the back with Golbourne at left back.

if we had two sitting midfielders i'd have Smith and Marv.

3 in front of them would be Tomlin, Noble and Bryan

and Kodjia up top 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just Basso and Murray I reckon. The other two were triers but lacked any real quality. In fact Murrsy got found out at Reading and that suggests he wasn't as good a quality that some people think.

Murray wasn't in that team.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

He gave one of the best Striker performances I have seen from a City player against Palace in the play off game at Selhurst. He absolutely battered the CB's. Sadly he was the complete opposite against Hull

Yep, like I said, good player in his own right. I just don't think he was the prolific striker we needed at that time. It's simplistic to put it like this as there were obviously lots of other factors however - Hull bring in Fraizer Campbell - promotion. Us - Adebola - no promotion.

Sometimes that extra bit of quality and class makes the difference. I really liked Adebola, but felt that was a prime opportunity to bring in a goal scorer, not a targetman who wasn't that prolific.

On paper our current team looks better but on paper the 2012/13 team probably did as well.

It's all about getting players with the right character and motivating them to do well. We must hope that LJ has done the former and will do the latter.

11 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I think our team is better now but given that the championship is a much harder division now, I don't think we'll finish 4th. I'd take 5th though ;)

Any Barnsley fans browsing, please, feel free to disagree with the suggestion here that this division is "much harder" now. Before the season starts.

14 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

On paper our current team looks better but on paper the 2012/13 team probably did as well.

It's all about getting players with the right character and motivating them to do well. We must hope that LJ has done the former and will do the latter.

We can widen this out to the 12/13 team too, if you like Dan. The best keeper of the three, for sure. Albert would figure too. Skuse?!

Can we oldies widen the discussion to include the last team to get us into the top division?

Cashley

Sweeney

Drysdale

Merrick

Rodgers

Tainton

Mann

Gow

Whitehead

Ritchie

Cheesley

I am getting shivers down my spine just thinking about that team :) 

Archived