IGNORED

What do you remember ex City players for?

CyderInACan

1. Mike (Gibbo) Gibson with his pre-match 1,2,3 walk along the goalline before jumping up to and touching the crossbar.

2. John Galley, following a Glos Cup match at Eastville, refusing to sign autographs (Sorry fans, not tonight) when Stuart Taylor spent hours (Well, ages) signing for all and sundry.

3. Bert Tann. One sunny Sunday afternoon, a (BR supporting) friend of mine and I went collecting conkers in Frenchay common. Said friend got hit by a large branch and had blood pouring from his head. We were both too young to know what to do so rang frantically on the bell of the first house we could find, answered by a charming lady (Mrs Tann). Her husband (Mr Tann, obviously) drove us to the nearby hospital.

Luckily we didn't send him to Vietnam! 

Not players, but physios who are worth a mention. 

Les Bardsley because he ran like a duck with two broken legs. Buster Footman because he only wore tracksuit bottoms and short sleeved tee shirt regardless of the weather. 

21 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Andy May,

lived in Dursley while he was with City, I delivered a telly to his place and he made a cup of tea and put chocolate biscuits on a side plate for me!

Chocolate biscuits eh?You know the rules of biscuits for tradesman don't you?

Kieth Welch for letting me take a Mulligan after his very loud fart caused me to smash my tee shot OoBs.

Chris Garland , my first City hero. Then he came back to keep us up, I think he even played for expenses after 82.

John Bailey coming into Mangotsfield bar after the friendly, in his towel ! quick bottle and finish your shower.

Jackie, Leicester, great day out.

Bob Taylor, generally, but that Swansea game hat trick specially the volley was special.

TC's interview after the Freight Rover win Vs Bolton.

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Gerry Gow - invited him to come on my mate's stag weekend and he turned up! Still my fave City player ever, legend...

Not Peter Aitken then?

6 hours ago, Big C said:

Jimmy Mann putting one past Shilton from over 30 yards

More like 40 yards.

5 hours ago, BobbyC said:

I went to school with Keith (same class throughout) and he was only slightly better than me at football;)

He had a kidney given to him from his brother but he's still a miserable git according to his bro.

Merrywood?

New his first wife, believe she died at a young age.

KF was one of the first number 10s ala Tomlin and Jacki.

Ivan Sproule.

Not so much for the goal against Southampton ( his Forest Gump moment) but the one he got at Leicester - a real once in a career goal.

Mike Thresher for keeping Stanley Mathews under the cosh in the FA Cup at the Gate. For you young uns Stan was the Ronaldo of the day. Then in one close season saw him shovelling dirt out of a hole on a building site in Winterstoke Rd for his building firm that I think he was in partnership with his brother.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Chris Garland , my first City hero. Then he came back to keep us up, I think he even played for expenses after 82.

This player profile from the 76 man u programme always made me laugh.......Car-- vauxhall viva estate.

He is not in the best of health so i wish him well.

cg.JPG

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Whilst he was before my time, Mike Gibson used to be our postman when we were kids; the old man collared him early one morning and got hisaph. VeMateolite man and was bytoupees  all accoun ts a top goalie. 

He was also my postman the difference being that I did see him play at the tail end of his time at City. Oddly, Ray Cashley used to come around selling scratch cards for Weston super Mare FC and there was one week where Mike Gibson and later Ray Cashley both knocked on my door. All I needed was for John Shaw to turn up as a door to door salesman selling toupees to get the hat trick!

Lorenzo Pinaforedress for driving a hopeless Fiat Uno and nicking a parking space off Park Street that my mate was reversing into on a Saturday night.

Tommy Doherty for being on an all dayer in the Berkeley on Xmas Eve when he was 18 before he'd even played for the first team. Won't go far I thought. Ten years later captain, class act, and still to be seen in town with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

Marv for that season. Just owned the pitch. Wouldn't have got near the playoffs without him. Gave everything.

Tristan Plummer, Marvin Brown etc for being so-called wonderkids and England Under-16 stars that were meant to go on to be world class. Plummer I think was on the strength of some showboating at Ashton Gate caught on Youtube. One of them (Plummer again?) had a decent game when we lost 5-0 to Keegan's Newcastle and he allegedly tried to buy him after the match. No idea where they are now.

Jehad Muntasser and Mommainais Bokoto just because no one else will remember them and it's their only chance to get mentioned on OTIB. Muntasser was Libyan. Bokoto French but I think ended up playing on the Downs or coaching locally. Albano Correia for looking like an overweight Paulo Wanchope in raw and unpredictable style as much as anything, and for scoring in a pre-season friendly against Southampton and prompting me to bet on him as top scorer in the league. He had 20 first team minutes all season as a sub in the LDV.

Tony Butler for some of the most boring interviews ever committed to audio.

Emad Moateab - what a story that was. I think half the forum was watching some dodgy feed of Egyptian football the Sunday afternoon AFTER we announced him, and we all know what happened next. 100,000 Egyptians registered for the forum and commented all over Youtube too. Fanbase doubled over night. Then departed as quickly as they came. I'm sure the Arab Spring uprising could probably be traced back to this somewhere. Honourable mention to Alvaro Saborio and Soren Anderson and other exotic foreign players everyone has long since forgotten.

Aside from his legendary status as the King of the Stepover, the best £18k ever spent AND scorer of a tantalisingly close 99 goals for us, I'll also always remember bumping to him at the Bon Jovi gig at AG a few years ago, running over shouting "insert name" and enthusiastically shaking his hand. Top man on and off the pitch (aside from one particularly desperate career move, which I've forgiving him for)

You all know who I mean, no name required! #legend 

8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Aside from his legendary status as the King of the Stepover, the best £18k ever spent AND scorer of a tantalisingly close 99 goals for us, I'll also always remember bumping to him at the Bon Jovi gig at AG a few years ago, running over shouting "insert name" and enthusiastically shaking his hand. Top man on and off the pitch (aside from one particularly desperate career move, which I've forgiving him for)

It's also quite weird that we've only ever had four players who've scored over 100 goals for us...or is it weird?! Not sure! 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It's also quite weird that we've only ever had four players who've scored over 100 goals for us...or is it weird?! Not sure! 

Wasn`t there some dispute as to whether it was a hundred and not 99? Didn`t he get one in a Freight Rover game or something that wasn`t counted?

11 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Met Walshy at the Tropicana in Weston when it was a swimming pool just before he signed for Besiktas. What a gent he was. 

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It's pretty unlikely anyone will ever do it again isn't it? Walshy was SO close and yet so far!!

Norman Hunter - he scored a free kick from at least 30 yds out in the 70's but I remember he started his run up from our penalty box. In the Evening Post later I think he said he'd started that far back so that it would fool the opposition.

Archived