IGNORED

So when did you ' Pop your Cherry'?

RaspberryRed

Looking forward to the new season with much anticipation combined with the onset of middle age it got me thinking back to my first ever game watching the Mighty Reds

Bristol City vs St Mirren

0 - 2

1979/80

I was eight years old but clearly remember being in awe of the crowds of people around the ground, the brightness of the floodlights before being manoeuvred to the front of the old Williams Stand terracing and perched on a concrete block wall to watch the game.

I can't remember anything about the game whatsoever but was obviously bitten by the bug as am still coming back.

There's been some immense Highs & Lows in the subsequent 36 years from being huddled around a transistor radio by an old school portacabin to hear the news that the club had been saved from bankruptcy in 1982 (at the 11th hour) right up to the double winning season we have recently experienced

So what are your recollections of your first match?

COYR

Not a lot except a few vague recollections as I was only about 3-4 years old. It was against Palace (my Dad is a Palace nut) at The Gate circa 1963. Apparently I couldn't understand why they players ran the other way after half time !

I was about 14 can't remember her name though :blink: . First match 1982 old man took me down. Sat on the wall in the enclosure. Can't remember the team . Even though it was smaller crowds and we weren't very good I absolutely loved it . Still do but it's very different today obviously . Looking forward to Saturday the same as when I was a kid

At home V Newcastle in the League (Coca-Cola) Cup. Geordies won 5-0, the roar after their first goal made me jump out of my skin (I was 7). Numerous season tickets and away days followed ever since (City that is, not Newcastle). My Dad knew Martin Khul so we went in the players lounge after the game. Was awesome.

I didn't get to the game when they were last relegated, but really looking forward to playing them in a couple of weeks to taking my daughter who has also caught the bug since she experienced her first game (JPT Final). I managed to convince her she wanted a ST last season. No such luck this year though. :sad26:

Be nice to experience the new Williams Stand with her against the team I first saw play from the old stand, will try and get tickets as close to where I say that first ever time.

Sometime in the early 70's, know nothing about the game or date though. Dad was a lifetime City supporter (he was born, lived and worked in Ashton) and he just took me to games.. I did not really start enjoying football until I was about 9-10, all the previous years.. well I just did not have the attention span, the thing that I most looked forward to was we always bought a cone of chips on the way home after, and sometimes had a full fish and chips... those were simpler days though, i think I went through a couple of years owning just 2 pairs of jeans/cords that were just endlessly patched from pieces of old clothes.

16 minutes ago, COACH2 said:

1972 v Chelsea age 10, it was a testimonial match for Gordon Parr,  It was a night match and we went by coach from Clevedon the the excitement when we scored has had me hooked ever since.

I remember that one as well

1967 FA Cup 4th round v Southampton as a 12 years old.

Crowd about 38,000 - I had never seen so many people in one place  and still remember the feeling of excitement coming into the ground between the enclosure and East End for the first time, the smog of tobacco smoke hanging over the ground and being carried out of the ground at the end in the crush of people with my feet not touching the ground.

Saints forward line that day was Martin Chivers, Ron Davies and Terry Paine!

Having no decent City influences in my family, I supported Man Utd as a youngster and so my first ever game was a 1-1 draw with them at Ashton Gate in about 1977 that my grandad took me to as a 9 year old. I also saw a testimonial of some kind at eastville on a school trip and a random Reading match at Elm Park before I went to my first game under my own steam as a City fan in the 1983/84 season. I think it was against Reading and Steve Neville scored but can't remember too much else.

9 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

1976 versus Leeds, with fog so thick I couldn't see the ball for most of the game. I was squashed in at the front of the enclosure and I think there was a crowd of 30k+.

The game was abandoned at HT.

Lucky the thread heading isn't the 'first game you saw' !!

Taken by my dad and grandfather against Bolton in 1970 when I was 9. We were behind the goal at the open end. The ground was 3 sided at the time with the area cleared ready for the Dolman to be built, lots of people were watching for free from Nelson Mandela House. The match ended 2-2 and I remember Bobby Kellard scoring a penalty in front of us at the open end and England world cup winner Roger Hunt playing for Bolton. If only I could remember so much about some of the matches I saw last season. . ..

I remember the first games I saw after I was allowed to cross town on my own , well with mates. 1970-71 friendly Vs Go Ahead Deventer won 2-0 and the First game of the season  was Sunderland at home. In the middle-ish (slightly to the right as you looked at it) of the EE City won 4-3 and I could barely see a thing awesome. 

Archived