IGNORED

Sports Personality 2016

ChippenhamRed

Potentially Rose as an outside shout given the Ryder Cup is still to come, if he were to star in that in addition to his gold medal. Personally think Kenny should be in line for it though although Murray will probably get it again.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Potentially Rose as an outside shout given the Ryder Cup is still to come, if he were to star in that in addition to his gold medal. Personally think Kenny should be in line for it though although Murray will probably get it again.

I doubt it will be Murray.

The BBC won't want to risk everyone turning over to ITV during his acceptance speech.

:sleeping:

Uncle TFR

I think it ought to be Froome, I'd love it to be Cav, but I expect it to be Laura Trott. Fantastic Olympic record, bubbly and emotional in her interviews, most successful GB female Olympian ever and marrying Jason Kenny soon, which adds a bit more to her charisma and will no doubt keep her in the limelight.

On 17 August 2016 at 19:21, Red Right Hand said:

How much more does Chris Froome have to do? Just saying.

Team around him so critical though. If he wins La Vuelta with a much weaker team and having won TDF, fair enough, but when you've Poels, Landa, Nieve, Henao and Thomas helping you uphill and Stannard, Kiryienka and Rowe closing everything down on the flat, it's difficult to know how much is Froome and how much the team? Not to say he isn't a great cyclist, he clearly is, but Team Sky for team of the year might also be an option. Think Peaty and Whitlock both good shouts, as is Trott, but Murray seems a likely candidate, if he wins the US Open, he'll be pretty much nailed on.

10 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Team around him so critical though. If he wins La Vuelta with a much weaker team and having won TDF, fair enough, but when you've Poels, Landa, Nieve, Henao and Thomas helping you uphill and Stannard, Kiryienka and Rowe closing everything down on the flat, it's difficult to know how much is Froome and how much the team? Not to say he isn't a great cyclist, he clearly is, but Team Sky for team of the year might also be an option. Think Peaty and Whitlock both good shouts, as is Trott, but Murray seems a likely candidate, if he wins the US Open, he'll be pretty much nailed on.

I'd say the track cycling team should be favourites to win team of the year.

No denying that Froome has a great team, but he was miles in front of anyone else in the Tour this year and would be a worthy winner.

I'd love to see Farah or one of the cyclists - probably Trott or Kenny - win it. Will probably be Murray again though.

its really tough at the mo, Farah, Murray and Whitlock are my top three, probably would vote for the latter

BUT

Murray has a chance to possibly have the greatest year of any British athlete in history and if he pulls it off it would be obscene 

1. Win the US Open

2. Win the Davis Cup again (in the SF with a home tie vs. Argentina to come)

3. Become World No.1 (Currently around 1600 points behind Djokovic in the race but adding big points currently in Cincinnati which Djokovic has withdrawn from)

if he somehow pulls off 2/3 I know who I am voting for. Even making the final of the US Open he becomes just the 4th man in the open era to reach the final of all 4 slams in a season. The other three? Laver, Djokovic and Federer... The guy is simply phenomenal 

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

its really tough at the mo, Farah, Murray and Whitlock are my top three, probably would vote for the latter

BUT

Murray has a chance to possibly have the greatest year of any British athlete in history and if he pulls it off it would be obscene 

1. Win the US Open

2. Win the Davis Cup again (in the SF with a home tie vs. Argentina to come)

3. Become World No.1 (Currently around 1600 points behind Djokovic in the race but adding big points currently in Cincinnati which Djokovic has withdrawn from)

if he somehow pulls off 2/3 I know who I am voting for. Even making the final of the US Open he becomes just the 4th man in the open era to reach the final of all 4 slams in a season. The other three? Laver, Djokovic and Federer... The guy is simply phenomenal 

Might be my imagination but I swear I read an interview with him where he said he prefers playing on the astroturf style court at Flushing Meadows. Obv Wimbo is his favourite but FM suits his play better.

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 13:21, Septic Peg said:

Might be my imagination but I swear I read an interview with him where he said he prefers playing on the astroturf style court at Flushing Meadows. Obv Wimbo is his favourite but FM suits his play better.

Correct. Right now Murray is favourite to win the US for sure. In the final of the Cinncinati Masters today too.

Archived