IGNORED

Just back

Turner&Taylor

First of all Lansdown Stand was great and we'll surely have it completely open for much of the season.

Shame about the result but at least we were competitive unlike these types of games at start of last season. Shows how far we've come. Freeman seems to be starting to learn from last season. O'Neil is quality. Hordur settling in well. Matthew going off a blow as Little is not a Championship defender. Will be good to have Korey back.

Onwards to Villa who I think we will beat. COYR

4 minutes ago, Turner&Taylor said:

First of all Lansdown Stand was great and we'll surely have it completely open for much of the season.

Shame about the result but at least we were competitive unlike these types of games at start of last season. Shows how far we've come. Freeman seems to be starting to learn from last season. O'Neil is quality. Hordur settling in well. Matthew going off a blow as Little is not a Championship defender. Will be good to have Korey back.

Onwards to Villa who I think we will beat. COYR

Are you serious!!! Freeman was second worse player on the pitch behind Little... Bet you're really wowwed by his step over every time he gets the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Are you serious!!! Freeman was second worse player on the pitch behind Little... Bet you're really wowwed by his step over every time he gets the ball. 

Did ok 1st half on the left in front of Scott. Once LJ shifted him to the right his game fell apart. 

Very similar to Tuesday. A bright start again but undone by a bit of class. Probably had more in final third than Tues. 

We'll fair much better against other teams with lesser premier league class. At least we're competing. 

8 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

If he was why wasnt he taken off? He ran at players really well whether we wowwed or not it caused the newcastle defence problems everytime and he made some brilliant linking play at times with golbourne. 

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

If he was why wasnt he taken off? He ran at players really well whether we wowwed or not it caused the newcastle defence problems everytime and he made some brilliant linking play at times with golbourne. 

Hahahaha 

19 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

That's why I say STARTING to learn mate. Give him a break. He wasn't second worse and anyway why not get behind the lads instead of ranking them in order of how poor they are? :grr::facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I'm sorry I have to disagree. As good as Freeman's link and approach may have been, every final ball of his was absolutely shocking. At one point he and Tomlin were 10 yards and he played it 5 yards behind him and we lost possession. I don't know how he stayed in the pitch today, and I'm not usually one to knock him. 

Just now, ciderrider said:

I'm sorry I have to disagree. As good as Freeman's link and approach may have been, every final ball of his was absolutely shocking. At one point he and Tomlin were 10 yards and he played it 5 yards behind him and we lost possession. I don't know how he stayed in the pitch today, and I'm not usually one to knock him. 

Fair enough you disagree mate unlike some of the ******* know it all belters on here who think they know better than LJ. Unfortunately lacks the speed.

3 minutes ago, Thatwasclose said:

What game were you watching? In my view Freeman should never wear the shirt again. Couldn't put a decent cross in all last season and has carried on from where he left off. Today he was Atrocious to say the least.

Think we all know his level is league one but to say he should never where the shirt again is harsh mate

11 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Think we all know his level is league one but to say he should never where the shirt again is harsh mate

I'm sure we all risk getting the sack at our jobs if we don't perform so I'm applying same logic. I appreciate all his past efforts of course.

today was the last straw for me as I've been waiting for him to come good at this level, how many chances does one need?

Literally don't have a shred of hope he will come good so looks like it's going to be a long season!

21 minutes ago, Thatwasclose said:

I'm sure we all risk getting the sack at our jobs if we don't perform so I'm applying same logic. I appreciate all his past efforts of course.

today was the last straw for me as I've been waiting for him to come good at this level, how many chances does one need?

Literally don't have a shred of hope he will come good so looks like it's going to be a long season!

Surely you are not going with the logic that being involved in football is like any other job, if so LJ wouldn't be our manager

27 minutes ago, Thatwasclose said:

Itoday was the last straw for me as I've been waiting for him to come good at this level, how many chances does one need?

This season?

Call me sentimental but I'd say at least another.

1 hour ago, Thatwasclose said:

What game were you watching? In my view Freeman should never wear the shirt again. Couldn't put a decent cross in all last season and has carried on from where he left off. Today he was Atrocious to say the least.

I must've been watching a different game. Thought Freeman was really good for the most part and put in at least three good crosses in the first half. Did more than Tomlin and Abraham 

No point starting another thread, and don't have a report in me as most will have seen it, but today was more of what I've been saying all season especially our last three away games when people on here told me they were happy to just enjoy the result. 

Nope. Need to ask questions about the tactics. We've played multiple formations for multiple games now, several per game, am I the only one who wants to ask proper questions about what we're trying to do.

Like Norwich we were the better team today but let me recalibrate everyone's understanding straight away - Norwich are twice the team Newcastle are, especially going forward.

Arguably this was an easier team and a worse performance than Tuesday. Quick roll call of the good - O'Neil was out of this world, not often one player has to run central midfield single handed (why on earth did we not play Pack) but he put in more of a shift than I remember any City player doing, when he didn't really have any support in the middle to speak of. And Magnusson was class bar a few mistakes, both defending and getting it forward.

But otherwise it was more or the same. More compact supposedly attacking formation, seemingly on instructions not to get wide and continually trying to cut inside and thread a through ball. Same striker(s) totally isolated getting no real support. Only difference today was that our bouts of possession around the box seemed to result in low probability shots from stupid positions. So that's the game we are playing. Hoping to win with low probability threadneedle passes through the middle and long distance shots.

We are playing the most attacking side I can ever remember and generating fewer chances than I can ever remember. It has been the same every game this season, although everyone has told me to enjoy the result. Newcastle weren't that good and we didn't really do much to win it.

Finally the ref. Another parachute ref. My god the way this game wants to get the big teams back to where they belong. He would not have booked a Newcastle player if they assaulted his mum. The number 4 who abused him repeatedly with no booking when Tomlin got one for speaking back. Says it all.

Please god let this not be an emperors new clothes moment but LJs tactics. We need to sort them out.

16 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I must've been watching a different game. Thought Freeman was really good for the most part and put in at least three good crosses in the first half. Did more than Tomlin and Abraham 

The Freeman knockers aren't going to spot any of the good stuff he does, or other players mistakes.

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

You're right. Personally I thought Bobby Reid was woeful in the first half

Too weak  in the middle if we also playing Tomlin, easily brushed off the ball, can't win anything in the air. Pack would have been a better choice today and until Smith back

I won't moan too much about the result today. We didn't do enough in the final third. Newcastle took their one chance and put it away with a very good goal. Don't make chances you don't deserve a goal.

Freeman did make some good runs but was definitely to slow getting the ball in the box. Johnson needs to decide who he want's up front. Cannot play Kodjia, Abraham, and Tomlin all together trying to suit their positions. We've seen Tomlin out of the left, we've seen our 20 goal man last season out of position on the right wing. He's definitely got our tactics wrong in the last two home games with the starting line-up. Hope Smith is back soon, found Reid making sloppy mistakes today. Which should not be happening at this level. On a positive note, we didn't play badly. Still finding our feet and a work in progress as Johnson says. Onwards and upwards!

Oh, some ratings, just for consistency with recent away games

O'Donnell 6 - Nothing to do

Matthews 5 - Not yet up to it

Golborne 7 - Sucks we have two great left backs and no right backs

Flint 7 - As solid as he needed to be, one brilliant touch on the right wing

Magnusson 8 - Best defender on the pitch 

O'Neil 9 - Best player on the pitch. Covered Testimitanu ground.

Reid 5 - Shows futility of opinions. Best midfielder this season so far for me but awful today with the start, first half really bad

Freeman 5 - Decent enough first half but meltdown second half, is LJ actually asking him not to get wide and cross?

Tomlin 7 - Best performance of the season but still feels like a total luxury

Kodjia 6 - Far worse than Norwich, their defence had him figured out and though it's controversial I think he's avoiding getting properly stuck in.

Abraham 5 - Few nice touches but couldn't get in the game.

Sub - Little 6 - Poor and satisfactory in equal measures. Best performance of season, which is not saying a lot

Sub - Wilbraham 7 - Won most of what he was supposed to win

Sub - O'Dowda 6 - Few nice runs but couldn't get in the game

I thought Kodjia did well in the first half but he isn't a wide player and we need him to contribute with goals again. Johnson needs the courage to play one up front with Tomlin sitting behind. Either Abraham or Kodjia should start on the bench.

I want Freeman to do well as he was exceptional in 14/15. But the words 'one touch' and 'quick pass' aren't in his vocabulary. Time and time again he waited too long and delivered a hospital ball or was crowded out.  A real shame. Little can only be on the pitch because we have no other option at present. Again, I wish him well because of what he did for us in the early days.

O'Neill and Hordur were excellent. I would have liked to see Pack get a run out.

@Olé Saw the game exactly as I saw it. There is no need to panic but we do need a more settled formation. This random jumble of players/tactics was the downfall of England at this summer's Euros.

Freeman was god awful today and I have always been a fan....but just don't think he is going to be a regular starter at this level.

the step overs frustrate me and he is just like a crab running sideways shifting the ball continuously but neither shooting or crossing or passing. When he didn't clear the first man with that free kick in the second half that was the final straw.

Archived