IGNORED

Away fans in south stand!!

Full nelson

I understand and completely agree with those who say fans should be able to mix together and have some banter.

The fact is that it has been demonstrated not once but twice already that there is a major issue with this in the corporate area, which unlike the boxes is not clearly defined.

It is without doubt that the club is responsible for the safety of people in the stadium both home and away, and this is clearly demonstrated by the segregation and stewarding in the Atyeo, it is not clearly demonstrated in the corporate area and needs to be for everyone's safety.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I'd love to see an area of the ground introduced, where fans of both sets of supporters can sit together...peacefully

I think the right hand section of the away end at Fulham is a designated "neutral" area. It seemed that way last season.

The problem these days is quite literally fuelled by alcohol IMO. You see it much more in evidence at away fixtures when a sizable contingent of "our lot" pour into the ground minutes before KO, having just left the local pubs/bars. They have no regard to others who may have been there for sometime in their seats and who's view is now blocked etc.

"We're Bristol City and we stand where we want" is the mantra. All well and good if you're not affected, or squeezed out etc, but I've seen a lot of folk, including parents having to move with their youngsters, because of this.

If the stewards try to step in then it can get rather unpleasant. I can't imagine those who behave like this are like it when sober.

I do wonder what it would be like if we eased up on the segregation. The vast majority of fans do not go to football looking for a fight and it never was a problem for the vast majority.

Was it really that long ago that a couple of Bolton fans were sat next to me in the Dolman telling me that Mark Gavin was rubbish and we had wasted our money. The following season (89-90) proved that one wrong!

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I think the right hand section of the away end at Fulham is a designated "neutral" area. It seemed that way last season.

The problem these days is quite literally fuelled by alcohol IMO. You see it much more in evidence at away fixtures when a sizable contingent of "our lot" pour into the ground minutes before KO, having just left the local pubs/bars. They have no regard to others who may have been there for sometime in their seats and who's view is now blocked etc.

"We're Bristol City and we stand where we want" is the mantra. All well and good if you're not affected, or squeezed out etc, but I've seen a lot of folk, including parents having to move with their youngsters, because of this.

If the stewards try to step in then it can get rather unpleasant. I can't imagine those who behave like this are like it when sober.

I do wonder what it would be like if we eased up on the segregation. The vast majority of fans do not go to football looking for a fight and it never was a problem for the vast majority.

Was it really that long ago that a couple of Bolton fans were sat next to me in the Dolman telling me that Mark Gavin was rubbish and we had wasted our money. The following season (89-90) proved that one wrong!

Not sure about alcohol; cricket, rugby. Think it is down to the tribalism and personality of a minority of idiots. 

9 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

A neutral section works at Fulham for a reason. It's probably the most passive ground in London with the most passive support. You wouldn't find that at Millwall, Chelsea or West Ham.

Our support aren't passive enough for it to work, many clubs' support isn't. Off the top of my head, I could see it working at Watford, MK Dons, Reading - clubs like that. It's a nice idea though, and it seems to have worked at Fulham pretty well. 

Just now, 29AR said:

Not sure about alcohol; cricket, rugby. Think it is down to the tribalism and personality of a minority of idiots. 

I drive to matches home and away, so for me it's tea or coffee, and I don't follow cricket and rugby. But I guess you're right, their supporters aren't strangers to a few pints are they! But very little trouble involved with following those sports.

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

I understand and completely agree with those who say fans should be able to mix together and have some banter.

The fact is that it has been demonstrated not once but twice already that there is a major issue with this in the corporate area, which unlike the boxes is not clearly defined.

It is without doubt that the club is responsible for the safety of people in the stadium both home and away, and this is clearly demonstrated by the segregation and stewarding in the Atyeo, it is not clearly demonstrated in the corporate area and needs to be for everyone's safety.

a major problem or a few of people at 2 games who over-reacted and couldn't control their behaviour?

vast majority of people have no idea what happened or were even aware of it until reading it on here?

I'm sure the club however will tighten up security at upcoming games to keep on eye on people in and around corporate areas, nothing more than teething problems following the renovation works.

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

I think your overplaying the issue somewhat. 

The issue lies with our supporters acting in a violent way. 

Why should the club turn down revenue that's much needed because idiot elements of our support cannot be tolerant of others?

As I've said previously, there is a code of conduct to be followed in those areas and if found in breech your moved/ejected. 

Without generalisation or assumption being cast with respect it's not the hooligan away element that is buying £99+ hospitality tickets is it?

Isolated incidents that in contrast to past incidents are a non event. 

I've also noted you've asked a question in the Q&A to Mark Kelly on this matter (which by its definition is your open right to do so) but the answer I think lies closer to heart I'm afraid. 

If you sit alongside supporters of ours that find it acceptable to act in a violent way to others then it's for people like you to join people like me to distance yourself from it, report it and actively show intolerance to it not 'move the problem' on by stating 'it's them not us'. 

53 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

I think your overplaying the issue somewhat. 

The issue lies with our supporters acting in a violent way. 

Why should the club turn down revenue that's much needed because idiot elements of our support cannot be tolerant of others?

As I've said previously, there is a code of conduct to be followed in those areas and if found in breech your moved/ejected. 

Without generalisation or assumption being cast with respect it's not the hooligan away element that is buying £99+ hospitality tickets is it?

Isolated incidents that in contrast to past incidents are a non event. 

I've also noted you've asked a question in the Q&A to Mark Kelly on this matter (which by its definition is your open right to do so) but the answer I think lies closer to heart I'm afraid. 

If you sit alongside supporters of ours that find it acceptable to act in a violent way to others then it's for people like you to join people like me to distance yourself from it, report it and actively show intolerance to it not 'move the problem' on by stating 'it's them not us'. 

I thought I had distanced myself from it, but for clarity, ANYONE regardless of allegiance should receive a banning order if ejected for any kind of violence......is that clear enough for you?

My primary concern is the safety of the young people I attend with, and whose to say even in the family areas that away fans could, note I say could, take seats if they wanted too.

If you were sat near to either of these incidents with children I doubt that you would treat them so lightly.

I like the assumption that people paying £99.00 don't like a ruck, Your not generalising? Of course you are.

Interesting that the Newcastle fans were removed, or chose to go back to the Heinekin, presumably to watch the rest of the game through the windows. So the club by it's very action show that segregation is required, to protect everyone.

We don't live in a perfect  world and you can condemn all you like, as will I, but it's the people in charge who must take action, and be held responsible.

As you've noticed I have asked the question so will await an answer and leave it at that.

I watched in utter amazement as 3 Newcastle fans went to go in the south stand, all in Newcastle tops, the steward simply said put your jumpers on and in they walked

When I say steward, I also actually mean a guy in club suit with clip board and ear piece, like I say I found it amazing we let them walk straight in

maybe it is a new club policy to get people mixing? As that would never have been allowed pre Bristol sport/refurb and we all know that

2 hours ago, Club and Country said:

I watched in utter amazement as 3 Newcastle fans went to go in the south stand, all in Newcastle tops, the steward simply said put your jumpers on and in they walked

When I say steward, I also actually mean a guy in club suit with clip board and ear piece, like I say I found it amazing we let them walk straight in

maybe it is a new club policy to get people mixing? As that would never have been allowed pre Bristol sport/refurb and we all know that

Yeah that shouldn't have happened. That's surely not club policy. I can understand away fans not wearing colours and keeping quiet for a game, I've done it myself. Outwardly wearing colours in the home end though shouldn't happen, it's provocative and WILL (rightly or wrongly) provoke people.

Might be worth emailing the club, could easily get nasty if it continues. We aren't a Reading/Yeovil/MK/Fulham type supporter base, there will be incidents if that type of thing goes on.

On 20/08/2016 at 22:10, simon uk said:

Yes that was going off exactly when i got there. 

As for the thread above comparing events in a football stadium to what happened in Nice recently which was an actual act of terrorism i think you need to take some sedatives or something, maybe a lobotomy.

You what? When did i say anything about Nice? Barking up the wrong tree 

The triangle section in front of the H-Lounge should be used for them, you can then just put some of those low clear sections in so there is no segregation as such, but a clear area that the stewards / fans know might have visitors in it. It would not provoke people as much as it would not feel like away fans had "infiltrated" the home end. It's a shame it has to be done, but you need to deal with the reality not what we would like to be true.

On 8/20/2016 at 20:44, Robert the bruce said:

Why should they not celebrate???..it's a game of football...it's just territorial bull imo..if they are behaving themselves it shouldn't be a cause of anxiety.as you say it was our 'fans' behaving badly-as I type this there is a Newcastle fan two yards away from me in the pub,i think he may be 'celebrating..without further ado time for me to charge over the two yard gap and give it the big 'un.

You go and celebrate a City goal in the Newcastle home end later in the season. Carnage will ensue.

22 hours ago, Loon plage said:

There is segregation for a reason. People are not "knuckle dragging morons" if they get arsey about away fans taking the piss in areas they should not be in and people who are found in such areas should be prosecuted rather than led out whilst saluting the away end.

This post is spot on IMO. I don't condone idiots trying to give these fans a larruping. However, one thing I can't stand are people taking liberties. The Newcastle fans were clearly taking the p!ss and out to upset people. Not acceptable in a home end at a football match and not acceptable anywhere. On a side note there was a lot of goading of home fans outside of the ground after the game as well and it wasn't just banter. It could have really got nasty.

9 minutes ago, supercidered said:

This post is spot on IMO. I don't condone idiots trying to give these fans a larruping. However, one thing I can't stand are people taking liberties. The Newcastle fans were clearly taking the p!ss and out to upset people. Not acceptable in a home end at a football match and not acceptable anywhere. On a side note there was a lot of goading of home fans outside of the ground after the game as well and it wasn't just banter. It could have really got nasty.

How are people taking liberties...?

The seats were allocated to them by the club because of the package they had bought.

'not acceptable anywhere?'

Taking the piss and winding up opposition fans happens in all sports...Rugby, cricket, speedway, etc,etc It doesn't lead to fighting...just banter.

Why can't football fans just control their emotions or feelings as well? Why the anger? Why the want to kick someone's head in for celebrating a goal, having a bit of banter, supporting their team?

It say's a lot about someone, if they have the need to kick someone's head in because of football.

I and many others believe them to be 'knuckle dragging morons'.

What is it with people these days?

Goading....and they can't take it and want to kick off.

Or...'Offended'. FFS :grr:

The sooner this mentality is kicked out of football, pardon the pun, the better.

If you can't take other supporters taking the piss, without wanting to deck them, then you have seriously mental problems imo. It's a game of football.

I'd love football clubs to introduce one stand that has both sets of supporters mingled together.

It's fun...I love sitting with away supporters. You get to have banter, talk about their players, find out about how they play etc. Hear about their thoughts about your own players and club.

41 minutes ago, supercidered said:

They were supposed to be there!! Deary me.

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

How are people taking liberties...?

The seats were allocated to them by the club because of the package they had bought.

'not acceptable anywhere?'

Taking the piss and winding up opposition fans happens in all sports...Rugby, cricket, speedway, etc,etc It doesn't lead to fighting...just banter.

Why can't football fans just control their emotions or feelings as well? Why the anger? Why the want to kick someone's head in for celebrating a goal, having a bit of banter, supporting their team?

It say's a lot about someone, if they have the need to kick someone's head in because of football.

I and many others believe them to be 'knuckle dragging morons'.

What is it with people these days?

Goading....and they can't take it and want to kick off.

Or...'Offended'. FFS :grr:

The sooner this mentality is kicked out of football, pardon the pun, the better.

If you can't take other supporters taking the piss, without wanting to deck them, then you have seriously mental problems imo. It's a game of football.

I'd love football clubs to introduce one stand that has both sets of supporters mingled together.

It's fun...I love sitting with away supporters. You get to have banter, talk about their players, find out about how they play etc. Hear about their thoughts about your own players and club.

Whilst your idea sounds ok it's completely idealistic and out of touch with reality, at this moment in time. Maybe you're the one with mental issues if you think this behaviour wouldn't happen in pretty much every other stadium up and down the country. Celebrating in others' home end just isn't the done thing and if I thought I could go and do that anywhere else without getting a slap then I'd be mental.

You obviously feel very strongly about this so instead of comparing those of us who see the obvious to terrorists, why don't you start a campaign and see how much backing you get nationwide? Maybe one stand per stadium for mixed supporters will become the norm in time but I can't see it becoming totally mixed like rugby or cricket for a very very long time. Just the way it is, if you don't like it go make a change or don't bother going to football.

You come across pretty sanctimonious tbh, yes people should take responsibility for their own actions but you should also take some responsibility for your words. I have little doubt that you wouldn't dare be so judgemental to people's faces.

Ok this thread has fired up some interesting points, and some that are just utterly ludicrous. 

My take on it is this. 

I enjoy the rivalry between clubs, sets of fans etc. It's part of what I crave at football. It's what got me hooked at city, hearing both sets of fans chanting at each other. Hearing the roar when we score, meaning that little bit extra because of all the stick you've been getting for the past 50 odd minutes etc. 

Start mixing the crowds, and you take all that away in my opinion. 

And no, I'm not saying people should get a slap or whatever has been mentioned before, but come on, let's be honest, we're not at a point where it's 'fine and okay' to mix in the home end, and anyone that does, should definitely be quiet and not celebrate, mainly out of respect, but also if they had any sense at all, they'd know they'd be putting themselves at risk, rightly or wrongly. 

The rules are there, no away support in home ends. Now even if, in this case, the club put them there, if the fans started over cheering, goading etc, and the stewards didn't do anything, then they're taking the piss and I'm glad someone told them to do one. That's where I draw the line. If city concede a goal, I'm annoyed, angry, upset. Last thing I want is some away fans rubbing my nose in it. 

But punches being thrown, if that is what happened, is obviously wrong, and now puts the blame back on our fans. But if it's just people shouting at them then so be it. 

These fans knew what they were doing, and what they were doing was wrong. This isn't rugby (thank god). It's football. And the rules in football are home and away fans have to be segregated. 

51 minutes ago, citybs3 said:

Whilst your idea sounds ok it's completely idealistic and out of touch with reality, at this moment in time. Maybe you're the one with mental issues if you think this behaviour wouldn't happen in pretty much every other stadium up and down the country. Celebrating in others' home end just isn't the done thing and if I thought I could go and do that anywhere else without getting a slap then I'd be mental.

You obviously feel very strongly about this so instead of comparing those of us who see the obvious to terrorists, why don't you start a campaign and see how much backing you get nationwide? Maybe one stand per stadium for mixed supporters will become the norm in time but I can't see it becoming totally mixed like rugby or cricket for a very very long time. Just the way it is, if you don't like it go make a change or don't bother going to football.

You come across pretty sanctimonious tbh, yes people should take responsibility for their own actions but you should also take some responsibility for your words. I have little doubt that you wouldn't dare be so judgemental to people's faces.

Just for you and your mate and anyone else who gets 'offended' by another supporter cheering for their team ;-)

And just clarify...those of you saying no fans should be together and segregated...you are wrong. Hospitality has been sold to both sets of supporters for years...and they've sat together in the 'home' section as well. It used to be in the 'posh seats' in the Williams.

This was the case on Saturday.

Archived