IGNORED

Citys defending corners today.

Robbored

It reminded me of the first few games of last season particularly the Burnley game where we just didn't seem to have a clue how to defend. Flint getting nowhere near the ball , hopefully just the difference of playing a so called better team that have been more drilled from playing in a league above as last season we were new boys in championship. We haven't been so bad in the other games this season so hopefully it's just that 

3 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Bringing everyone back winds me up too. Just means when it's cleared it's going to come straight back. Newcastle actually kept two forward

That always has in all my years of watching football. Why not leave your quickest or at least your smallest player on the halfway line? They have to leave two back that way and what use someone like LJ, Ivan, Kilkenny, Albert or any number of others over the years was at defending a corner beats me?

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

Zonal  marking?  :dunno:

Twice N'castle got in free headers and luckily for us both missed!

City won't be lucky again against decent opposition if LJ continues with that defending system. It's crap.

The famous arsenal back 4 that were so good used zonal and if done right it's better than man marking in my opinion, trouble is it takes proper football intelligence to use it of which we don't have so man marking is better suited to the players we have!

4 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Bringing everyone back winds me up too. Just means when it's cleared it's going to come straight back. Newcastle actually kept two forward

4 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

I really agree with this. I know I quoted the same post twice but I feel it's such an important point it bears repeating !

As for zonal marking, for me it leaves forwards too much potential to get a run on defenders. 

6 hours ago, I am the mole said:

The famous arsenal back 4 that were so good used zonal and if done right it's better than man marking in my opinion, trouble is it takes proper football intelligence to use it of which we don't have so man marking is better suited to the players we have!

Completely agree that zonal is best when done correctly.  Some of the worlds best coaches don't use it because it is secondary.  Don't know about our players not having intelligence to do it.  It takes time.

As has been said, zonal marking can work brilliantly but it needs to be done well. 

Whenever I've seen man for man marking it invariable ends up with a few wrestling matches going on. With the change of rules this year we've already seen a few penalties given, and rightly so IMO.

Maybe Lee thinks zonal is now the safest thing to do...

Archived