IGNORED

Stewards

Calculus

6 hours ago, Mkelly said:

FA guidance and our ground regs advise no impact to any individual pitch invasion unless threat of safety or security to players or crowds

Long story short - let the lad make a fool of himself and get no pitch attention until he gets bored. 

The guy has been arrested and under ground regs should be banned from all football grounds for up to 24 months 

Mark 

Thanks for clearing that up, Mark.  Seems the way forward for any potential troublemaker then is to run on the pitch under the guise of being silly then. By the time it becomes apparent it's not just foolishness, it's too late!

out of interest, do FA regs permit the playing of Benny Hill over the PA when the invader comes on?

5 hours ago, Mkelly said:

FA guidance and our ground regs advise no impact to any individual pitch invasion unless threat of safety or security to players or crowds

Long story short - let the lad make a fool of himself and get no pitch attention until he gets bored. 

The guy has been arrested and under ground regs should be banned from all football grounds for up to 24 months 

Mark 

I can see this post has already been inundated with 'likes', so I'm probably on my own here, but that seems extremely harsh to me.

The fan clearly got carried away with his celebrations, but he wasn't aggressive in any way and no real harm was done

If he'd been winding up the away fans or bothering any of the players he'd fully deserve the severe sanctions you mention, but none of that happened, so surely a strong warning, perhaps a 3 match suspension, and perhaps moving his ST to the back of a stand would have sufficed?

Getting a criminal record for nothing more than over enthusiasm seems incredibly harsh when there appeared no intent to cause any trouble.

I wonder if the young Barnsley fan who also charged on the pitch in celebration of a goal yesterday received the same punishment?

This seems an incredibly Draconian outcome to me.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I can see this post has already been inundated with 'likes', so I'm probably on my own here, but that seems extremely harsh to me.

The fan clearly got carried away with his celebrations, but he wasn't aggressive in any way and no real harm was done

If he'd been winding up the away fans or bothering any of the players he'd fully deserve the severe sanctions you mention, but none of that happened, so surely a strong warning, perhaps a 3 match suspension, and perhaps moving his ST to the back of a stand would have sufficed?

Getting a criminal record for nothing more than over enthusiasm seems incredibly harsh when there appeared no intent to cause any trouble.

I wonder if the young Barnsley fan who also charged on the pitch in celebration of a goal yesterday received the same punishment?

I'm somewhere between the two views on this. I don't think there's too much wrong with the occasional lone celebratory invasion so long as there is no malice and the "offender" takes himself off soon after the goal excitement has gone.

But there has to be a deterrent, otherwise it could happen with monotonous regularity, and could escalate to something more sinister.

Many wouldn't worry about a three match ban, but 24 months and a criminal record I agree is too much.

I would suggest a ban for a few games AND an on the spot fine of a couple of hundred quid. Unless he was very drunk I bet that chap would have thought twice if that was to be the outcome.

31 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I 'liked' MK's post, but for the non-highlighted comments in your own post, i.e. no need for a rugby tackle or other such physical intervention on the pitch.

For the record, I would hope that the official message - arrest and 24 month ban - is widely publicised, but that, quietly and unofficially, he is given a strong warning and, if necessary, a short ban only.

On 28 August 2016 at 11:05, Mkelly said:

Going on to the pitch during play is against the law.

Without such strong sanctions games would be interrupted across all leagues and safety of players could be jepordised. 

Just give the guy a slap on the wrist, ban him for a few games and tell him one more strike and he's out, the guy had one too many drinks and made a mistake which I'm sure he regrets

6 hours ago, harrys said:

Just give the guy a slap on the wrist, ban him for a few games and tell him one more strike and he's out, the guy had one too many drinks and made a mistake which I'm sure he regrets

Needs to learn to control his drink then, alcohol can never be an excuse. He'll definitely regret it but no arguments.

On 8/28/2016 at 11:05, Mkelly said:

Going on to the pitch during play is against the law.

Without such strong sanctions games would be interrupted across all leagues and safety of players could be jepordised. 

Yes, but those in authority can show discretion.

When someone breaks the law the option exists to give a warning, or a caution.

Saturday's incident appeared to be no more than spur of the moment 'merry' over exhuberance, with no aggression or malice whatsoever.

The punishment should fit the crime imo., hence lenience could be shown in this particular case of over enthusiasm.

• Admin
On 8/28/2016 at 03:56, Mkelly said:

Mark 

32 minutes ago, cityboy said:

That's crazy. What if they were a mentalist and had a knife? Could go very wrong, very quickly.

Guess there is a difference between a pissed up supporter and those that charged on against Rovers?

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

Guess there is a difference between a pissed up supporter and those that charged on against Rovers?

But how do the stewards know who is and isn't a threat until it's too late? If they're all sat at the edge of the pitch, they aren't going to be able to get across to the person on the pitch quickly enough to stop them if they suddenly turn from being drunken merrymaker to Knifey McKnifeface

7 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Playing devils advocate, if he had too much to drink, is the club at fault to allow admission?

Nothing to do with playing devils advocate, everyone could see there was no malice meant, if he'd gone to confront a player then that is another matter and would deserve a lengthy ban, I think some people should chill out a bit and see it for what it was

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Nothing to do with playing devils advocate, everyone could see there was no malice meant, if he'd gone to confront a player then that is another matter and would deserve a lengthy ban, I think some people should chill out a bit and see it for what it was

So nothing is done and precedent is set, "it's okay, he's just having a laugh".

I don't have a problem with it and actually forgot about it, until it appeared on here. But you have to realistic and a punishment of sorts will have to be served, otherwise how many times will/could it be repeated every time we score a goal?

10 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

So nothing is done and precedent is set, "it's okay, he's just having a laugh".

I don't have a problem with it and actually forgot about it, until it appeared on here. But you have to realistic and a punishment of sorts will have to be served, otherwise how many times will/could it be repeated every time we score a goal?

As I've already stated, my punishment would be give him a couple of games ban with a final warning, others have a different idea of a punishment, he did a couple of gymnastic stunts and generally ran around not knowing what to do, he didn't confront any player, that would of been a different matter all together

38 minutes ago, harrys said:

As I've already stated, my punishment would be give him a couple of games ban with a final warning, others have a different idea of a punishment, he did a couple of gymnastic stunts and generally ran around not knowing what to do, he didn't confront any player, that would of been a different matter all together

For a first occurrence I think the above is proportional to the "offence".

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Rules me out. I've only ever stewarded in a library and they want high volume experience.

Also surprised they haven't listed being able to spot explosives under a jacket (but only after 12.30 as that's when the checks start).

Archived