IGNORED

Budding accountants - what we have spent and recovered so far...

cityexile

5 minutes ago, Kermit the Frog said:

Quick thought - do we pay tax on transfer fee for our sold players? Would make a huge difference to These numbers 

Technically yes the transfer fee received for players is taxable at 20% as a 'chargeable gain'. Player contracts are capitalised as an asset and amortised (written down) over the length of the contract.

However, given than football clubs make ridiculous levels of losses year-on-year, we will have built up an enormous amount of tax losses which we can offset in the unlikely event of a profit this year.

I would wager that very few football clubs pay corporation tax on an annual basis, maybe Arsenal aside....

15 hours ago, cityexile said:

It is a bit of a guess. Somebody else said that somebody else had said to somebody, the Tomlin fee was not a record for us, so I placed it at £2m.

It is entirely possible that the somebody who spoke to the somebody else before sharing it with somebody, had no idea!

The transfer fee would be less than for a total newcomer because what we paid last season as a "Loan Fee" is probably included in the sums.

And that's before taking into account the tax relief on the stadium development, although with the group structure at Bristol Sport being what it is I must admit to not being 100% sure how much of that relief the football club can utilise directly.

@Kermit the Frog you've got me thinking now....

Bristol Sport is the ultimate parent company of BCFC, Bristol Rugby, Bristol Flyers, Bristol Racing etc. etc. So there may be an opportunity for the group to use losses generated in any of the subsidiary companies (e.g. BCFC) against profits of any other group company.

I'm sure our very clever majority shareholder has some very clever accountants working all of this out for him mind you.....

5 minutes ago, WestfieldRed said:

And that's before taking into account the tax relief on the stadium development, although with the group structure at Bristol Sport being what it is I must admit to not being 100% sure how much of that relief the football club can utilise directly.

@Kermit the Frog you've got me thinking now....

Bristol Sport is the ultimate parent company of BCFC, Bristol Rugby, Bristol Flyers, Bristol Racing etc. etc. So there may be an opportunity for the group to use losses generated in any of the subsidiary companies (e.g. BCFC) against profits of any other group company.

I'm sure our very clever majority shareholder has some very clever accountants working all of this out for him mind you.....

Always good to throw a spanner in the works ;) there is so much that fans don't know about running a football club, the whole Bristol sport franchise makes it even harder for us to understand

8 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Not entirely sure that's accurate.

You may be right. I recall SL using Pula Sport Ltd as the holding company for quite a number of years, so perhaps Bristol Sport Ltd is just another subsidiary of that now.

I may look into the corporate structure of the group at some point and post it up for clarity.

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

So when you say only, you mean only almost twice our previous record transfer in just profit? That's nothing to scoff at mate. That's also an initial £6.23m rising to close to £8.5m possibly. Also recouped our initial fee. I've seen you say this multiple times like its a bad thing and I fail to see it that way. For the year, we are up 8.4m on Kodjia(initial fee on last years books) and 4m roughly on Bolasie. Plus the gains on Williams, Ayling and Agard. When could you ever say that about our club? When could you ever say that about the club with probably the strongest side it's seen in 40 years? 

Wouldn't that really be the side that got within 90mins of the Premier league???

On 31 August 2016 at 23:26, red'tili'mdead said:

So how did we end up? The Club must be significantly in the black in this window.....

According to the Lansdown interview we have spent approx £11 Million.

We sold Kodjia for £11M, Agard for a reported £1.2M plus Ayling and Williams for approx £1M too.

We are also due to receive further money for Bolasie (reported to be £4.9M) and Adomah (£750K)...but we are also due to give Angers approx £2.5M

So, that's £13.5M spent and £18.8 received...so we should be just over £5M in credit - what a great window.

I don't though understand all of the paper talk saying we haven't quite broken even, unless of course we have yet to receive the money for both Bolaise and Adomah.

On 30/08/2016 at 21:05, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You shouldn't assume that a loan is fee-free.  I would expect we are paying a hefty wadge to Chelsea for Abraham's services.  Didn't someone say that Baker cost us £1m just for a single season?

Loans come with a fee as well as a percentage or sometimes all of the wages.

8 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Adam asked Steve if we have made a profit this window. His answer was actually not. He also said that we have spent £11m

He also referred to attendances in the same answer. Sounded more like he was answering if we were profitable for the season thus far rather than just on transfers.

Archived