IGNORED

Happy or disappointed....

famouslastword

So another deadline day has finished. For me personally I believe this has been one of our best transfer markets in the last 8-10 years. We have shipped out some fringe players, bought in players with great quality and have sold a player for a record fee who was great last season but was still relatively unproven after one great season. We also managed to retain certain key players which I believe was just as important as bringing someone in. 

It is disappointing that we couldn't get one more over the line but I believe the club tried everything they could and mark, sl and lj have had a great summer. The club feels like it's on the up not just playing wise but the stature of the club and how we are perceived by others. We also seem to be operating professionally and sticking to our fundamental goals. Let's be positive and I for one look forward to seeing what mark has to say tomorrow on radio bristol! 

Only window that can rival this is our promotion season, some fans will get angry about not bringing in a big name to replace Kodjia and forget the rest of the window. Did these fans really expect the club to allow itself to be held for ransom? Clubs will have had the Kodjia money fresh in their minds today for anyone we tried to buy and probably upped their bids accordingly considering the fee was made public. We now have time to scout and identify players to target for January.

Wow . I agree 100%. We are at last acting professionally and sensibly. This deadline day is load of carp and we have treated it as it should be with dignity,

Lets just get on with the job in hand and get some points on board. We have a squad of players the like I have not seen for years and years. We will surprised

a lot of teams this season. Deadline day is dead and buried. And I thank God for that.

17 minutes ago, hodge said:

Only window that can rival this is our promotion season, some fans will get angry about not bringing in a big name to replace Kodjia and forget the rest of the window. Did these fans really expect the club to allow itself to be held for ransom? Clubs will have had the Kodjia money fresh in their minds today for anyone we tried to buy and probably upped their bids accordingly considering the fee was made public. We now have time to scout and identify players to target for January.

You really do not want to be running around doing much business at all on TDD if at all possible.

We gave signed a dozen? players over the summer. We have kept Flint, Pack and Freeman who were all rumoured having offers today, and it looks a well constructed squad. Months of work has gone into that, not just the running around of panic buys today.

Not going to lie, think we are now light of depth up front, but not awful, and January is not so very far away. That was caused by arguably a panic buy from another team, but 20 goal a season strikers do not grow on trees.

LJ now needs to prove that he can build his team with all the jigsaw pieces to has assembled. Confident he will.

The idea that an 18yo boy can carry the team singlehandedly (Wilbs too old, the Swede too inexperienced) through 46 Championship fixtures is ludicrous.

We better do a damn sight better in January but that transfer window feels a very long way away just at the minute.

Perhaps it will look better in the morning*. Good night and sweet dreams (of what might have been).

* Bollocks will it.

Does not excuse why we let Agard go. That appears to be very high risk and/or short sighted call.

We could be lucky and Gustav is another diamond and/or Tammy stays fit all year..... but if not we may have to play Tomlin as a 'false nine' in far too many matches next year - which will knacker him out and reduce the spark and overall effectiveness of our best match winner. 

Also what if we want/need to change formations and play two up top ?

What LJ has done is add players who can score goals from various positions. All our midfield and forwards have goals in them as well as Flint who gets his fair share from set plays. We are not reliant on just one player and goals will be shared around I believe and if we need to add any more players in Jan then we have a war chest now 

I think the club has done brilliantly this summer and we can't be disappointed overall. Remember LJ said it would take 4 or 5 transfer windows to shift the team to what was needed and yet I doubt he was thinking he could get this many this time. 

However there is no way this 24 hours has gone as planned, we want to compete one division below the Premiership in the 4th or 5th biggest football division in the world, and we have just three out and out  strikers. We didn't sell Agard with that in mind. Today has devalued some of it.

It's conventional even in the lowest divisions to have four out and out strikers so you can have 1-2 on the bench and cover for injuries. We are very short even allowing for using Tomlin or Patterson up top. McCoulsky is on fire at Weston and thank god he is as we may need him now.

Disappointed (not angry!) that we failed to replace JK - or that we let him go without having a replacement in the bag. I think that could cost us dear this season. An injury to Tammy and we're going to really struggle to score goals, and I think we've simply not replaced the handful that KJ was for defenders.

1 minute ago, BarmyArmy said:

Devastating not to replace JK. Had we signed a proven Championship goalscorer we would have had an outside chance of play-offs. Mid-table at best as it stands.

And got fleeced for a good £10m at least for a proven championship striker, we took Villa for £11m upfront for Kodjia having had 1 good season.

Mid table at best..... GREAT! We were relegation candidates for the majority of last season, nothing wrong with being solidly mid table this season.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

And got fleeced for a good £10m at least for a proven championship striker, we took Villa for £11m upfront for Kodjia having had 1 good season.

Mid table at best..... GREAT! We were relegation candidates for the majority of last season, nothing wrong with being solidly mid table this season.

I agree, but I believe we could have been pushing for play-offs if we signed someone like Grabban.

Overall I am pretty happy,, but worry a bit about the strikers- Tomlin and Abraham is great but as others have touched upon, what is beneath- that is proven and can step up if one or more are out.

The transfer policy generally. Again happy, profit is in the market always good- young players, very promising. However, perhaps a bit too much focus on young players, while sell on value is excellent, one more experienced (and I mean 26-28 bracket not say 30 plus) instead of one of the young guys would have been better balance I reckon. The lack of experience is a bit of a nagging concern in a League like this.

Despite the minor reservations though, 2nd best window in a long while after 2014 and after some of the early business, I thought it would in fact be as on a par with that. Letting Williams and Ayling go, be sold on...may have kept one of them.

1 minute ago, BarmyArmy said:

I agree, but I believe we could have been pushing for play-offs if we signed someone like Grabban.

Grabban's scoring rate isn't even that great, would have been about £8m for a 28 year old who'd need to perform above his historical performances suggest to have that effect.

Not replacing Kodjia has left a sour taste to this transfer window but you can't forget we were one player away from a near perfect window and can still be competitive with what we have. Much now relys on how well the new lad can adapt and also if tammy can maintain his form. Despite them being young tammy clearly has the talent and the Swedish lad clearly has promise aswell, so with the help of old man wilbs there's no reason why we can't still do very well. We can always get someone else in when we get to January if needs be anyway. Don't forget we were fighting for survival last season so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

24 minutes ago, BarmyArmy said:

Devastating not to replace JK. Had we signed a proven Championship goalscorer we would have had an outside chance of play-offs. Mid-table at best as it stands.

JK wanted to go. If he wanted to stay, not convinced we would have sold him, even at £11m.

Timing was unfortunate - but it is a bit of a food chain. Newcastle have spent more than £50m this window. We may hate it, but those clubs will get the 'proven' strikers before us. They simply will pay more.

That means us having to work harder to find the unproven as yet strikers, that we think can make it.

We do feel really light up front, even if we had say Agard and Burns on the bench I would be feeling happier, but in about a 20 league games the window opens again. It is a calculated risk, one that is higher than LJ I am sure wants, but still better to think about it, get who we really want, than panic today.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Think you're glossing over the ... 'at best' reference.

If our young loanee gets injured, gets found out and is muscled out of games, loses confidence or form we are in serious shite. This sets aside the idea of flexible formations and playing 2 strikers up front. 

Putting our entire faith in leading the line on a lad that has plaŷed 3 and a bit league games is frightening tbh. However, one can only assume that our hierarchy has absolute confidence he can carry out that critical role for the entire season and that the Swedish lad is a cracker and will immediately fit into the Championship and be a success. Putting a hell of a lot of pressure on inexperienced youngsters though. Let's hope our hierarchy are right, otherwise, all the excellent work over the  Summer has been devalued significantly. 

Brilliant, until today. Now feeling a bit deflated as we could end up struggling again. 

Not really, no where does it say we have to stick to a 1 up top, we have the players to play wide forwards in a 433, Wilbs up top offers a target man option. If everything is going tits up come January we've essentially still got a full war chest to go buy someone the minute the window opens, we won't be going the whole season with 3 strikers.

Taken two steps forward but one step back from being a very good to a good transfer window. I'm pretty disappointed we've let our most valuable player leave this late in the window and haven't replaced him!

I have said earlier, I'm not counting Wilbs as a striking option. So that leaves us with a 18 year old lad and a 20 year old who has never played English football before. 

You've got balls Lee, I'll give you that.

26 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The idea that an 18yo boy can carry the team singlehandedly (Wilbs too old, the Swede too inexperienced) through 46 Championship fixtures is ludicrous.

We better do a damn sight better in January but that transfer window feels a very long way away just at the minute.

Perhaps it will look better in the morning*. Good night and sweet dreams (of what might have been).

* Bollocks will it.

Totally agree with you, an 18 year old striker will find this division very tough as the season goes on, we needed another experienced striker imo.

All in all we have made some quality signings, but all games in this league are so tight and it's been shown that teams with the quality experienced strikers are the successful ones, I feel we will regret not getting one in.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Not really, no where does it say we have to stick to a 1 up top, we have the players to play wide forwards in a 433, Wilbs up top offers a target man option. If everything is going tits up come January we've essentially still got a full war chest to go buy someone the minute the window opens, we won't be going the whole season with 3 strikers.

Don't think you'll find the January window an easy one, particularly if you want a quality, in-form striker good enough to score buckets of goals in the Championship. Pretty unlikely that the hyper-inflation on transfer fees will slow any in that period either. 

Got to  trust the Club, they know the strikers and their capabilities. Massive gamble in my view though and bordering on wreckless. Maybe they've seen something in one or more of our young strikers on loan and they are already capable of stepping up to the mark.

Blimey, Arnies only been away for a few hours! Know he tweeted 'I'll be back' but I didn't expect it to be that quick. Pretty rapid improvement into a Championship standard striker too! Must be the Devon air down here!

A lot of people worried about goals, but we have an interchangeable 'front four' of Bryan, COD, Reid, Freeman, Tomlin, Paterson, Wilbs, Tammy and now Engvall. There's goals in that lot. I agree that it would have been nice to have signed one more, but that still gives us flexibility. 

36 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

* Bollocks will it.

You seem to be quite the expert. I trust the board and LJ to take us forward . The points you have made maybe quite valid at the moment but only time will tell. 

Very happy indeed.

Guessing we had little choice over the timing of Kodjia's departure but it would have taken a brave decision to have turned that fee down.Would have been ideal to have had a ready made replacement but equally it is easy to waste £11 million. On the evidence of our dealings so far I am inclined to trust those that have done so well in securing the services of some established players, youngsters with proven ability and potential to improve and a couple of development players. 

Let's play the long game and be satisfied with what we have got so far.

Gutted at 11pm. Quite happy now actually.....

On reflection, we were never going to 'replace' Kodjia. i.e. sell a proven (one season) championship striker, and buy another (ala Rhodes etc.). What would have been the point? We have 'replaced' Kodjia with Engvall. Let's see how he does. It wasn't all that long ago we were lamenting Kodjia's arrival as our main striker, and that didn't pan out too badly. 

Also....

TOMLIN. I think we will use him far more as a striker / no.10; really get him higher up the pitch influencing the games and scoring goals. What a player he is to have as well.

Patterson. Interesting signing - clearly we see something in him and he seems fairly highly rated (I've not seen him much TBO).

O'Dowda - looks a gem. Might take some time, but the opening 20 minutes v Wigan showed us a glimpse of potentially a top top player. 

Plus the rest of the squad, including Tammy who looks a gem as well.

Last but not least....

FLINT.

It is an illusion to believe we could have gone out and replaced Kodjia on some kind of like for like basis - because they cost circa £11m, with wages to match, and there will always be a bigger fish in our sea that out spends us.

Our only chance was/is to replace Kodjia with how he was seen a year ago. Just the way it is. Still nervous we are very thin numbers wise up front (would we have let  Agard go if we knew?), but as Kodjia was effectively gone before our last match, it can be argued we now have more options up front than the squad that stuffed Villa last time out.

You'll never win anything with kids.......

...... But we won't go bankrupt or get relegated either and I, for one, intend to enjoy the next two or three seasons as LJ builds up the team and develops what we've got. I've no crushing desire to get stuffed 8-0 by Man City just yet.

"'tis the gift to be just where you ought to be."

It'll be fun.

Archived