IGNORED

Best transfer period ever

allyolly

And still we have our moaners!!

We've broken our record fee in Tomlin who very few thought we would get, secured a record fee for Kodjia, kept Flint, got Magnusson in, got a young Swedish international, got a seasoned pro to steady the ship who has been motm almost every game, still got Korey to come back and have made a great start to the season!

LJ has gone on record as saying we need 3 transfer windows to get us where he wants us to be and this is his first one. 

Sorry but if the future isn't looking bright for us now it never will be. 

Yes best transfer record ever. Selling our top scorer and leaving until the day before to announce it only to fall short of time to get a replacement for a key position that would have meant a perfect transfer record. Now despite all the other deals done this leaves a sour taste in mouth.

Lots of people are declaring this the 'best transfer window ever' with the season 5 games old which I find a bit of a premature conclusion.

I'm very excited with the young talent we've bought in, Moore, Magnusson, O'Dowda, Abraham.. Everyone we've signed looks to be a useful addition in theory.

The 'moaners' are justified. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be slightly concerned we've got 3 strikers, - one being 18, one 20 and one 36 - to replace a 20 goal forward. As I said in the transfer forum, Tammy could burn out or get injured, Engvall is a bit of an unknown quantity that may not bare fruit for a while and Wilbraham is arguably not quite championship standard anymore. 

I have no doubt the club tried everything to bring in a forward, but you can't really criticise people for being a bit concerned about our forward options right now, we are light in that area.

Plenty of decent free agents about that will provide good back up for Tammy. No need for the mass panic I've seen from many.

Funny that when we sold Kodjia I saw a lot of people saying he was shit, can't finish, can't stay onside etc etc.. Now we haven't brought another in the same people are crying that we haven't replaced our prized asset!

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lots of people are declaring this the 'best transfer window ever' with the season 5 games old which I find a bit of a premature conclusion.

I'm very excited with the young talent we've bought in, Moore, Magnusson, O'Dowda, Abraham.. Everyone we've signed looks to be a useful addition in theory.

The 'moaners' are justified. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be slightly concerned we've got 3 strikers, - one being 18, one 20 and one 36 - to replace a 20 goal forward. As I said in the transfer forum, Tammy could burn out or get injured, Engvall is a bit of an unknown quantity that may not bare fruit for a while and Wilbraham is arguably not quite championship standard anymore. 

I have no doubt the club tried everything to bring in a forward, but you can't really criticise people for being a bit concerned about our forward options right now, we are light in that area.

We have 5 players who are more than capable as strikers, Tomlin and Patterson have both played as strikers before. 5 players for 1 position is more than enough to tide us through until January at which point if we need another striker we will be able to get one

5 hours ago, Dibdenred said:

Yes best transfer record ever. Selling our top scorer and leaving until the day before to announce it only to fall short of time to get a replacement for a key position that would have meant a perfect transfer record. Now despite all the other deals done this leaves a sour taste in mouth.

Alright Cotts time to let it go .

Put it into context, when we got to the play off final we had the likes of Byfield and a plus 1 goal difference.

Now we have a strong squad, brought 12 players in and have arguably one of the best promising prospects in Tammy.

In addition we have made a profit and got an 8 figure fee for a player that hadn't even hit the net for us this season.

The second half against Villa showed we have goals in the team. I am not worried. We have just had our best window ever IMO. Certainly in the thirty plus years I have been supporting City.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can see the point about not having enough forwards, and I would have liked another. However, this season I think we'll be less dependent on one person scoring our goals, the three in behind our 1 striker (presuming we stick to 4-2-3-1) will bag some, our defenders will bag some (as Bryan did on Saturday) and so will our midfielders. Hopefully Tammy's injury isn't that bad, but from what I've seen Gustav should fit in well. 

I'm happy. Whilst Agard and Kodjia leaving plus Burns out on loan makes us look light up front on paper, in practice I think we'll be fine until next window.

LJ is favouring one central striker. If we had brought in a big name striker to replace Kodjia, presumably Tammy would be pushed to the bench. I'd rather see Tammy starting at the moment. We'll see how Gustav does, plus Wilbs will still have a role to play.

We do have good options now across the 3 behind the central striker. Arguably those options are more naturally suited to those roles than Kodjia was playing on the right.

In addition putting Burns out on loan may mean he has the sharpness to come back firing in Jan. 

We've taken the cash and now have a crocked 18 year old, an untried striker from Sweden, and a 36 year old. We've gone from knocking on the door of the playoffs to being a "selling club" and to a Championship rival which we were told wasn't going to happen. Don't get me wrong, the money for Kodjia is excellent business, and I hope that Engvall turns out to be another Kodjia in which case I will be very excited about our chances of doing well. However, if Tammy's injury turns out to be a bad one or ends up requiring an operation, Engvall finds it tough in the Championship, and we only have Wilbraham as an out and out striker then all the good work and promise might turn sour and that would leave me and no doubt a lot of other supporters feeling like we have been lied to. I must admit this is one of the most exciting transfer windows if not the most exciting transfer window in Bristol City's history. I'm putting my faith in Lee and the scouting network that they know something that we don't and that they haven't just taken the money for Kodjia and failed to get a replacement that would get us the goals we need and provide us with strength in depth. No doubt the coming weeks will reveal all. Let's see where we are at Christmas and then decide whether it was the most successful in the clubs history. Personally I think we needed one more quality striker and I was excited by the prospect of it being Jordan Rhodes, but I expect that was a wage issue.

I'm happy we have sold Agard and Kodjia for good money which has been used to bring in several other players. Kodjia wanted out to the point that he was possibly becoming distracted and unsettling. Agard was never the answer for us, if he had stayed he would have been expected to deliver which he just couldn't do and people would have been piling the pressure on. So I'm glad he has gone and we at least don't have that option to tear apart.

So it's up to who we have to deliver, other people besides forwards/strikers can score goals. We can have loads of forwards as we've had in the past and without them getting decent service they might as well have not been there. We might be better spreading the goals throughout the team, it's great having a top goal scorer if it happens but putting everything on one player always a risk

47 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

We've taken the cash and now have a crocked 18 year old, an untried striker from Sweden, and a 36 year old. We've gone from knocking on the door of the playoffs to being a "selling club" and to a Championship rival which we were told wasn't going to happen. Don't get me wrong, the money for Kodjia is excellent business, and I hope that Engvall turns out to be another Kodjia in which case I will be very excited about our chances of doing well. However, if Tammy's injury turns out to be a bad one or ends up requiring an operation, Engvall finds it tough in the Championship, and we only have Wilbraham as an out and out striker then all the good work and promise might turn sour and that would leave me and no doubt a lot of other supporters feeling like we have been lied to. I must admit this is one of the most exciting transfer windows if not the most exciting transfer window in Bristol City's history. I'm putting my faith in Lee and the scouting network that they know something that we don't and that they haven't just taken the money for Kodjia and failed to get a replacement that would get us the goals we need and provide us with strength in depth. No doubt the coming weeks will reveal all. Let's see where we are at Christmas and then decide whether it was the most successful in the clubs history. Personally I think we needed one more quality striker and I was excited by the prospect of it being Jordan Rhodes, but I expect that was a wage issue.

Tammy will be back by Rotherham, Johnson has said that, this time last year Kodjia was an untried 25 year old who had only ever had 1 good season. Tomlin and Patterson have both played as a striker, so we have those who can go there if needed. 5 players for one position is more than enough.

"We have 5 players who are more than capable as strikers, Tomlin and Patterson have both played as strikers before. 5 players for 1 position is more than enough to tide us through until January at which point if we need another striker we will be able to get one"

@JamesBCFC Meant to quote you but something went wrong!

I was hoping we wouldn't be left in a situation where we had to make compromises like playing Tomlin purely as a striker (not a number 10). It's not an ideal solution to play our prime creative force there. Describing them as "more than capable" is a big statement. 

I appreciate though how complex things were yesterday and how well the rest of the window was. Let's hope Engvall is an immediate success and extra goal threat from midfield compensates until January.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

"

We have 5 players who are more than capable as strikers, Tomlin and Patterson have both played as strikers before. 5 players for 1 position is more than enough to tide us through until January at which point if we need another striker we will be able to get one"

I was hoping we wouldn't be left in a situation where we had to make compromises like playing Tomlin as a striker (not a number 10 like now). It's not an ideal solution to play our prime creative force there. Describing them as "more than capable" is a big statement. 

I appreciate though how complex things were yesterday and how well the rest of the window was. Let's hope Engvall is an immediate success and extra goal threat from midfield compensates until January.

play tomlin as a striker and you push Bobby in to the number 10 role with pack coming into midfield, or you play paterson or the swidish lad, we have so many options but continue to panic......

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

"We have 5 players who are more than capable as strikers, Tomlin and Patterson have both played as strikers before. 5 players for 1 position is more than enough to tide us through until January at which point if we need another striker we will be able to get one"

I was hoping we wouldn't be left in a situation where we had to make compromises like playing Tomlin purely as a striker (not a number 10). It's not an ideal solution to play our prime creative force there. Describing them as "more than capable" is a big statement. 

I know your point, but as a short term solution- which is all it's likely to be, Tomlin up top with Freeman or Reid behind in Tomlins usual role for a game or two wouldn't be the worst solution.

We could almost play Tomlin as a false nine, and no out and out striker per se. We know Reid, Bryan and Patterson can score goals, so those three behind him, with Tomlin creating would produce plenty of opportunities.

As the transfer window ends it's time to reflect. In my opinion:

Having sold Kodja, there will certainly be much discussion about our options in attack. While the addition of a proven goal scorer at this level would have been welcomed, we will be OK. With Tammy, Gustav and Wilbs all competing for the central striker role, we also have goal scorers all over the pitch such as Tomlin, Browning, Paterson and O'Dowda all are creative players who can score as well as having defenders who will chip in e.g. Flint, Bryan and Magnusson.

Our recruitment strategy is working, is sensible and is sustainable 

Achieved a healthier mix of youth and experience with 33 ins and outs in total

Held onto Flint 

Those who departed all served us well and the time was right for the Club and for them to move on

Still have an option with Joel Ekstrand and Kieran Richardson

Benefited  financially thanks to a sell-on clause from Bolaise's move from Palace to Everton (for an undisclosed fee rumoured to be circa £30 m)

11 young players out on loan is really encouraging and bodes well for the future

There is a more obvious and positive link between the first team, the under 23's and the development squad

For every done deal there would have been many others which were explored

We end the transfer window in much better shape than when the window opened, with a stronger and better balanced squad  

Thank you to everyone involved!

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm happy we have sold Agard and Kodjia for good money which has been used to bring in several other players. Kodjia wanted out to the point that he was possibly becoming distracted and unsettling. Agard was never the answer for us, if he had stayed he would have been expected to deliver which he just couldn't do and people would have been piling the pressure on. So I'm glad he has gone and we at least don't have that option to tear apart.

So it's up to who we have to deliver, other people besides forwards/strikers can score goals. We can have loads of forwards as we've had in the past and without them getting decent service they might as well have not been there. We might be better spreading the goals throughout the team, it's great having a top goal scorer if it happens but putting everything on one player always a risk

If Agard had stayed, it would have caused more negativity on here than him going. In reality he was not really quite good enough for the Championship.

I'm just a bit taken aback by reaction to not signing a superstar striker in the last 24hrs. Like you say, there's plenty of options for goals and it's almost as if some people already think that Gustav won't be good enough, Abraham will run out of steam, Wilbs can't play longer than 5 mins, Patterson is overlooked and O'Dowda wouldn't know where the goal is.

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

play tomlin as a striker and you push Bobby in to the number 10 role with pack coming into midfield, or you play paterson or the swidish lad, we have so many options but continue to panic......

Panic is a very strong word to use. I don't see panic on here, just people being concerned in a measured and calm way with the opinion that the club has failed to strengthen enough in a key area. Our options are a bit limited and we're relying on some very young inexperienced strikers to see us through in a very tough league.

Almost everyone is very pleased with this window, but yesterday took the shine off. There's nothing wrong with that and people's concerns aren't outrageous. I think it's unfair that you try and paint people as spoilt moaners with no grip on reality on threads about this. All I see is reasoned and measured debate about squad depth.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I know you're point, but as a short term solution- which is all it's likely to be, Tomlin up top with Freeman or Reid behind in Tomlins usual role for a game or two wouldn't be the worst solution.

We could almost play Tomlin as a false nine, and no out and out striker per se. We know Reid, Bryan and Patterson can score goals, so those three behind him, with Tomlin creating would produce plenty of opportunities.

We could, we've got the wingers to play a 4-3-3 now and that could be a solution. Oh well, it's a good chance to get some real minutes into Engvall and Tammy. At least there's no danger of Abraham being recalled by Chelsea for not playing him enough! 

Being a goal threat depends a lot on the midfield behind you. I doubt Vardy would have had the season he did without Drinkwater behind him.

For the first time in ages we have a creative midfield. Gone are the upfield hoofs to a lone striker.

I reckon Engvell will settle right in. He's an international and played for a largeish club, not some rookie. 

10 hours ago, allyolly said:

And still we have our moaners!!

A very good transfer period yes, but best? It will have to go some to beat those heady few days when we signed Billy Mercer, Paul Holland, and anyone else they could fit in their Renault Espace on the way down from Chesterfield.

32 minutes ago, Olé said:

A very good transfer period yes, but best? It will have to go some to beat those heady few days when we signed Billy Mercer, Paul Holland, and anyone else they could fit in their Renault Espace on the way down from Chesterfield.

Point taken! But with the size of Holland's stomach and arse there wasn't much more room to fit anything else in an Espace. 

7 hours ago, allyolly said:

Point taken! But with the size of Holland's stomach and arse there wasn't much more room to fit anything else in an Espace. 

And it was scrunching up in it that apparently bollixed Mercer`s knee. He wanted to stop at Strensham to stretch his legs but the rest wanted to get straight on is what I heard.

Could be wrong though.

Archived