IGNORED

Capacity in a Parallel Universe

Bazooka Joe

Bored by the lack of football today so I've been watching clips of us and others playing in the 1970s/80s.

Given the size of Ashton Gate today compared to what it was before, the 27,000 capacity seems unimpressive and under-stated.

If our revamped stadium was all-standing (apart from say 8,000 seats or so), our capacity would probably be well over 55,000, and if/when the Atyeo is enlarged, it would probably rise be over 65,000.

This assumes that we'd be allowed to cram fans in the way we did before Health & Safety was intoduced (and that we'd have cheaper tickets!)

15 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Is it true that we could fit 9000 fans on the old East End terrace?

Not Sure but as a youngster I stood in the "Open End" packed in like Sardines against the gas, which was said to be a moderately large crowd, I think you could add at least 5000 onto the official attendance that day it was so packed.. 

The biggest attendance I have been part of at AG was when we unveiled the tall floodlights, 36000 against a top first division team of the day, Wolves, I was sat in D Block in the Grandstand (Williams) replacing the old floodlights that we gave to Burton Albion . The tall floodlights were replaced later and were sold to a non league Wigan... 

How times have changed but I think when our upgraded stadium at AG is finished it will of been beyond most supporters wildest dreams. I would be nice to rebuild the Atyeo but lets build the Team first.

3 minutes ago, flipflopcity said:

Not Sure but as a youngster I stood in the "Open End" packed in like Sardines against the gas, which was said to be a moderately large crowd, I think you could add at least 5000 onto the official attendance that day it was so packed.. 

The biggest attendance I have been part of at AG was when we unveiled the tall floodlights, 36000 against a top first division team of the day, Wolves, I was sat in D Block in the Grandstand (Williams) replacing the old floodlights that we gave to Burton Albion . The tall floodlights were replaced later and were sold to a non league Wigan... 

How times have changed but I think when our upgraded stadium at AG is finished it will of been beyond most supporters wildest dreams. I would be nice to rebuild the Atyeo but lets build the Team first.

I was in the East End and my feet hardly touched the floor all match. Wasn't that the match that Danny Bartley made his debut?

Biggest crowd I remember being in was when we played Liverpool in ( I think) our first season in the old First Division. I was right behind the goal in the old Open End and remember Chris Garland falling over as he put one in the net.

I think it was officially 38,000 but could hardly move we were that packed in. A mate told me he got in that end for free when they opened up and let everyone in just before kick-off to prevent a riot. Whether that was true I have no idea but it wasn't unusual for that sort of thing to happen back then.

If SL wants to get 20k every week they should sell the better seats in the Upper Lansdown as a standard thing every week. You don't encourage sales by restricting choice. Quid a kid offers like they are doing for Derby should help but personally I would be annoyed if I had to wait until the last week before I can buy the seats I really want.Especially when they don't guarantee that it will eventually open. Very strange way to encourage sales imo.

August 69 was the first derby game I attended, home to Cardiff. The attendance was over 23,000, but I seem to remember there was still some room to move round on the open end.

I've just checked the history book, 1934-35 FA Cup run. (The first round was against Gillingham even then). The fourth round saw City away to then First division giants Portsmouth and the game ended 0-0. The replay was on a Wednesday afternoon. One hour before kick off 42,885 people were inside the ground, but thousands who were locked out broke down the gates & barriers. Many people reckon up to 50,000 packed in that day. Railings collapsed and fans tumbled on to the pitch. The referee persuaded the fans to stay behind the touch lines and he would allow the game to go ahead.

The fifth round tie was home on a Saturday to first division PNE. The Police were more alert this time and the gates were locked forty minutes before kick off with a crowd of 43,335 paying .................£3,208; an average of 1/6 (7p) each.

30 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

It was ALWAYS said (back in the day) it could hold 15k  !

It WAS a ****** big end, just not steep.

Quite right.

It was deceiving because it wasn't as steep as some other stands at bigger grounds.

When we played Liverpool, Leeds, Manure and Rovers in the 70s, we must have had a good 13-15,000 crammed in there (and in those days it was relatively easy to gain entry without a ticket). The place was packed to the rafters, and I mean this literally.

Older members of this forum will remember people shinning up the girders and sitting on the rafters - much to the annoyance of the Plod who couldn't give them a slap and a kick until they came down when the game ended.

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Is it true that we could fit 9000 fans on the old East End terrace?

In the 1950's the Club advertised Ashton Gate as having "Covered accomodation for 20,000. And that was with the Williams at 2,750 and The Cowshed at 500. So the Covered End held at last 17,000 and maybe more at many times like Liverpool in 1977 with a published gate of over 38,000.

PS. I was in the 42,000 plus crowd for Blackpool FA Cup in 1959. No chance of going out for a pee!

4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Biggest crowd I remember being in was when we played Liverpool in ( I think) our first season in the old First Division. I was right behind the goal in the old Open End and remember Chris Garland falling over as he put one in the net.

I think it was officially 38,000 but could hardly move we were that packed in. A mate told me he got in that end for free when they opened up and let everyone in just before kick-off to prevent a riot. Whether that was true I have no idea but it wasn't unusual for that sort of thing to happen back then.

I was in the open End that night too and it is the only time I've ever been in a football crowd and literally could not move because of the crush.  What a night that was, beating the newly-crowned league champions and giving ourselves an unlikely chance of staying up.

Remember an August Bank Holiday league game against Cardiff on a Saturday afternoon in the 50s.  Father and grandfather had seats I squeezed in between East End and New Stand in the corner but was helped forward in order to see. View was nearer a 50k crowd than 40k

But memory may be playing false; No access at moment to my Coty reference books

Anyone else remember?

17 hours ago, Ashtonboy said:

I was in the East End and my feet hardly touched the floor all match. 

16 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

14 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

The place was packed to the rafters, and I mean this literally

And the best thing about all that.....not one bugger complaining about the choice of food options across the concessions village.

13 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Remember an August Bank Holiday league game against Cardiff on a Saturday afternoon in the 50s.  Father and grandfather had seats I squeezed in between East End and New Stand in the corner but was helped forward in order to see. View was nearer a 50k crowd than 40k

But memory may be playing false; No access at moment to my Coty reference books

Anyone else remember?

Just looked up in my David Woods books.

Never played at home to Cardiff in August in 1950's. Only three games at home.

Easter Monday 7/4/1958 25,453. City won 2-0

Boxing Day 26/12/1958 27,266 City lost 2-3

Sat 16/01/1960 17,952 City lost 0-3.

23 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

If SL wants to get 20k every week they should sell the better seats in the Upper Lansdown as a standard thing every week. You don't encourage sales by restricting choice. Quid a kid offers like they are doing for Derby should help but personally I would be annoyed if I had to wait until the last week before I can buy the seats I really want.Especially when they don't guarantee that it will eventually open. Very strange way to encourage sales imo.

Remember it well. Garland scored two

Archived