IGNORED

Flints post match interview

Robbored

35 minutes ago, Robin 101 said:

Anyone suggesting he should have been dropped needs to look at themselves. The way he talked about his "week from hell" tells you all you need to know about the man. Cares so much about the club its incredible to see really.

Not sure I agree that people suggesting a player who recently has been out of form should be dropped need to 'take a look at themselves'. It's totally reasonable, especially when we have more depth now.

Very glad he played well though, when he's on form he's a great asset at both ends of the pitch. 

On 24 September 2016 at 19:48, Robbored said:

Fantastic reaction to Adam Bakers question about his goal today and about his recent performances. What a top bloke he is.

And for the benefit for those of us who were in Fulham and didn't hear what was said...?

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

And for the benefit for those of us who were in Fulham and didn't hear what was said...?

He said:

"I know Dolly has the hot's for me and the feeling is mutual, however I would not take on BigTone in a fight to the death over her hand so I will bow out of the contest graciously.  I have had a week from hell while I agonise over this decision but it is for the best"

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

He was very amusing.

AB asked him how he felt after scoring. AF replied "poacher" grinning from ear to ear and that he felt he was due a goal. AB also metioned the difficult week he'd had and AF relied "week from hell you mean"

What a top bloke. 

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He was very amusing.

AB asked him how he felt after scoring. AF replied "poacher" grinning from ear to ear and that he felt he was due a goal. AB also metioned the difficult week he'd had and AF relied "week from hell you mean"

What a top bloke. 

Thank you, yes typical Flinty. Always prepared to stand up and be counted, well it's difficult for him to hide isn't it. We saw him after the game, someone congratulated him on his goal and he did raise a smile and say it was 'about time'

8 hours ago, Robin 101 said:

Anyone suggesting he should have been dropped needs to look at themselves. The way he talked about his "week from hell" tells you all you need to know about the man. Cares so much about the club its incredible to see really.

So because he says nice things he shouldn't be dropped? Obviously a call was made, he wasn't dropped and played well but having a good attitude shouldn't guarantee you playing time. Never questioned his work ethic, attitude and passion for the club but if you're not playing well, you shouldn't be exempt of fighting to keep your place. 

10 hours ago, Robin 101 said:

I absolutely love Flint.  He's a leader and an utter asset to the club, both in the way he conducts himself and the way he motivates and supports other players.  He was fantastic in both Fulham games. 

But I want us to be in a position where all players know that their place is under threat if they play badly and that there are good players ready to come in and take their place.  Once Moore settles a bit and Ekstrand gets to full fitness, there is absolutely no reason why Flint or Magnusson should feel their place in the side is safe.  It seems pretty clear Flint would be the first to hold his hands up and say he's not played well enough in some recent matches and of course his place should be under threat if that happens.  That said, he's clearly risen to the challenge and dealt with that pressure fantastically and good for him. 

I was one of the people that thought he needed to be dropped, but not because he's not good enough. We have good depth in the squad now, and if we're not going to rotate then we've wasted money on potentially solid players.

Additionally, sometimes the best thing for a player is to sit out a bit. If someone is struggling, some time away from the spotlight is a great way for that player to calm down and come back fitter and more prepared. 

Flint is a future Bristol City captain in my eyes, but if he (and any other player) fails to perform I would hope that LJ would bench him.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

He was very amusing.

What a top bloke. 

I thought he wasn't happy here?!

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure I agree that people suggesting a player who recently has been out of form should be dropped need to 'take a look at themselves'. It's totally reasonable, especially when we have more depth now.

Very glad he played well though, when he's on form he's a great asset at both ends of the pitch. 

When was he ever out of form, he made some mistakes that cost us but his overall game has been very good overall. There is a clear difference between mistake and form.

41 minutes ago, screech said:

When was he ever out of form, he made some mistakes that cost us but his overall game has been very good overall. There is a clear difference between mistake and form.

I think the other thing is that the reality is that, for all his strengths, Flint is always going to be the sort of player who is vulnerable if a fast skillful striker manages to isolate him and run at him, That's not intended as a criticism - all defenders at this level have strengths and weak spots and Flint brings a huge amount to the team but part of it has to be about how we defend as a team as a whole to enable our defence to play to their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. 

51 minutes ago, screech said:

Mistakes definitely should contribute to overall form though. If your saying miscommunication with the keeper, calamitous defending leading to an own goal and a poor, blinded back-header to the keeper over the course of 3 games doesn't count towards form because they are "mistakes" then I don't know what should.

What are your thoughts on O'Donnell being dropped? Surely that was just a mistake.

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I get your point and im as glad as anyone that we have competition throughout the squad. My only point was the way to go about things is not to drop players based on a couple of mistakes. This doesnt encourage players to work harder just makes them nervous on the pitch and more likely to make further mistakes.

Competition yes, but anyone making an error being dropped isnt the way to go about things.

Youre right though there was no need for the take a look at themselves comment, everyones got an opinion and I wouldnt want it any other way 

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

So because he says nice things he shouldn't be dropped? Obviously a call was made, he wasn't dropped and played well but having a good attitude shouldn't guarantee you playing time. Never questioned his work ethic, attitude and passion for the club but if you're not playing well, you shouldn't be exempt of fighting to keep your place. 

Two unrelated points.

12 hours ago, Robin 101 said:

I have looked at myself:yes:

3 hours ago, Robin 101 said:

I get your point and im as glad as anyone that we have competition throughout the squad. My only point was the way to go about things is not to drop players based on a couple of mistakes. This doesnt encourage players to work harder just makes them nervous on the pitch and more likely to make further mistakes.

Competition yes, but anyone making an error being dropped isnt the way to go about things.

Youre right though there was no need for the take a look at themselves comment, everyones got an opinion and I wouldnt want it any other way 

Two unrelated points.

I don't think it's unrelated because it's how I've interpreted your original statement. Forgive me if I'm wrong. Not just you either. Dropping Flint or not is an topic that no one will have the same opinion on. I think mistakes and form are synonymous. If he's not making mistakes he's in good form. The mistakes are errors he's making that he usually wouldn't. I think many would call that a drop in form. 

Personally think his mistakes came at a good time because Moore isn't ready for a big role yet and Ekstrand needs to shake a lot of rust off. Doesn't make Flint a bad player but in my opinion he gets a little too much credit for our teams success(and a bit too much stick for struggles at times). It's almost the complete oppose of Kodjia. A 20 goal scorer that we let go and many weren't sad to see go. Flint who isn't as stellar at his position as JK was his but because he wears his heart on his sleeve gets the benefit much more than others. Solid championship player but not the big time player some make out to be. 

36 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

Oh Aden Flint  magic, 
He wears a magic hat,
And if you throw a brick at him
He heads the f****r back....
He heads them to the left
He heads them to the right
And if we win promotion...
We'll sing this song all night!  :sing:

That's not bad at all.  I'd like even more if we heard it at AG.

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't think it's unrelated because it's how I've interpreted your original statement. Forgive me if I'm wrong. Not just you either. Dropping Flint or not is an topic that no one will have the same opinion on. I think mistakes and form are synonymous. If he's not making mistakes he's in good form. The mistakes are errors he's making that he usually wouldn't. I think many would call that a drop in form. 

Personally think his mistakes came at a good time because Moore isn't ready for a big role yet and Ekstrand needs to shake a lot of rust off. Doesn't make Flint a bad player but in my opinion he gets a little too much credit for our teams success(and a bit too much stick for struggles at times). It's almost the complete oppose of Kodjia. A 20 goal scorer that we let go and many weren't sad to see go. Flint who isn't as stellar at his position as JK was his but because he wears his heart on his sleeve gets the benefit much more than others. Solid championship player but not the big time player some make out to be. 

Joe - Supporters always have , and always will , appreciate and relate to players that are proud , or at least appear to be , proud to play for our club and wear the shirt.

By the same token , rightly or wrongly these players have and wil always perhaps receive a little more latitude when things are not going so well.

For example - Glyn Riley was no Aguero but you will struggle to find a supporter who saw him play that would speak about him other than in glowing terms and with affection.

Same with supporters at all clubs

:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the other thing is that the reality is that, for all his strengths, Flint is always going to be the sort of player who is vulnerable if a fast skillful striker manages to isolate him and run at him, That's not intended as a criticism - all defenders at this level have strengths and weak spots and Flint brings a huge amount to the team but part of it has to be about how we defend as a team as a whole to enable our defence to play to their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. 

That is always a problem for larger built centre halves. When they come up against a smaller quicker, livelier striker, they know they are in for a torrid time. Jack Connor always said that he hated the little centre forwards and time hasn't altered that.

He and Aden are very similar in that they occasionally make errors but 99.9% of the time they are rock solid performers.

Archived