IGNORED

What a day out!

Shtanley

Haven't done it before so thought I'd give my ratings for the team. A great away match and a lovely atmosphere. Fulham fans just seemed demoralised as soon as the first goal went in. Let me know if I'm horribly wrong etc.

Fielding 7- Not much to do but was quite good with distribution, one great reaction save first half after shot came through a crowd.

little 7- Needed more help but defended well. Helped start a few counters.

Flint 7- Won almost everything in the air and great to see him get a goal. Something about a Flint goal gets me so much more excited  

Magnusson 6.5- Excellent long range switches today, struggled against Martin in the air  

Bryan 8- Great tackling and pressure from him. Great assist for Flint and attacked well  

Pack 7- Controlled the game at times, won many 50/50s and calmed the team down when needed.

Reid 9- Everywhere, so many loose balls he won and started an un-countable amount of counters. Fantastic goal and could've had another screamer if not for their keeper. Calm on the ball and loads of beautiful interplay between him and Tomlin.

Paterson 8- Noticed today how hard he works, always keen to press their fullbacks and loads of tackles. Made one superb block first half too. Broke often and great assist for 1st goal. Deserved a goal which was excellently blocked 2nd half.

Tomlin 9- When he plays well boy does he play well, been saying on here and  to friends how he hasn't been as good as I had hoped. Today he was exceptional, signature flicks and switches but he had that extra cutting edge. Wonderful assist for Freeman and could've had at least 1 goal. 

Freeman 8- I'm not a fan of Freeman, I think he delays things and often doesn't contribute enough in the final third. Today his workrate and defensive contribution was outstanding, broke a lot and was neat and tidy all day. Must admit I thought he missed his chance for his goal but clearly he meant it to go in off the post. A different player to the one I've been accustom too in recent months.

Abraham 8- Wow is this kid's movement  insane, he was a tad lonely at times but won lots of 50/50s balls off the defender. Glad it's only a dead leg because every game he starts you'd back him to get a goal. Bob Taylor should be biting his nails because his 34 goal record is under threat even at this early stage.

SUBS

Wilbraham 6- A classic Wilbraham cameo, gluey boots as the ball stuck to him a lot of the time, allowed the 3 attacking midfielders to join him and did well.

Odowda 7- Very, very lively, some lovely touches and tricks. Great awareness for the Flint goal to pass outside to Bryan.

brownhill 6- Came on and did soundly, some great triangles with him, Pack and others.

The referee- 0, why was Scott Parker not sent off?! Fair enough he finally gave them a red that they deserved but should've been more heavy on the bookings.

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Haven't done it before so thought I'd give my ratings for the team. A great away match and a lovely atmosphere. Fulham fans just seemed demoralised as soon as the first goal went in. Let me know if I'm horribly wrong etc.

Fielding 7- Not much to do but was quite good with distribution, one great reaction save first half after shot came through a crowd.

Flint 7- Won almost everything in the air and great to see him get a goal. Something about a Flint goal gets me so much more excited  

Magnusson 6.5- Excellent long range switches today, struggled against Martin in the air  

Bryan 8- Great tackling and pressure from him. Great assist for Flint and attacked well  

Pack 7- Controlled the game at times, won many 50/50s and calmed the team down when needed.

Reid 9- Everywhere, so many loose balls he won and started an un-countable amount of counters. Fantastic goal and could've had another screamer if not for their keeper. Calm on the ball and loads of beautiful interplay between him and Tomlin.

Paterson 8- Noticed today how hard he works, always keen to press their fullbacks and loads of tackles. Made one superb block first half too. Broke often and great assist for 1st goal. Deserved a goal which was excellently blocked 2nd half.

Tomlin 9- When he plays well boy does he play well, been saying on here and  to friends how he hasn't been as good as I had hoped. Today he was exceptional, signature flicks and switches but he had that extra cutting edge. Wonderful assist for Freeman and could've had at least 1 goal. 

Freeman 8- I'm not a fan of Freeman, I think he delays things and often doesn't contribute enough in the final third. Today his workrate and defensive contribution was outstanding, broke a lot and was neat and tidy all day. Must admit I thought he missed his chance for his goal but clearly he meant it to go in off the post. A different player to the one I've been accustom too in recent months.

Abraham 8- Wow is this kid's movement  insane, he was a tad lonely at times but won lots of 50/50s balls off the defender. Glad it's only a dead leg because every game he starts you'd back him to get a goal. Bob Taylor should be biting his nails because his 34 goal record is under threat even at this early stage.

SUBS

Wilbraham 6- A classic Wilbraham cameo, gluey boots as the ball stuck to him a lot of the time, allowed the 3 attacking midfielders to join him and did well.

Odowda 7- Very, very lively, some lovely touches and tricks. Great awareness for the Flint goal to pass outside to Bryan.

brownhill 6- Came on and did soundly, some great triangles with him, Pack and others.

The referee- 0, why was Scott Parker not sent off?! Fair enough he finally gave them a red that they deserved but should've been more heavy on the bookings.

Good write up but just one small point it was Paterson who crossed for Flints tap in and not Joe Bryan. 

Back home, one of those great away days.

On the way there I did think to myself a perfect result would be a 2-0 win, a clean sheet, with Freeman and Flint scoring. Not often my dream result is bettered!

Would not be fair to say it was a 'we played them off the park for ninety minutes' 4-0. It was not really until the third went in that I was convinced we were going to win. What I did like was how we defended as a team. We kept our shape, forced them through the centre, and whilst at the time they seemed to have a lot of pressure, I only remember really one good save, and what seemed at the time a decent penalty shout.

Last four away games we have scored 2-2-2-4. We have goals in us for sure, and what today showed is what we always have known - a team in this league that defends solidly, and does not give away stupid goals, is hard to beat. Add to that the ability to score and well...we are allowed to dream right?

In a perfect world, we would have held on to more of the ball in the first half, but not going to moan at a 4-0. Tomlin, Reid,  Tammy, all cracking today, but no real obvious weak link. All played their part. 

Fulham fans most likely felt a little like we did at the start of last season - 'well yes, for large periods we played quite well, how did we lose quite so badly?'

If we finish mid table, or a little better, it is not going to be on the back of 0-0s. That will do me.

1 minute ago, mattjtsmith said:

Pack was phonemenal today! Worked so so hard. Criticised him in the past but absolutely flawless. No way a 7! 

He was great today, maybe you're right a 7 is too low. Made some crunching tackles, certainly a captain's performance. 

54 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

SUBS

Fielding 8 he made a superb save early on that had it gone in could have changed the game. And another in the second. Did very little wrong and kept a clean sheet. Pack 8 did a superb job of holding on his own and his one touch stuff today was excellent. Reid 8. Great second half but wasn't so good in the first and was caught in possession 2 or 3 times. Patterson 9 was good both halves. My motm the run and cross for the first was great. Tomlin 9 close second for motm for his contribution in the second goal and all the second half, otherwise I agree. 

I was sitting with Fulham season ticket holders and I will give you their view!

Bobby Reid was mom. Nice on the ball started moves and didn't waste the ball. However Tomlin at times was unplayable. Waltzed through their defence almost at will and pulled out an array of tricks flicks and nudges that showed a Jacki style gap in class. 

Without going through the entirety of comments, we were much better than a team that to their credit always tried to play football. How Parker got away with it no one could tell but they were buggered without him!

Brilliant Atmosphere, brilliant performance and a brilliant result. I thought every player played well today and Reid, Tomlin and Patterson were superb

My Man of the match goes to Marlon Pack, I thought he was immense today, great tackling, strong in the air and oozed quality on the ball/passing the ball.

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just on the train bk to BTM. Away days don't come much better than that. Atmosphere in the ground was magnificent. Boat before the game magic. Topped off with as good as away win as you'll ever see. Buzz.

Unless you went to Bradford...! ;) 

9 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

Brilliant Atmosphere, brilliant performance and a brilliant result. I thought every player played well today and Reid, Tomlin and Patterson were superb

My Man of the match goes to Marlon Pack, I thought he was immense today, great tackling, strong in the air and oozed quality on the ball/passing the ball.

I agree wholeheartedly 

Having stayed overnight in London I'm now on my way back...and still buzzing!

What impresses me is the fact that we played so well as a team, yes we were sparked by Tammy's fabulous finish, but we showed quality throughout.

For much of the first half I was worried as Fulham looked a v decent team passing around well. Our defence stood up to it magnificently and that was important.

Second half we played some wonderful flowing football. The midfield were in control & we looked as though we could score whenever we went forward.

The fact that we have such strength in depth gives me much optimism for the future.

Paterson was sensational, Nottingham Forest reserves must be some team. 

How we just pick a player like that "off the street" without any bother or competition even from his prior club must be up there as one of life's mysteries with Tom Cruise, the Bermuda Triangle, and how working in the Bristol Rovers ticket office is advertised as a full-time job. Saw glimpses on his debut as sub at Rotherham and yet again just a great little footballer, movement, passing, fantastic composure.

Easy to say, but honestly for half an hour yesterday that was plain and simple the best I've seen City play in 25 years a City fan. To qualify that I would point out as contenders that Boxing Day game against Millwall in the 90's where we battered them from the off, some of the stuff under GJ in Marvin Elliott's first season, and the games to close out promotion two years ago (Orient A, Swindon H, Bradford A).

I think we finally saw the working blueprint for LJ's football and my god was it brilliant. I've commented a bunch of times this season from away games about us not playing so well but clearly trying to play a football that involves an overload of passes outside the box, a degree of patience to work the opportunities to shoot. Today was this game but played with pace and purpose and confidence to shoot.

People will look at the result and assume Fulham were **** (and to be fair their strikers seem to have based their game entirely on Junior Bent) but in the first half once we scored (my preparation for which somewhat clouded by the ridiculous stewarding) they had absolutely run the game for 45 and other City teams of old would have folded. Not only did we not, we soaked it up then battered them second half.

The football after the break was out of this world. The way LJ/MA have built this team I think there's a belief running through these guys that if they pass to a teammate they won't end up seeing a shanked long ball into row Z of the Matt Hill/Bradley Orr variety. These are all ball-playing footballers to a man and the confidence in one another on the ball is obvious. Pass, move, pass - it's okay, I'll get it back.

For half an hour yesterday we terrified them. Running at opponents, faultlessly accurate passing and decision making on the ball (really what has let down the LJ brand football in a few prior matches) and players always looking for the ball or prepared to take on defenders, to the extent that wave upon wave of attack developed thoughtfully (and quickly) into clear chances rather than fizzling out needlessly.

I nearly expected to see more Freeman bashing on here of the like we got last week because "it's all step overs and no end product" and to be fair, it was for an hour yesterday, but I think people fail to see what he achieves just by occupying defenders and trying to take on opponents, even if it doesn't come off. He did the hard work of grinding down their full backs yesterday, I was so pleased he got his goal.

It's all been said about Tammy. Tomlin, best game of the season yesterday by a country mile, men against boys, some of the touches and ideas oozed class. Probably not MOM but not far off and some of the wizardry is up there with the very best of Jacki. Fulham could not live with him. As with others on here (and I've said it before this season) best player on the pitch is Bobby Reid. We've got some player.

Honestly it's comedy some of the reasons people have given in the past about why this guy wouldn't make it. You got a comprehensive rebuttal of the lot yesterday. "Too small and lightweight" - ran about 60 yards yesterday to close down a striker who was through on goal, muscled him off the ball; one touch passing in every thing we did well (as he was at Rotherham) and of course yet again great finishing.

I've always thought Bobby was the poor relation of Joe Bryan in how fans treat him (for some reason, Bristol boy that he is, he isn't "one of our own", and the chants aren't sung with quite so much relish) but yesterday there was one moment when his name being sung was about the loudest thing heard all day - and well deserved it was. I'm sure LJ is proud such efforts are rewarded by this acknowledgement.

Agree with most of your ratings, none from me as I really don't know where to start when our baseline performance was an 8 or more, and for many of the players going forward, we're talking 9s and 10s. They simply did everything right and that LJ will have asked for. Fulham are by no means the best team in the division but they're also no mugs, we will beat 75% of the division playing as we did yesterday.

It's an absolute privilege to see this team and this club gel. Tell your friends, tell your co-workers. We should be selling out games home and away - it's enthralling. In a moment of hangover-inspired giddy optimism: if you knew you had a Guardiola-era Barcelona on your doorstep (out-footballing opponents) you'd probably pop down to see them. We have that AND it's a young team that will keep growing.

And breathe.

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

How we just pick a player like that "off the street" without any bother or competition even from his prior club must be up there as one of life's mysteries with Tom Cruise, the Bermuda Triangle, and how working in the Bristol Rovers ticket office is advertised as a full-time job. Saw glimpses on his debut as sub at Rotherham and yet again just a great little footballer, movement, passing, fantastic composure.

Easy to say, but honestly for half an hour yesterday that was plain and simple the best I've seen City play in 25 years a City fan. To qualify that I would point out as contenders that Boxing Day game against Millwall in the 90's where we battered them from the off, some of the stuff under GJ in Marvin Elliott's first season, and the games to close out promotion two years ago (Orient A, Swindon H, Bradford A).

I think we finally saw the working blueprint for LJ's football and my god was it brilliant. I've commented a bunch of times this season from away games about us not playing so well but clearly trying to play a football that involves an overload of passes outside the box, a degree of patience to work the opportunities to shoot. Today was this game but played with pace and purpose and confidence to shoot.

People will look at the result and assume Fulham were **** (and to be fair their strikers seem to have based their game entirely on Junior Bent) but in the first half once we scored (my preparation for which somewhat clouded by the ridiculous stewarding) they had absolutely run the game for 45 and other City teams of old would have folded. Not only did we not, we soaked it up then battered them second half.

The football after the break was out of this world. The way LJ/MA have built this team I think there's a belief running through these guys that if they pass to a teammate they won't end up seeing a shanked long ball into row Z of the Matt Hill/Bradley Orr variety. These are all ball-playing footballers to a man and the confidence in one another on the ball is obvious. Pass, move, pass - it's okay, I'll get it back.

For half an hour yesterday we terrified them. Running at opponents, faultlessly accurate passing and decision making on the ball (really what has let down the LJ brand football in a few prior matches) and players always looking for the ball or prepared to take on defenders, to the extent that wave upon wave of attack developed thoughtfully (and quickly) into clear chances rather than fizzling out needlessly.

I nearly expected to see more Freeman bashing on here of the like we got last week because "it's all step overs and no end product" and to be fair, it was for an hour yesterday, but I think people fail to see what he achieves just by occupying defenders and trying to take on opponents, even if it doesn't come off. He did the hard work of grinding down their full backs yesterday, I was so pleased he got his goal.

It's all been said about Tammy. Tomlin, best game of the season yesterday by a country mile, men against boys, some of the touches and ideas oozed class. Probably not MOM but not far off and some of the wizardry is up there with the very best of Jacki. Fulham could not live with him. As with others on here (and I've said it before this season) best player on the pitch is Bobby Reid. We've got some player.

Honestly it's comedy some of the reasons people have given in the past about why this guy wouldn't make it. You got a comprehensive rebuttal of the lot yesterday. "Too small and lightweight" - ran about 60 yards yesterday to close down a striker who was through on goal, muscled him off the ball; one touch passing in every thing we did well (as he was at Rotherham) and of course yet again great finishing.

I've always thought Bobby was the poor relation of Joe Bryan in how fans treat him (for some reason, Bristol boy that he is, he isn't "one of our own", and the chants aren't sung with quite so much relish) but yesterday there was one moment when his name being sung was about the loudest thing heard all day - and well deserved it was. I'm sure LJ is proud such efforts are rewarded by this acknowledgement.

Agree with most of your ratings, none from me as I really don't know where to start when our baseline performance was an 8 or more, and for many of the players going forward, we're talking 9s and 10s. They simply did everything right and that LJ will have asked for. Fulham are by no means the best team in the division but they're also no mugs, we will beat 75% of the division playing as we did yesterday.

It's an absolute privilege to see this team and this club gel. Tell your friends, tell your co-workers. We should be selling out games home and away - it's enthralling. In a moment of hangover-inspired giddy optimism: if you knew you had a Guardiola-era Barcelona on your doorstep (out-footballing opponents) you'd probably pop down to see them. We have that AND it's a young team that will keep growing.

And breathe.

Fantastic post Olé

27 minutes ago, Olé said:

And breathe.

Apart from that, fairly average afternoon? :-)

15 hours ago, Shtanley said:

SUBS

Paterson my man of match......so much energy,running at defenders,putting a foot in,two assists and unlucky not to score...outstanding effort...maybe its the understandable 'Tammy love-in deflecting the eye,but surprised there isn't more praise around for Paterson..Fantastic,astute signing.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Paterson my man of match......so much energy,running at defenders,putting a foot in,two assists and unlucky not to score...outstanding effort...maybe its the understandable 'Tammy love-in deflecting the eye,but surprised there isn't more praise around for Paterson..Fantastic,astute signing.

From what I`ve seen up to now he does look the real deal. Skilful, pacy and direct. I think he could do great things for us and looks a steal at what we are (allegedly) said to have paid for him.

17 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Some very good marks in this thread for Lee Tomlin, which i agree with, but just reading the local Sunday Independant newspaper, they gave him 2 stars which relates to "poor". Not too sure they were at the correct venue!!

Agree Tomlin played well. His best game this season I reckon. Tomlin was MOM according to the Sunday Times. Even journalists have differing opinions I guess!

I can't do ratings either as I can't split them, I've posted elsewhere it was just about the most perfect TEAM performance that I've ever seen.

I don't think snyone put a foot wrong and if they did they,or a teammate,  put it right. Tammy, well he was Tammy, Tomlin did indeed play the best he has this season, Pack had a great Captain's game, Freeman worked hard, Bobby certainly stepping up to one who you'd have in your team more regularly.

If I had to pick just one for MOTM I too would pick Paterson, always driving the ball forward with accuracy and also putting his body on the line when needed.

Archived