IGNORED

Sam Allardyce

North London Red

10 minutes ago, North London Red said:

I'm not so sure about that. I would object to a foreign manager and plenty of the other England fans I know would too. To me it completely defeats the object of international football if richer countries can pay huge salaries to attract coaches or managers (and in some cases players) from other countries. One of the good things about international football is that poorer countries can (and regularly do) beat richer countries, whereas money is king in the club game (the odd anomaly aside, e.g. Leicester City). Work with what you've got - 'the best of ours against the best of yours' - and if that means the best we can do is Steve McClaren or Kevin Keegan, so be it. 

Well, there are bloody loads of countries that do it, is all I can say!

And why is a foreign-born manager who has worked much of his career in the UK, less suited than, say, Roy Hodgson, who has managed more foreign clubs than English ones?

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He left Bolton in 2007. His glory days are long behind him.

Recent record: just about kept Sunderland up, but the club's still a basket case; underperformed with West Ham.

Yes he played a role in bringing forward sports science when at the Trotters (although fans there will tell you others had more to do with it), but yes, dull long-ball football is from the Ark.

How is the fact he left Bolton in 2007 relevant?! He took his methods with him to other clubs.

I don't agree he underperformed at West Ham, he got them promoted from The Championship and then took them to a 10th place finish in The Premier League straightaway.

He took over at Sunderland when they were in 19th place in The Premier League and kept them up. 

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't agree he underperformed at West Ham, he got them promoted from The Championship and then took them to a 10th place finish in The Premier League straightaway.

He took over at Sunderland when they were in 19th place in The Premier League and kept them up. 

Hmmm. Where did West Ham finish after he departed?

We'll agree to disagree, but I'm not a fan of the bloke. There are plenty of reports of boorish behaviour too. It's always a bit sad when you see an old fat bloke trying to be "one of the lads".

Lets not all get sanctimonious over these 'outings'...is there anyone on here, that actually believes football in this country is whiter than white?

When you see the money involved...it's big business. So many people want a slice of that pie.

It's just like any other big business in the 'real world'.

World Leaders, Bankers, Politicians....right down to your brickie throwing a bung to the QS or Project manager to get the next contract.

It happens in all businesses, all over the world...it's been like that since business started.

So lets no all start pointing the finger... Football is in the spot light and the Telegraph want to sell papers. Why else do the media go after every England manager?

If they want real scandal...go visit Italy or the majority of East European, South American or African Clubs and Agents etc.

It's a total non scandal...because we all know deep down it goes on.

As for Big Sam...having met him on various occasions, and sat next to him all evening and chatted about football at a Charity event in Manchester, he is far from stupid when it comes to football. Through a relationship, an Agent who dealt with Spanish and Portuguese players, often brought him around the house. His knowledge of the game and how he is portrayed in the media is far from the truth...he is very forward thinking and an innovator. He just looks and comes across as 'old school'.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, spudski said:

As for Big Sam...having met him on various occasions, and sat next to him all evening and chatted about football at a Charity event in Manchester, he is far from stupid when it comes to football. 

Yet clearly stupid enough to get himself into this situation, and let's be honest with his background it maybe shouldn't come as a surprise?

With high profile positions comes the responsibility to act within certain boundaries !

The simple thing if he can't do that, then get someone that will

Not everyone in the game is corrupt, but as @WolfOfWestStreet said above with recent problems with FIFA / UEFA, it is not only SA's reputation now going up in smoke it is the FA's too, and in the current climate in sport this wont be tolerated without someone getting the blame

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The FA took a very hgh moral stance against the corruption at Fifa, publicly backing corruption investigations against blatter.

For them to sweep this aside would be seen as very hypocritical imo. 

They won't. He'll be gone.

41 minutes ago, spudski said:

Lets not all get sanctimonious over these 'outings'...is there anyone on here, that actually believes football in this country is whiter than white?

When you see the money involved...it's big business. So many people want a slice of that pie.

It's just like any other big business in the 'real world'.

World Leaders, Bankers, Politicians....right down to your brickie throwing a bung to the QS or Project manager to get the next contract.

It happens in all businesses, all over the world...it's been like that since business started.

So lets no all start pointing the finger... Football is in the spot light and the Telegraph want to sell papers. Why else do the media go after every England manager?

If they want real scandal...go visit Italy or the majority of East European, South American or African Clubs and Agents etc.

It's a total non scandal...because we all know deep down it goes on.

As for Big Sam...having met him on various occasions, and sat next to him all evening and chatted about football at a Charity event in Manchester, he is far from stupid when it comes to football. Through a relationship, an Agent who dealt with Spanish and Portuguese players, often brought him around the house. His knowledge of the game and how he is portrayed in the media is far from the truth...he is very forward thinking and an innovator. He just looks and comes across as 'old school'.

I'm sure that's all true but it doesn't make right and if you get caught you would have to face the consequences.

The FA put themselves out there as custodians of the game and was very critical of FIFA so I'm sure they feel embarrassed by this and that is why I think Big Sam will go so the FA doesn't loses its credibility.

Telegraph now reporting on Allardyce moaning about HMRC. Reading what he says it's not much more than that - a moan about tax over dinner.  Who hasn't done that?  But obviously the paper is dressing this up by harking back to his investments into tax avoidance (not evasion) schemes.

Telegraph really scraping the barrel there.

Sam will go because the FA will s**t themselves and feel they have to cut him loose.

I'm more intrigued by the promise of revealing actual concrete bribes for fixing transfers. 

14 hours ago, Olé said:

But isn't that just the Telegraph's deliberately sensational spin on what he's done? From his actual quotes I thought he only commented on the countries where it still goes on. To me that doesn't undermine the FA rules and there isn't any suggestion he was advocating it or suggesting it could work in the FA's jurisdiction. Perhaps I've misread it but anytime the only quotes published are a long way short of the shock-horror claimed, I have a hard time believing the 'accused' is anywhere near as evil or duplicitous as a story claims. Very very expensive honey trap with a storyline that is a long way beyond what was actually said. Even by Fleet Street standards, seems like a hell of a reach, but hey ho it sells papers, and if anyone thinks these papers have any other objective.... they don't.

Agreed. Seeing as this was an on going investigation lasting over 10 months, it clearly didn't start off as a story out to get the England manager either. The Telegraph must have been rubbing their hands the moment his England position was announced though just to help sensationalise the story.  

Archived