IGNORED

Sam Allardyce

North London Red

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Yet clearly stupid enough to get himself into this situation, and let's be honest with his background it maybe shouldn't come as a surprise?

With high profile positions comes the responsibility to act within certain boundaries !

The simple thing if he can't do that, then get someone that will

Not everyone in the game is corrupt, but as @WolfOfWestStreet said above with recent problems with FIFA / UEFA, it is not only SA's reputation now going up in smoke it is the FA's too, and in the current climate in sport this wont be tolerated without someone getting the blame

We don't know the circumstances that led up to the meetings he was at. Hence his 'team' being with him. Just because you are the manager of England or of any club or a Professional footballer...it doesn't stop you doing other business, as long as it doesn't interfere with other employed work and all above board. The majority of Professionals in the game have 'other interests' all over the world.

As for the FA...don't believe everything you read about them, or how they portray themselves to be. Having been to FA functions in the past, and met some of their representatives, I'd say they were some of the slimiest individuals I've ever met. Spiv like comes to mind.

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

I'm sure that's all true but it doesn't make right and if you get caught you would have to face the consequences.

The FA put themselves out there as custodians of the game and was very critical of FIFA so I'm sure they feel embarrassed by this and that is why I think Big Sam will go so the FA doesn't loses its credibility.

From what has been published so far fella, I can't see what he has been 'caught' doing that is wrong. He's actually quoted as saying he would have to pass any outside dealings with the FA first. He's also quoted as saying he wouldn't get involved with any wrong practice's.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

From what has been published so far fella, I can't see what he has been 'caught' doing that is wrong. He's actually quoted as saying he would have to pass any outside dealings with the FA first. He's also quoted as saying he wouldn't get involved with any wrong practice's.

Giving advice on camera about how to circumnavigate FA rules. It's not illegal, but he is directly undermining the people who pay his wages. Untenable position IMO.

8 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Giving advice on camera about how to circumnavigate FA rules. It's not illegal, but he is directly undermining the people who pay his wages. Untenable position IMO.

He is England manager and with that should come some extra responsibility for the good of game.

He is on £3 million doing the job he always wanted surly that's enough , so why do he feel the need to attend these shandy meetings. He come across now as greedy.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well, there are bloody loads of countries that do it, is all I can say!

And why is a foreign-born manager who has worked much of his career in the UK, less suited than, say, Roy Hodgson, who has managed more foreign clubs than English ones?

Why is a foreign born manager less suited? The clue is in the name. InterNATIONAL football. If you have a foreign manager, why not pay millions to naturalise a load of foreign players too? Where does it end?

You are quite correct to say loads of countries do it, but that doesn't make it right (to me at least). 

18 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If he had any decency at all he would already have fallen on his sword.  A complete disgrace.

"For all the good you have done in the name of God, go" Chamberlain was told in May 1940.  The same applies now.

He would do well to save his reputation, but if there's a sniff of staying in the job there's no chance he'll go.

And besides, since he needs his £400k payday so much, the severance package will be vital to putting food on his family's table.

11 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Why is a foreign born manager less suited? The clue is in the name. InterNATIONAL football. If you have a foreign manager, why not pay millions to naturalise a load of foreign players too? Where does it end?

You are quite correct to say loads of countries do it, but that doesn't make it right (to me at least). 

Hmm. When we get on to the subject of international eligibility, there's Pandora's box in itself!  Not like England have never played foreign-born players and as for the other "home nations" well!

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Hmmm. Where did West Ham finish after he departed?

We'll agree to disagree, but I'm not a fan of the bloke. There are plenty of reports of boorish behaviour too. It's always a bit sad when you see an old fat bloke trying to be "one of the lads".

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree.

Not sure how West Ham's record after Sam left them is his fault though, but like blaming Fergie for David Moyes' reign at Man Utd...

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Hmm. When we get on to the subject of international eligibility, there's Pandora's box in itself!  Not like England have never played foreign-born players and as for the other "home nations" well!

Very true, although I think it's fair to differentiate between someone like Terry Butcher (born in Singapore but qualified for England through parentage) and Sven Goran Eriksson, who would never have qualified as a player and who hadn't ever worked in the UK before taking the England job. But you are right, there are certainly grey areas here. 

And you've reminded me of a good trivia question...something like 12 players have played for England at full senior level since 1975 who were born outside England (I would need to check the full list as there many be nearer 15 now). Butcher is one, can you name the others?

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree.

Not sure how West Ham's record after Sam left them is his fault though, but like blaming Fergie for David Moyes' reign at Man Utd...

What I meant was Billic immediately improved on Allardyce's 7th place, sure it's gone sour now with the pretty disastrous ground move and an unhappy dressing room, but Billic took the team where Allardyce couldn't.

1 minute ago, North London Red said:

Very true, although I think it's fair to differentiate between someone like Terry Butcher (born in Singapore but qualified for England through parentage) and Sven Goran Eriksson, who would never have qualified as a player and who hadn't ever worked in the UK before taking the England job. But you are right, there are certainly grey areas here. 

And you've reminded me of a good trivia question...something like 12 players have played for England at full senior level since 1975 who were born outside England (I would need to check the full list as there many be nearer 15 now). Butcher is one, can you name the others?

No. I'm going to pick me daughters up then drive to AG! I'll make a start with John Barnes and Owen Hargreaves. someone else can do the other 9 ;)

21 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Le Saux and Le Tissier?

23 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

No. I'm going to pick me daughters up then drive to AG! I'll make a start with John Barnes and Owen Hargreaves. someone else can do the other 9 ;)

Barnes, Hargreaves, Le Saux and Le Tissier join Butcher on the list. 

Off the top of my head the others I can think of are Raheem Sterling, Luther Blissett, Tony Dorigo, Rob Jones, Brian Stein, Cyrille Regis and John Salako. Might be missing one or two. 

Well.

:disapointed2se:

I am ashamed of some of the posts on OTIB today.

Frankly, for ANYONE to call anybody associated with the England set-up or the Premier League 'greedy' shows a total lack of understanding of the financial system in the UK.

Earning millions and millions for doing something you love is not greedy - it is normal.

Tsk, tsk.

If you want a fair society, than I suggest we all vote Corbyn in 2020. Then things will be fair. We can all labour in the fields for 14 hours a day.

Really - you guys!!

:disapointed2se:

Uncle TFR

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

He is England manager and with that should come some extra responsibility for the good of game.

He is on £3 million doing the job he always wanted surly that's enough , so why do he feel the need to attend these shandy meetings. He come across now as greedy.

Shandy meetings? Now there's a strong allegation.

2 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

where has he given advise on how to do that? He said its possible and that people do it...he hasn't told them how its done.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

where has he given advise on how to do that? He said its possible and that people do it...he hasn't told them how its done.

It's piss poor judgement from a man already mired in a scandal some years ago and a man who is now England manager, to even put himself into a position with people that he does not know, it probably falls into the it doesn't look very clever category, he's been complete tool and only has himself too blame, safer and far more sensible for him to have said "I don't know you, i'm not sure what you want, call my employers if you want to set up a meeting".

15 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It's piss poor judgement from a man already mired in a scandal some years ago and a man who is now England manager, to even put himself into a position with people that he does not know, it probably falls into the it doesn't look very clever category, he's been complete tool and only has himself too blame, safer and far more sensible for him to have said "I don't know you, i'm not sure what you want, call my employers if you want to set up a meeting".

If it say's in his FA contract that he's not allowed to do work for anyone else, then I'd agree...but does it? I very much doubt it. Who else in this world has an employer that bans you from doing other work? As long as what he does doesn't infringe with his FA Work and compromise it, he can do what he wants. Hence him saying he would have to put it past the FA as to whether it contravenes football law.

Archived