IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Leeds United Match Day Thread

Good day everyone,

For those who recall the murmurings of Welshness that I briefly explored around the old settlement of Loidis, previously considered the capital of Elmet or, in Welsh, Elfed , might be pleased I have decided to re-visit this, shall we say, odd curiosity of our history. For everyone else, my apologies for the waffle that is about to begin.

According to a genetic study published in Nature (19 Mar 2015) the local population of West Yorkshire is genetically distinct from the rest of the population of Yorkshire, and indeed the rest of England, suggesting that families in West Yorkshire who have been in the area for many generations are descendants of the original Elmetsæte or Forest of Elmet as history has oft referred to.

But before we all go ooooh look the people from Leeds are all taffies we need to go back to 410 AD to understand really what happened. Only then can we eat a subtantial amount of home made pie and go... ooooh look, we are all taffies.. what a shocking revelation. Allow me to explain, not to pontificate as that would be very Roman and, in 410 AD they were no more in these Islands. So they left, leaving Britain as a self governing bunch of rag bag kingdoms of which the lands loosely agglomerated as 'Welsh' was by far the largest. Take a look at this map:-

Britain_in_AD500_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_16790.jpg

Pretty unequivocal. One of the reasons the Romans scarpered was because of the barbaric Angles and Saxons who later became the English whom, descending from lands they had conquered in Northumberland and southern Scotland, attacked the Welsh at the Battle of Chester in 616. King Ethelfrith being the Anglian victor over the Welsh speaking Selyf ap Cynan or King of Powys. The Britons were therefore defeated by the Anglo Saxon descendants from Germanic, Danish and Dutch lands. Interesting to remind ourselves that the hitherto kingdoms that today make up Scotland and Wales were British and yet, especially in the case of the Scots, they tend to shout the loudest about not being Brits. Is that the proverbial irony? 

The Battle of Chester cut the final link that the Welsh kingdom had with the north or 'Old Lands' that extended into Southern Scotland and otherwise called Hen Ogled. In the southern part of these lands that included Rheged, Strathclyde, Elmet and Gododdin Brythonic or Briton was spoken as well as Old Welsh. The lands of Hen Ogled, Wales and Cornwall were the dominant lands that made up the Kingdom of Britain. Northern Scotland was for the Picts and only the western fringes of Scotland were Gaelic in origin. To the curious eye that explains why the Southern Scots tend to be a lot more vociferous about independence; its an Irish conspiracy I tell you with the British wanting to get their own back on the English.. what an inglorious bunch of barstards we are.

Which brings me to Massimo Cellino and nothing to do with his 44th manager in 24 years although as an aside; Gary Monk's ancestors came to these shores after the Norman conquests and the Battle of Hastings of 1066. He is a relative newcomer. Cellino, on the other hand, goes back a lot further than that. Beyond even the Angles and the Saxons. A Roman conqueror no less. However, I shall refrain from exploring that here, just now, and wait for another day until I dig more earth into the subject and ensure my current smattering of knowledge is converted into relative facts. For now we simply know the modern day football club owner as "direttore mangiatore" or the gaffer eater. 

Three wins on the bounce for Leeds so can they make it 4? or have they met their Waterloo? Interestingly the Kingdom of Sardinia, from where Cellino hails, is an island that frequently went to war as a British ally against the Kingdom of Naples and Napoleonic Italy in the early 1800's. So perhaps we should consider his more modern ancestry more than his ancient and a be a little kinder on the day, assuming he fancies coming all the way from Sardinia or Leeds to Bristol to watch a game of football.

There were three 'Coalition Wars' where Sardinia sided with the UK and we won 2 of them.. so I am going for superstition and a City win tonight by 2 goals to 1 and somehow there will be an Italian connection to one of our goals. I am still trying to figure that out.

Are we going to see our highest crowd of the season? it is important we keep above the 20k average. Enjoy the match today or rather this evening and roar us on up the table and send Cellino, Monk and co back to whence they came with their tails between their legs.

UTC.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 17
13 minutes ago, Chivs said:

All I can see from that map is that the Southern Welsh come from dementia.

And you seem to be suggesting that the Scots come from the irony age.

Irrespective, God might have to drive through Yorkshire but only because when he goes on holiday he goes to Somerset.

A magnificent 2-0 win for us.

I have no issue with that remark.

To be honest I feel a tad cheated no mention of the following:-

The flat caps, the whippets, the brass bands playing.  The smoking chimneys from real coal fires.  The cobbled streets.  The dry stone walls.  The unspoilt beauty of The Dales.  Chips wi’ bits and fizzy pop on t’way home.  Beef dripping on bread and a pint of hand-pulled real ale.  The curves of a Henry Moore, the colours of a David Hockney and the fast bowling of Fred Trueman.  A proper cup o’tea with proper biccies.  The neighbours that wave from across the street.  The postman that knows your first name.  The tastiest grub.  The friendliest folk.  Emmerdale Farm.Champions of Europe.  

Apart from these minor omissions as always an excellent read.

Thank you 

Edited by Abraham Romanovich
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

For those who recall the murmurings of Welshness that I briefly explored around the old settlement of Loidis, previously considered the capital of Elmet or, in Welsh, Elfed , might be pleased I have decided to re-visit this, shall we say, odd curiosity of our history. For everyone else, my apologies for the waffle that is about to begin.

According to a genetic study published in Nature (19 Mar 2015) the local population of West Yorkshire is genetically distinct from the rest of the population of Yorkshire, and indeed the rest of England, suggesting that families in West Yorkshire who have been in the area for many generations are descendants of the original Elmetsæte or Forest of Elmet as history has oft referred to.

But before we all go ooooh look the people from Leeds are all taffies we need to go back to 410 AD to understand really what happened. Only then can we eat a subtantial amount of home made pie and go... ooooh look, we are all taffies.. what a shocking revelation. Allow me to explain, not to pontificate as that would be very Roman and, in 410 AD they were no more in these Islands. So they left, leaving Britain as a self governing bunch of rag bag kingdoms of which the lands loosely agglomerated as 'Welsh' was by far the largest. Take a look at this map:-

Britain_in_AD500_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_16790.jpg

Pretty unequivocal. One of the reasons the Romans scarpered was because of the barbaric Angles and Saxons who later became the English whom, descending from lands they had conquered in Northumberland and southern Scotland, attacked the Welsh at the Battle of Chester in 616. King Ethelfrith being the Anglian victor over the Welsh speaking Selyf ap Cynan or King of Powys. The Britons were therefore defeated by the Anglo Saxon descendants from Germanic, Danish and Dutch lands. Interesting to remind ourselves that the hitherto kingdoms that today make up Scotland and Wales were British and yet, especially in the case of the Scots, they tend to shout the loudest about not being Brits. Is that the proverbial irony? 

The Battle of Chester cut the final link that the Welsh kingdom had with the north or 'Old Lands' that extended into Southern Scotland and otherwise called Hen Ogled. In the southern part of these lands that included Rheged, Strathclyde, Elmet and Gododdin Brythonic or Briton was spoken as well as Old Welsh. The lands of Hen Ogled, Wales and Cornwall were the dominant lands that made up the Kingdom of Britain. Northern Scotland was for the Picts and only the western fringes of Scotland were Gaelic in origin. To the curious eye that explains why the Southern Scots tend to be a lot more vociferous about independence; its an Irish conspiracy I tell you with the British wanting to get their own back on the English.. what an inglorious bunch of barstards we are.

Which brings me to Massimo Cellino and nothing to do with his 44th manager in 24 years although as an aside; Gary Monk's ancestors came to these shores after the Norman conquests and the Battle of Hastings of 1066. He is a relative newcomer. Cellino, on the other hand, goes back a lot further than that. Beyond even the Angles and the Saxons. A Roman conqueror no less. However, I shall refrain from exploring that here, just now, and wait for another day until I dig more earth into the subject and ensure my current smattering of knowledge is converted into relative facts. For now we simply know the modern day football club owner as "direttore mangiatore" or the gaffer eater. 

Three wins on the bounce for Leeds so can they make it 4? or have they met their Waterloo? Interestingly the Kingdom of Sardinia, from where Cellino hails, is an island that frequently went to war as a British ally against the Kingdom of Naples and Napoleonic Italy in the early 1800's. So perhaps we should consider his more modern ancestry more than his ancient and a be a little kinder on the day, assuming he fancies coming all the way from Sardinia or Leeds to Bristol to watch a game of football.

There were three 'Coalition Wars' where Sardinia sided with the UK and we won 2 of them.. so I am going for superstition and a City win tonight by 2 goals to 1 and somehow there will be an Italian connection to one of our goals. I am still trying to figure that out.

Are we going to see our highest crowd of the season? it is important we keep above the 20k average. Enjoy the match today or rather this evening and roar us on up the table and send Cellino, Monk and co back to whence they came with their tails between their legs.

UTC.

Condensed Version

Leeds:

Shithole in Wales.

Sorry if you don't like Waffles or the Welsh President Massimo Cellino

City 2-0

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Well hopefully we will win tonight and Saturday, Leeds and Forest are their for the proverbial taking. Current form we are 30% ish chance of making the playoffs.... beat Leeds and forest and who knows....

https://experimental361.com/2016/09/25/e-ratings-update-championship-25-sep-2016/

ScreenShot_20160927113848.png

I wouldn't be surprised if the final league table looked something like that. 

Ah but @havanatopia Welsh (or Waelsc) was the term Saxons used for any non-Germanic tribesman. It is an over-simplification to suggest the modern Welsh are the descendants of ancient Britons "pushed back" into the bit of land no-one particularly wanted. Mitochondrial DNA analysis presents a more nuanced view.

On another note, people with the surnames Welsh, Welch or Walsh are not necessarily of Welsh ancestry, just foreigners in the areas where they received their name.

Anyway, my contribution to Havantopia's impressive work of scholarship is to note that prior to the early 90s, Leeds was the only place in the UK where it was acceptable to drink Tetley Bitter. It really did taste different there.  Now, however, it's brewed in Hartlepool and tastes horrible everywhere.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ah but @havanatopia Welsh (or Waelsc) was the term Saxons used for any non-Germanic tribesman. It is an over-simplification to suggest the modern Welsh are the descendants of ancient Britons "pushed back" into the bit of land no-one particularly wanted. Mitochondrial DNA analysis presents a more nuanced view.

On another note, people with the surnames Welsh, Welch or Walsh are not necessarily of Welsh ancestry, just foreigners in the areas where they received their name.

Anyway, my contribution to Havantopia's impressive work of scholarship is to note that prior to the early 90s, Leeds was the only place in the UK where it was acceptable to drink Tetley Bitter. It really did taste different there.  Now, however, it's brewed in Hartlepool and tastes horrible everywhere.

Keith Welch can come from Timbuktu for all I care. He's still a legend.

Going for a 1-1 draw. Tomlin to score. Better keep an eye on Tammy though. I feel Leeds might try and take him out...

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Unfortunately I am going tonight, which as some of you know, doesn't bode well.  12 games without a win, and in 6 games this calendar year, I've only seen 1 City goal.  Let's hope it's 13th time lucky!

To balance your bad luck, you should know that the last time I missed a home league game we won 6-0.

I am not going tonight.

Edited by Chris_Brown
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Unfortunately I am going tonight, which as some of you know, doesn't bode well.  12 games without a win, and in 6 games this calendar year, I've only seen 1 City goal.  Let's hope it's 13th time lucky!

Right, OTIB to set up a go fund me page for ChippenhamRed to keep you the hell away from Ashton Gate tonight!! 

• Like 8
25 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Who else was at Elland Road in 1974 for the FA cup replay? I was there as a teenager, when we scored I went totally berserk and nobody within 20 yards of me moved! City till I die and I nearly did back in 1974.

Yes indeed, as a 15 year old. It was a midweek afternoon due the power crisis. Presumably must have been during school half term?

As I said on the other thread, I was on the packed side terrace amongst the home fans and didn't celebrate the goal at all.

In fact didn't move a muscle - the vast majority of Leeds fans that day looked ready and more than willing to punch a City fan if they found one!